Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Cafe Racers

7K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  marlene996 
#1 ·
How do you feel about all the cafe racers? I personally love seeing all the old bikes back on the road with a fresh new look!

I got into bikes with my first bike- 75 RD350! So I have a soft spot for the vintage!! I love the monsters as they carry over that simple look!

I have a survey if anyone wants to take a second to fill out-
https://docs.google.com/a/weebly.co...Ufg/viewform?chromeless=1&edit_requested=true

Help make some awesome things happen ;)

I am also getting excited since my monster is getting closer, and have had some progress on my vintage Duc Racer :)

#3 ·
Depends on the builder......I either love em or hate em. The originals were built for pure speed 1st & style a distant 2nd if at all. Seems to me most of the ones I've seen built since the craze took off again are the opposite. If you want to spend a boatload of time and cash to build something to ride to the bar and admire, buy a Harley. It's all about essence.

I love to see all the guys rebuilding CB400/500/550's with nice skinny light weight wheels and upgraded suspension and racing the hell out of them, granted there "slow" but I'm thinking of joining that crowd! Rather have an RD though!

#4 ·
Can't stand em.

I will be buying the new Triumph Bonneville Thruxton R next year. Should look great parked next to the Paul Smart.

#5 ·
I dropped off a bit with not having any vehicles running- was a tad depressed lol. The monster is still down, but getting closer..

I do want to buy another RD to mod a bit and race :) :) :) Man that thing is such a fun little bike!

The Triumph never quite stuck with me. I think they're done fabulously, just don't tickle my fancy :p

#8 ·
I don't know if it's "bringing" or "asking". I've seen one sitting on eBay around $21,000 for some time, while another just hit at $35,000. Not sure what it all really means.

Might have to scratch the Thruxton R..................... Something red caught my eye yesterday.

#9 ·
I really love classic cafe racers, but not the "new retro". And I've seen a beautiful goldwing cafe and a super ugly one.

Post pics of your favorites!

#18 ·
LOL, I'd like to see a picture of your perfect cafe-job :grin

#23 · (Edited)
This is one of my all time favorite Monster builds and epitomizes "cafe racer" imho...

Compared to my own effort at a mild custom Monster he took me to school, and at probably 1/10th of the cost. Light flywheel and FCR's for motor performance upgrades, which in reality achieve 90% of what I did, the final 10% being insane money for not very much additional power...took a slim budget which forced him to choose the right mods the first time and knocked it out of the damn park. I've never seen a Monster I keep going back to look at over and over that really had barely been changed. Visuals are pretty much a Cycle Cat yoke and clip ons, Motogadget tach, custom seat, tail chop and thats...****ing...it! Why is it so amazing? Is it magic? I had to throw crazy money around to pull off a bike 1/10th as cool.

http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-monster-900

My 2nd favorite Monster build, Duc Stu/Flight Cycles M900 "SS2R" (FAR from a "budget" build but features a ton of skilled fabrication, namely the SSSA conversion;

This bike was a contract build for someone who apparently got bored with it a couple years later. It ended up in some non bike persons hands 2000 miles across the country who sold it on eBay for $6700. I wanted to cry. This was in the early 2000's when there was SO much bad ass aftermarket for the 1st gen Monster. Motocreations and Cycle Cat weren't going out of business and ripping people off, Roadracing Italia, Gia.Ca.Moto and Di Pretti Moto existed...wish I could go back in time and stock up on parts.

#24 ·
Personally I don't find the new gen monster fit the "cafe" style that well because of the hump of a gas tank and low seat. My "cafe" image has more straight lines and boxy shapes. But that black and gold bike reminded me of this one that you posted on Mtewes7's thread about exhaust...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrlv098i4JI&feature=youtu.be

#27 ·
I really had to look at those in a speechless manner. There's nothing left that can be removed really....

This is what I picture when I think "cafe racer"

Reactions: philb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.