Monster 696 with Givi 780FZ Luggage Rack and Trekker Top Case - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Monster 696 with Givi 780FZ Luggage Rack and Trekker Top Case

After 3 attempts over 2 years, I finally have my Givi 780FZ rack installed. The issue was the 4 mounting bolts under the seat. I bought the rack the first time and could not remove any of the 4 bolts without stripping the heads. They have a small 5mm allen head. I sent the rack back at that time. A year later I bought the rack again thinking I'd either heat up the bolts with a torch, or just take it into the dealer. Torch did nothing (they were very hot too), and the dealer wouldn't even touch them, told me to heat them up, Lol. Sent the rack back again.

This time I got smart and worked on the bolts before ordering the rack! I had to drill out 2 of them. I was lucky to drill them straight and stopped one size short of hitting the threads. They came out then. The other two I was able to get out by hitting them on an angle with a center punch. This was a trick a mechanic friend told me about.

Next issue I had is I needed to relocate the turn signals. I have a tail eliminator kit and the turn signals were right in line with the support bar. Last issue I had was I ordered the M8 top plate. This is the expensive ($100) all aluminum plate. It's thinner and therefore lower than the M5 or M7 plastic plates. Apparantly the M8 is not compatible with the 780FZ arms. I had to drill two 1/2" holes for the nuts of the two mounting studs so the plate fit flush. These are the studs that hold the back of the top case on the plate. Of course the holes where just about above the support arms, so had to use a die grinder to get them out to 1/2" size. Last issue is I had to drill 2 more holes for the rubber bumpers as they were right above the mounting arms too. Would have been a lot easier with the M7 top plate! But the M8 is really nice.

Here are some pictures. It does sit high and far back, but keep in mind this is a 46 liter case, it's huge. I can fit my laptop backpack and leather jacket in there easily, or 2 bags of groceries. I may get a slightly smaller top case to for short trips.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2010 Monster 696, 1981 Yamaha DT175, 1979 Yamaha XT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Whoah! that is one big ass top case and imo is too high and too far back. Somewhat departs from what monster should generally look like. That will surely affect handling as it messes up the bike's center of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstard View Post
Whoah! that is one big ass top case and imo is too high and too far back. Somewhat departs from what monster should generally look like. That will surely affect handling as it messes up the bike's center of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I use it for commuting to work. Holds my laptop bag. It pops right off with the push of a button. Just nice to have as an option. Should get a smaller case though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode