Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Hydraulic Clutch on a 2015 Monster?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wheelsdeal 
#1 ·
Hey all. Broke my left hand earlier this year and squeezing that clutch is still causing me pain. I was wandering if a hydraulic clutch is easier and if it's even a mod you can get put on my Monster?

#2 · (Edited)
Well, first, what kind of a Monster is it? That will have a lot to do with answering the second part of your question.

Second, a hydraulic clutch may or may not be easier to actuate than a cable clutch. That depends on the sizing of the master and slave cylinders, the lever design, etc. If modified with the specific intent to make it easy to actuate, it probably could be done.

Third, is this a permanent condition? If it's just temporary until your hand heals, your best bet is probably to just limit your riding until it heals. If it's a permanent injury, then modifying your clutch might be worth it, although it won't be cheap (even assuming it's possible on your model).

Another option could be to pick up an Aprilia 850 Mana to ride for a while.

PhilB

#3 ·
Oh, sorry, it's a Monster 821. I suppose my hand will improve over time, but in case there's some nerve damage and pain long term, I'd consider changing over to hydraulic. But, it's it's not going to be much easier, then I'll have to see how I heal long-term...

Yeah, my wife says to back off riding, but it's the riding season and I'm very stubborn that way... The season is short enough here in Ohio, so I tend to hit the road hard and often...

#4 · (Edited)
a) Practice shifting without the clutch. That will ease the problem. Then you'll only have to use it for full stops.

b) If a hydraulic clutch can be adapted to an M821, it will almost certainly have to be based on the idea of transplanting it from an M1200. You might try taking a testride on a 1200 Monster to see if the clutch on it helps enough to consider the swap.

c) Heated gloves are the secret to a longer riding season. The year I lived/worked in Ohio (2010/2011 near Cleveland) I was able to ride about 10 months of the year, without even having heated gloves yet. I put it away for the winter on 06Dec, and was getting it out for at least occasional rides by late February. With heated gloves now and decent gear, I can ride pretty comfortably for an hour at 20°F (-7°C), which gets me 9 months a year on average in New Hampshire.

PhilB

#6 ·
With a hydraulic clutch, though, you can fiddle with the ratios. Different master cylinders and slave cylinders can alter the pull needed. For example, years ago stock Duc hydraulic clutches were known to be heavy, and there were aftermarket slave cylinders available that made them easier to pull.

PhilB

#7 ·
I've read many sources that say to remove 2 of the springs from the clutch for a lighter action. Now that was for years prior to the 821/1200 so I can't vouch for your particular bike. I was never comfortable with the idea myself. You could try it, if you feel any clutch slip then put the springs back in. I switched to stainless steel springs on my bikes when I did the open clutch conversion, I know yours isn't dry, and the clutch felt night and day different as far as how hard it was prior to pull in the lever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.