Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Hey Guys!

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  memetic 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a long time since I posted here. Hope everyone and their Monsters are well. Last time here, I had my 2001 Monster 900 loaded in a crate destined for Dubai (from USA). I was going to Brazil first for a few weeks before Dubai. Well, I got married to a Brazilian and never made it to Dubai.

My bike is still in the USA. I want it here in Brazil, but it is prohibited to bring any used vehicles into Brazil -- illegal -- not even a riding lawn mower. The only way to do it is to ride it in, which is legal. The only thing is you have to say it is not permanently staying here in Brazil. I would have to keep USA plate and registration.

So, I want to make a trip from Michigan to Brazil while I am still young enough to do it. I looked it up and I see it is a popular trip to go from Alaska all the way to the tip of South America (on the Pan-American Highway). The only "problem" is you have to take a ferry from Panama to Columbia -- the so called "Darién Gap". No big deal, there are ferries running all the time and its not too expensive for a bike.

Has anyone here ever done this? Or know someone? Also, if anyone is interested in going, let me know -- even if it is just for a section of the trip. Would be nice to have company.

M

edit: I forgot my main point LOL. I want to have a complete inspection done on my bike. Is this something I should do with Ducati dealer shop? Or could any motorcycle mechanic do this? I have to bee 100% positive I don't break down on this trip. It would be a complete disaster.

See less See more
#2 ·
You will break down on the trip. It's what happens. Let's face it, first of all you'll probably need at least one oil change and air filter maintenance, possibly even a rear tire along the way. Flat tires aren't as much of an issue as in the past, but do remember you are "riding into the past", as in once you cross out of Texas you'll be 10 to 20 years behind the US. Tire repairs will be performed over a fire using another tire as a patch. You must anticipate and plan for the break down. I would at least pack a tire plug kit and find an old school check valve pump that you put into a spark plug hole and use the engine to refill the tire.

Before I left I would,

Replace all brake pads, less than $100, and replace the clutch and brake fluids.

New belts and have the tensioners and pulleys checked over.

New chain.

New battery. Test voltage regulator. Buy a used spare or change to a MosFet style FH220A. There is enough room under the saddle to keep a spare R/R next to the original.

Oil change and filter. I would actually consider replacing the filter with one from Scott that is cleanable and reusable. Oil will be everywhere but that particular filter might not.

Air filter, again consider a K&N style so that you can clean it, oil it, and reuse it. You should also see if anyone makes a prefilter screen that can be installed on the stock set up, or consider changing to a Beast Kit from TPO with K&N pods and pre-filter bags. The pre-filters are practically waterproof and super fine dust just falls off of them. You will find conditions to be less than ideal as you head south.

New spark plugs, and install an extra set of new ones under the seat along with the ones you took out. Plugs can be fickle. You might have troubles with the new ones and it could turn out that for some reason the old ones will work best. Don't forget the spanner for the plug.

Take some tools for sure. Pack everything that will be needed to remove both wheels and all brake calipers. If you have a flat, don't just think someone will have the tools that will fit. Take screwdrivers, pliers, and Allen keys that fit your bike. Of course it helps if you know how to wrench on the bike. I would also pack a Haynes manual or LT Snyder manual. Chances are any mechanics you do find may have never seen your bike before. Pack a few pairs of Nitrile rubber gloves, surgical type. Clean hands after doing some work will be the difference between being totally pissed off and only slightly bothered.

Your ass will hurt. Pack some powder to keep your thighs silky smooth instead of red and raw. Powder your underwear if you've never done it before. Also your feet, socks, and riding boots. You don't need expensive Monkey Butt powder, cheap gold bond will do and it has a cooling sensation. My long distance buddies all swear by seat beads and sheepskins. I've not tried it but you might ask around. They keep air flowing under your butt to help prevent sore ass.

Definitely pick up one of those stupid $5 anti-fatigue cruise control things that snap over your right grip. They will take a lot of stress off of your hand for long distance riding. I would even consider new grips on the bike, properly glued down. Just having new grips can be the slightest thing that makes the ride a little more civilized.

Buy an MSR fuel canister they sell at the camping store. In fact, if you'll be camping on this trip buy a Whisperlite stove that burns unleaded. That way you can keep the canister full. I sold a bike to a guy that came back and told me he had ridden it into Mexico 8 times after I sold it to him. On his route was one stretch that he and his friend ran out of gas the first time. They bought the canisters and it was the difference between being stranded and making it to the next filling station, and it only held 1/4 of a gallon. They come with a hole in the screw top lid that makes it easy to tie it to the frame somewhere. I'm still using the original canister and stove I bought 15 years ago when I started motorcycle camping.

Extra set of clutch and brake levers. Might even see if you could pack up a foot peg and shift lever. If your bike gets tipped over you'd be screwed as they break so easily. The drivers down south, as you are probably aware now, aren't so friendly and law abiding as up north. Getting bumped is a reality.

I'm jealous as hell. It all sounds so fantastic. I wish you the best of luck.

#3 ·
Hey CRMike!

Maybe you remember one of my last posts about my bike being stolen and they rode it like they stole it. You said something like - why do these people do this. I recovered the bike and replaced a lot of parts, clutch, tires, brakes, etc. The insurance actually paid me over three times the price I paid for the bike. It was the best worst thing to happen to me. I still felt like my girl had been violated, but then I started to think more like I was pimp. Pimped out my girl for a bankroll. LOL. She is better than OK now.

You got a lot of good recommendations posted there. I will definitely cover those bases. This will be my first trip over a few hundred miles. I have to be honest, it is kind of scary.

This I did not know: "...it could turn out that for some reason the old (spark plugs) will work best." Thanks for that.

"My long distance buddies all swear by seat beads and sheepskins. I've not tried it but you might ask around. They keep air flowing under your butt to help prevent sore ass." LOL. Good point. I know when I used to ride a two hundred mile trip to a vacation spot, I used to stand up on the bike for a few miles here and there. I am a fairly skinny/athletic guy, so I don't have too much fat on the ass for protection. I never saw beads for bike seats, but I will look it up.

"Definitely pick up one of those stupid $5 anti-fatigue cruise control things that snap over your right grip." Yes, they are stupid. But....

"Buy an MSR fuel canister they sell at the camping store." Did not think of this. Good Point!

"Getting bumped is a reality." Yes, totally. I have seen too many videos on LiveLeaks to verify this. I think perhaps Brazil is the worst of all. For some reason, I have a bad feeling about passing through the South of Mexico. I am not worried about any other parts of the trip. I am in pretty good shape with six years of MMA training -- eight years of Jiu Jitsu. I am not the baddest guy around by far, but I can defend myself.

I will post pics of the trip here when it happens.

Thank You!

M

#4 ·
"On his route was one stretch that he and his friend ran out of gas the first time."

This reminds me of a time I ran out of gas in a very bad ghetto in New Haven, CT (my gas light and gauge had an issue at the time). I used the starter to drive about two miles to a gas station. Thank Odin my battery was new and the starter was strong.

#5 ·
I took my little baby RS125 out for a 160 mile ride to dinner, just got back. If you like Falafel and Dolmas, I've got a place for you.

While on the road I had yet another thought. If I was going around the world on my Ducati, I would want to install a chain case saver before I left. $20 insurance to prevent a busted ass case should a chain skip, slacken, or break. Too many threads about this happening, and one very recently.

And as a side note, you do plan on at least one 1,000 mile day right? Might as well look into registering for an Iron Butt patch.

#6 ·
Actually, I wish I knew about the case saver a long time ago. I already sent the chain through this bike's case a few years ago. I took it apart and fixed it with JB Weld and extra reinforced it with a thick sheet of aluminum like the case saver. I don't think I can fit a case saver over what I did (but maybe it is time I find out). I ride pretty hard and it has been many years -- it is solid.

I don't know about the 1,000 mile day. I've been riding for 32-34 years and I never heard about this Iron Butt (I am going to register). I'm checking it out now. If I do it, it will have to be the first part from Michigan into Mexico. When I get past Mexico, I plan to do a lot of sight seeing and lots of stops. I will probably never go to any of these countries ever again (and have this much time to do it also), so I am going to make the most of it.

"If you like Falafel and Dolmas, I've got a place for you." OK, when I get to Texas. Thanks.

M

#7 ·
I am pretty sure I am going to book the Stahlratte ship to get me and my motorcycle around the Darien Gap. It looks like a lot of fun and a vacation in and of itself. There are lots of youtube videos of other motorcyclists travelling around the Darien Gap on the Stahlratte. It looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNvYIQH3dE

I am looking around now for tank bags. I don't want to load my bike down -- I don't need a tent and full camping gear setup, I just need the essential tools and supplies. I can sleep on the ground without a tent if I need to.

Anyone have any recommendations for this type of thing? I prefer the tank bag because I like to keep the weight in the center of the bike and I also like the idea of mounting the GPS to the tank bag. My other setup had the GPS mounted to the upper triple (I have clip-ons), but it covered the gauges.

#8 ·
I think at the very least I would want this, or something like it.. https://www.rei.com/product/830267/eno-onelink-hammock-shelter-system-with-doublenest-hammock

A simple hammock and tarp would suffice. Just something to get off the ground and under some sort of shelter should the weather take a turn. A tent hammock can be an amazing thing when the bugs and mosquitoes get thick. My hammock packs very small.

You are welcome to stay and visit here in the Austin Texas area. Have a place to park your ride inside where it's safe and take a shower before heading back out. You can reach Mexico in 5-6 hours from here.

#9 ·
Caferacermike Thanks! I have a simple hammock and a "deluxe" hammock, but that one you posted is much better for this sort of trip.

Also, thank you for the offer for some down time and shower -- I very well might take you up on that. I haven't researched the USA section of the trip yet. I am concentrating on the South American section. But, I think passing through Austin is doable.

I'll be posting here regularly as I work this out. I really hope to meet up with other guys from the forums to ride through sections of this trip. This will be an epic trip for me and maybe the last, because my new wife is getting nervous already. LOL.

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.