Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

What a difference a 14T front sprocket makes!

55K views 71 replies 30 participants last post by  drspencer 
#1 ·
Instant power off the line, doesn't feel like I'm lugging the engine at 3500rpms.

Easy job to do yourself too! I highly recommend it.

One complaint though, why doesn't Ducati list the torque setting for the two bolts you loosen to adjust the chain tension in the manual?

#2 ·
I'm planning on doing it soon as I get the time. What did you torque them at?

#6 ·
I recently put a 14T sprocket on my 796 on the advice of my shop mechanic will getting my 600 mile maintenance done. Wow! What a difference this makes. I can now ride in stop and go traffic without the bike shuddering and having to ride the clutch so hard. The bike definitely accelerates harder, but works so much smoother at the lower revs. I agree that this is how Ducati should gear the bike in the first place.

#7 ·
I'm still breaking in my 2011 1100 EVO, and I rarely can use 6th gear without feeling I'm lugging the engine or needing to go 90+ mph. The 14T is something I'm going to do right after 1st service. Where are you guys buying the 14T gear? Ducati part or aftermarket?

#10 ·
The dealer installed my sprocket while doing my 600 mile maintenance and used a part that they had in stock-not sure what brand, though.

#14 ·
I was going to do it on my own, but I just don't have time any more. So I figured I could ride it to A&S drop it off and pick it up later and I'd be done.

Not much at all.

Hundo, where did you go? I got mine done at Ace Motorsports.

#16 ·
Did mine today. Much nicer with the 14t. Why I didn't have them install it when I bought it was dumb on my part ;-)

#18 ·
I've only got 355 miles on mine and the 14t smoothed it out for sure. It still needs some fueling corrections as it still is lean, which gearing wouldn't fix that anyhow. 2nd & 3rd gear is mich better, pulls harder. I try and stay at 4500 or higher so, staying in 4th gear a lot ;-)

#19 ·
I ordered a 1100 evo yesterday, with a 14t sprocket specified.
Couldn't see any reason not to do it from the get go.

Used to bag loads of torque from the cruiser. But of course that weighed almost 400 kgs too.

Heated grips and a Ventura rack make up the mods for now.
Hopefully delivery will be in December.

#23 ·
Had the dealer put in a 14T at first service earlier this week, and today I did a couple hundred miles - and made the riding so much better. No more lugging the engine in lower gears, and I can actually use 6th gear at speeds under 90. This change makes the bike much more road-worthy and rideable in everything but the track. I have no plans for track days, so for me, it was a great modification.

#25 ·
No speedo healer needed. The speedo is not affected and is read differently then a jap bike

#30 ·
One complaint though, why doesn't Ducati list the torque setting for the two bolts you loosen to adjust the chain tension in the manual?
So nobody replied to that original question. I do have the same concern. I can't imagine torquing them at all or else it would affect chain tension :-( On my Jap there was a counter bolt that you could torque to prevent the setting from moving...

#33 ·
Hi all. Which manufacturer/part # for the 14t did you all use? I've used Vortex sprockets in the past, but haven't found one to fit my 2012 1100 EVO. I'm guessing it's the same sprocket at the 2010 at least. Maybe the same at 2009 also?

#36 ·
The one my Ducati dealer sold me is the Pitch 525 drive sprocket from Drive Systems USA. Part number is #52613C14.

Says it is for the Ducati 749/998/1098/1198 on the package.

#38 ·
According to the 2010 1100 Monster w/ABS manual, 31nm is the correct value with a 5% tolerance.Thats about 23.5 lbs ft. Loctite is good, (especially on V/L-twins), but it is no substitute for correct tourque. Sometimes the tourque specs are to provide the proper clamping force, not just prevent fasteners from backing off. I'd be glad to forward a copy of the tourque specs from a 2010 1100 Monster manual if anyone would like. Its too large to attach here, but pm me and I'll e-mail. As far as I know these specs are unchanged through 2012.
Aloha

#39 ·
Speedo error...

Those of you have noticed your speedo reading fast, it has nothing to do wit 14T vs 15T front sprockets. The manual (2012) says the speedo is 8% fast. No explanation, but my experience has confirmed this. Sprocket will not affect speedo as speed data is derived by ECU from wheel speed sensor(s).
Aloha

#40 ·
Those of you have noticed your speedo reading fast, it has nothing to do wit 14T vs 15T front sprockets. The manual (2012) says the speedo is 8% fast. No explanation, but my experience has confirmed this. Sprocket will not affect speedo as speed data is derived by ECU from wheel speed sensor(s).
Aloha
Yeah, I confirmed this with my local shop. They said there was also nothing they could do about adjusting it. My experience has also confirmed something in the ballpark of 8%.

#44 ·
My math says change from a 15t to 14t front should give you about a 250-300 rpm change at 75-80 mph. This will vary a bit based on the other factors in the equation, actual gear ratio of 6th, final drive ratio of trans etc. varies from model to model. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.