speedo is gone fugly - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

speedo is gone fugly

Hi,
so i picked up a new to me s2r and the clocks on it ave yellowish.
I though that maybe it was dirty but at a closer look it seems the actual face clocks are fading yellowish.

is this normal ? any place I can order new faces for this monster and make him pretty again?

Last edited by pawelgawel; 06-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Have not seen this on a Ducati, but I would look to buy the upper bezel with the clear lenses. Maybe someone has a gauge cluster that is burned up (electrically, not physically) or suffered crash damage to the lower (expensive) parts.

If you have other bikes and are not time-sensitive, watch eBay. You might get lucky who knows?

I have taken old Suzuki instrument lenses from completely frosted over to near-new, using sandpaper. Start around 220-320, take off the yellowed plastic. Wet sand (water), go easy...you don't need to remove much, and every deep scratch you put in with 220 will take a lot of time to remove with 400, and a lifetime more working up to 2400.

Work your way a step at a time up to 2400 or 3600 grit, then polishing compound, then wax. There is a kit/product called MicroMesh, used for light aircraft Perspex windscreens. It won't include the 220-320-400-600, but will include the finer grits and polishing compound...and you can buy the coarser at NAPA/Home Depot. etc.

Failing that, I believe I saw a thread where someone did a DIY on carving out the old lenses (carefully) with a Dremel, buying some Perspex, forming new lenses and installing them into the original bezel.

Given the Ducati's immobilizer, more than a few people have explored options other than paying $1600+ for a new set of instruments, ECU, etc.

Please let us know what you decide, and how it works out. Others will benefit from your experience.

Best regards, Rich
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

im certain its the actual faces that have gone from white to yellow and not the lenses, although they do show a little age.. is there a source for original face guages?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 PM

I bought a new unused and removed Euro set off Ebay with the white faces a few months ago for about $220. Interface got along with it just fine.

The cluster is not hard to dissasemble if you are careful. Best bet for you is to find a cheap damaged set to salvage the face from.

Last edited by valvebeater; 06-08-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Looks like they went up a bit since then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Ducati-...dZBKwX&vxp=mtr
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

lol
crazy how much these go for.. I found a guy on ebay who can get me the white face, I just have to be patient as they don't have it in stock and they need to make it.. $33 USD for the faces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode