Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Dropped my bike..i have questions!

5K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  DucDucG00SE 
#1 ·
hey guys! I have a 2014 796. So i was in a hurry to work. I was making a U-turn to park at really low speeds. I put my foot down just in case and my foot slipped on some dirt. I lost balance and it tipped over to the right. I couldnt bring it back up so i let it drop very slowly. I tried to pick it up myself but i couldnt so i put it down again slowly. It leaked fluid from the top of boxes on the handle bars and also from under near the emissions canister. Its starting up perfectly fine but should i be worried of any internal damages? Like fluid getting into where its not supposed to?

#3 ·
Sorry to hear Xenno. Safe to say everyone here at some point has dropped their bike. I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about internal damage but anytime you're talkin about leaking fluids I'd be cautious. I dunno any way to be sure things are not a-foul other than taking it to someone to give it a once over. I'm sure you don't wanna spend the money but for piece of mind that's absolutely the path I'd take.

#6 ·
Brake and clutch reservoirs typically have a vent hole in them. Leaking when turned over would be normal as they are not in their typical position. Definitely get it cleaned up as it is very corrosive. As to your oil leak, hopefully its just a loose connection that can be tightened. There is a possibility that it could be a damaged nipple after hitting the ground and it has a crack. Clean it well and then fire up the bik and look for the leak. Maybe you'll see it.

#8 · (Edited)
the internals are fine. I've gone down at 70 mph on a bike and it started right back up and functioned fine, so a light drop is nothing.

brake fluid will take paint off. wash it off well.

The leak by the emission canister was probably fuel escaping through the overflow hose. no big deal.

As far as the oil leak, I'd clean it off and ride it and see if it leaks again. Sometimes something will leak because it's not used to being on its side, but when it's right side up, it functions fine. Or it could be a loose connection, like mike said, but not necessarily caused by the drop. If so, you just need to tighten it up a bit.

This your first bike? I'm assuming, not because of the drop, but because of your terminology: "boxes on the handle bars"

#10 ·
Ride it, it's fine!

The brake fluid thing is no where near as big an issue as it was in your Grandfather's time. Brake fluid was a big issue with when it was DOT 3 and the paint was laquer, but with modern paints and DOT 4-5 fluids not such a big deal. All the fluids leaked out of places where air was supposed to enter, and if you don't let the fluids get there again by dropping the bike it will be fine.

Nothing hurt but your pride, it's not perfect now so you can ride it harder!

#11 ·
The brake fluid thing is no where near as big an issue as it was in your Grandfather's time. Brake fluid was a big issue with when it was DOT 3 and the paint was laquer, but with modern paints and DOT 4-5 fluids not such a big deal.
I know first hand its a big deal depending where it gets. My buddy and I were out for a ride last year when his front brake line started leaking. It took us less than 30 minutes to get to a gas station to clean up his bike and patch the leak. In that time, the paint on his tank blistered everywhere a drop of brake fluid landed.

#14 ·
First bike...

Bought before learning how to ride... that's awesome!!!
So ride this one about 550 miles then get rid of it before the 1st. service and buy a Street fighter or something without "abs" you will really enjoy the experience. No roll eyes... I seemingly offended someone last week.
[thumbsup]

#15 ·
Bought before learning how to ride... that's awesome!!!
So ride this one about 550 miles then get rid of it before the 1st. service and buy a Street fighter or something without "abs" you will really enjoy the experience. No roll eyes... I seemingly offended someone last week.
[thumbsup]
Do not follow this advice.

PhilB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.