Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

696 vs. 796 vs. 1100

188K views 179 replies 61 participants last post by  SDRider 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Stunning conclusion: "Ride them and choose the one you like best"

#5 ·
Go for 1100 otherwise you will know that there is more out there....

I am glad I bought 1100 because if I hadn't I would be be constanly thinking about it. The difference in the models is pretty big unlike the car trims. If there was no 1100 then probably I would have been a satisfied 696 or 796 owner but Ducati had to create 1100 and take our money.

If power and speed is not your thing that it 696 might work out for you. People on the road may not know the difference between 696, 796 and 1100. But anyone who looks at 1100 knows it is the Real Monster - tire width, engine grunt, swingarm, dry clutch, and the super quick acceleration are the things I can't let go.

#64 ·
I am glad I bought 1100 because if I hadn't I would be be constanly thinking about it. The difference in the models is pretty big unlike the car trims. If there was no 1100 then probably I would have been a satisfied 696 or 796 owner but Ducati had to create 1100 and take our money.

If power and speed is not your thing that it 696 might work out for you. People on the road may not know the difference between 696, 796 and 1100. But anyone who looks at 1100 knows it is the Real Monster - tire width, engine grunt, swingarm, dry clutch, and the super quick acceleration are the things I can't let go.
You forgot about the wheelies... ;D

#6 ·
But the question remains: Why aren't people buying the 1100?

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it. I don't know if 8 horsepower and a single sided swing arm are worth a thousand bucks, but I would have considered it.
The 1100 just isn't my style. It wasn't a money thing, it would have only been an extra $50 a month, but, I'm not going to go to track days. I don't need blinding accelleration that you really can't use day to day on the streets. I don't need the extra maintenance expenses. The extra umph may be nice for touring, but if I did a lot of that I'd get a bike that would do a better job keeping the wind off of me. I'm also 44 now, so I'm past that age where I feel that I need to prove myself by the size of my... motor.

Personal pet peeve: All this "beginner bike" and "starter bike" stuff is a load of cr@p. I started riding 26 years ago, I'm not a beginner. I'm just a guy who decided to ride a 700cc bike.

#8 ·
Well said. My head is spinning from all the 696 posts here and on other forums. The reality is: the 696 is a Ducati. It's priced just right. And it's fun as Hades where it matters. Sure you'll eventually question the suspension and the power. And... you'll wonder if the DP ECU/Termi kit is worth 2K, or if you should trade up for the something "bigger". BUT there are no regrets! Just ask around...

Anyone can go fast in a straight line. But the 696 shines where lines get curvy. Last weekend I passed a 1098 on the outside in the mountains. He caught up with me eventually on the straights, and did what he had to do. But not without a fight.

I'll miss this bike some day.

#10 ·
Shoes you like
Do you want to have a comfort shoes to fit your foot, please land on our website choose you fell satisfaction's product ,We supply all kinds of styles of sports wear,jeans,handbag,hat,sport shoes such as air Jordan, Nike, nike dunk, nike tn ,nike kobe, Adidas, Puma,redmonkey d so on.you can see my website! The payment we accept paypal ,Western Union and money gram.
I hope you can find you like and contact with me !

#11 ·
We all need to remember a few things here about the 696,796,1100 question

1. all of these bikes go from 0-60 mph in approx 4 seconds
2. all od these bikes have a top speed of around 130 mph
3. all of these bikes look really cool, exotic, sexy, etc..
4. all of these bikes corner like a fly
5. all of these bikes are Ducati

There are many different points and reasons to the 3 new Monsters, and simply looking at their engine sizes does not tell the whole story, it's a bit more complicated than that..................................

#14 ·
I think that all this needs to be put in to perspective.

The 696 has more power than the Monster 750, the Monster S2R 800, and the Monster 900.

If it's all about speed and power, why is anyone riding these older bikes? The answer... It isn't. It's about buying a bike you like and not having to justify your choices to the rest of the world.

Besides, if all you were looking for was speed and power, you wouldn't be looking at Ducati, you'd be out there with the Hayabusa crowd.

#15 ·
I suggested HD or a cruiser if you are not looking for speed and power, maybe a chinese scooter might also satisfy your needs. We are talking about 696 vs 1100, lets stick to that. I still think money is the single most important reason why any guy would buy 696 and not 1100. You are just trying to play money's importance down while justifying 696 with less crucial points.

#16 · (Edited)
Gondolier, you are right, it is all about money, you bought a Monster 1100 because you could, not because you needed to. I would put money on you timing yourself on a twisty road somewhere, taking turns on all 3 Monsters, I guarantee you couln't do a faster time on the 1100, infact you would probably be best on a smaller machine. Of course in a straight line over a mile the 1100 would be fastest, that's called drag racing and it's really boring.

sf

ps. does having a big throbbing engine between your legs make you think that you are bigger in another department..........................................................

#17 ·
I absolutely LOVE it when people decide that they are going to force their beliefs and agendas on other people. That "why would you buy that?" mentality is very telling.
I imagine that it is pretty much like that for everything.

"why did you buy that 48" tv? I have the 52" you must not have enough money for the 52."

"why didn't you get the V8?"
"well because the V6 is 300hp"
"Should have gotten the V8, that's what I have"

This is copied from Ducati.ms
696 1100
0-60 3.71 3.38
0-100 9.79 8.35
0-120 18.53 16.03
Standing 1/4 12.31@108.07 11.89@112.23
Standind Mile 34.37@127.20 33.55@131.11
Top Speed 129mph 132mph

If you feel you need to make judgments about people based on those small differences, then you and your buddies at the gym can have at it.

#19 ·
You're right... I don't know what I was thinking. :)

I still want to know if I would be "cool" if I had a Monster 900 or an S2R 800?
You know, since I'm somehow less of a man because I have a more powerfull bike than either of those.

#27 ·
You've become tiresome. Buh-bye

#30 ·
So, I'm new to the forum and haven't even bought that S2R1K yet (still "discussing" it with the wife re: savings). Still, at the risk of being out of line, I'm pretty disappointed by the sniping regarding others' bikes and the manner in which it's been done. Gondolier, you must realize that if you replaced "1100S" with "CVO Fat Bob" and "696" with "Sportster 883," you'd sound exactly like one of those neanderthal Harley guys, right? Or maybe Hayabusa and GSXR 600? Either way, you're busting another rider's b*lls over the bike they chose.

So what if it's what they could afford? Why call them out on it? Most of us can't afford all the bike/bikes we want. What does it do to punk out a fellow rider of a great brand?

So what if it's what they're comfortable on? Why give someone a hard time if they have more fun on an easier bike?

FWIW, when I rode an SV, I never encountered another rider derisively discussing another's decision to ride the 650 rather than the 1000. It's a shame that some Monster owners don't show that level of respect and maturity.

Sermon's over, let's join together in song.

#31 ·
Coming from the poor side of life I am finding everything in my power to justify an 1100s. Am I broke, no. Do I work, yes, two jobs. Am I in debt, not as much as most people. Am I wanting a new bike, hell yes!

In my heart I want an 1100s because it is the top in the line of Monsters. I want the extra power and torque. Do I need it, absolutely not. Would it be more wise to purchase a 696 or 796? In the end I would even say yes.

To me this is my chance to finally have a Ducati that I WANT. It is not about specs and performance for me. I simply want the best of the line. Is it dumb for me to extend myself for what I want? I do believe so. I will never have another chance in life to be able to get what I want - 1100s.

If I was to buy a 696 I can guarantee that I would be sad and wonder why I never followed my heart.

Ducati is the Ferrari of motorcycles to ME. That being said, I will never own a Ferrari, but I sure as hell will buy an 1100s because I want to.

This is all about what we want in life. If you are viewed as something you are not because of a bike, that is sad. My goal is to get into serious debt with an 1100s, barely make the payments for 5 years, enjoy the fact that I have a Ducati in my garage, and not give a rats @$$ what other people think.

#32 ·
I have only owned my 1100 Monster since last fall and found this forum soon afterward. This is the first thread I have read that has got this immature so don't give up yet. I have three different bikes, all different styles. A custom Victory Vegas, a Can Am Spyder and the Duc. All have a purpose and fill a "need" LOL. Gondolier is a little bit of a poser and as he argues about how important power is as he spends his cash on body kits. Why not upgrade to the "S" instead? If ultimate performance is so important and he has the cash why not a _________. There are plenty of machines out there that will run away from the Monster. There is nothing to be gained by lambasting someone because he bought a bike he liked. Who cares if it is a 696 or an 1100, the important thing is that he has a bike he enjoys, and honestly, who would think of a 696 as a girls bike? Not me. I chose the 1100 because of the torque advantage and the SSS. BTW, I ride with a couple of girls on occasion and my bet is they would be able to run away and hide from 90% of the guys I ride with. The 696 is a great bike at a great price. Nuff said.

#33 ·
I am new rider as of this season, and I decided to go with the M696 as I really wanted a Ducati. It was a bike I could be really happy with for a long time and not have to think about upgrading to something else right after I bought it like if I would have went with another typical starter bike like a Ninja 250rr or GS500F or some other non-spirited bike.

From another point of view, it's not too hyper of a bike to start out on, although I've had dirt bikes before, I didn't want to get in over my head with 100+ horsepower etc. I'd feel terrible if I damaged something quickly after buying it, or having to spend more money to recondition it.

I'm very pleased with the 696. 2.5 months I've logged 8000+ kms. I love that monster! It puts a smile on my face everytime.

Maybe in a couple years when I feel more experienced, I'd go for the flagship 1100S, but I'm very happy to have the M696.

#37 ·
A Delightful Ride

Yesterday I bought a 796, and for me the issue was not one of money at all, as there was a great deal being offered on the 1100 and I had the funds for one if I had wanted it - basically, the issue was how and where I like to ride, and what I wanted out of my bike.

More is not always better, especially if you are not going to actually use it. In the way that I like to ride, and where I like to go, the 1100 would have more power than what I would need and use, while the 696 wouldn't quite have the power I'd desire, so the 796 was the perfect bike for me.

Last I'd checked, the dealer had not gotten in the 796, so I went thinking I'd be buying the 1100, but they had just receive their first shipment of 796 bikes, so that's what I came home with - and I'm very pleased with it!

To me, as the video states, it is all about how and where you ride - the 796 is a great all around choice, just fine on the interstate, and very nimble on a canyon run; it is perfect for me, as though made for exactly how and where I ride.

I'm sure for others the 696 or 1100 would be perfect, depending on what they want their bike to do.

It seems to me that all three are "Real Monsters" - each perfectly delightful and beautiful machines.

In the short time I've had it I certainly have fallen in love with my 796 - my ride home yesterday, taking the very long way home, was completely blissful and satisfying. I have no doubts about my choice and won't be thinking I should have gotten a bigger bike.

Enjoy your ride:)

#39 ·
Pic

I'll have to work on the pic, as I'm not all that skilled with this internet stuff, but perhaps I can get my friend to help me post a pic. My bike is the standard "Ducati red," as the dealer I went to did not have much in the way of color selection - but I do like the red, it works just fine.

I just got back from my second ride, now with about 400 miles on the bike, and the love affair just keeps deepening. Today was even more enjoyable because I'm getting used to the bike and what it will do, and the tires are not so slick anymore, allowing me to attack the corners harder.

I tried a cruiser for a while, a Vulcan 1700 Classic, and before a year passed I got bored - so returning to medium sport bikes is quite a treat, and this Ducati is excellent on the Sierra foothill and mountain roads I ride. I can hardly wait until I can push it full force.

I will see about getting a pic though...

Enjoy your ride!:)

#40 ·
I've been looking at the new Monsters as a second bike to supplement my Sport Classic, something that is more comfortable to ride, and also to carry a passenger.

When it was just between the 1100 and the 696, the 1100 was the clear choice for me. The 1100 has more power than I could ever need, but I was worried the 696 would be lacking when riding two-up. But besides that, the dry clutch, superior suspension, and the single sided swingarm were all attractive to me.

If cost were no concern, would I have gone for the 1100S? Yes, just to see if the Ohlins suspension was all they said it was, even though I am sure the adjustable Showa would be more than satisfactory for me. But since cost IS a concern, I can never justify the price leap for the 1100S.

Now between the 696 and the 796, I would go with the 796. For a thousand bucks, I get at least the single sided swingarm and 7 more HP, which is important to me just for the two up riding.

The harder question is choosing between the 1100 and the 796. I keep asking myself is the additional two grand worth it for the adjustible suspension and the dry clutch (of course I am also buying more power which I do not need). I am having a having a hard time justifying the cost, even though I really like the dry clutch. But I really am not happy with the non-adjustable Showa fork on the 796, having just spent a lot of money modifying the non-adjustable Marzocchi forks on my Sport Classic. I feel you are always better off starting with a good fork, rather than trying to tweak a cheap one.

The verdict is still out, but since cost is a factor, I will likely compromise and go with the 796. The white one is absolutely gorgeous.

#41 ·
The harder question is choosing between the 1100 and the 796. I keep asking myself is the additional two grand worth it for the adjustible suspension and the dry clutch (of course I am also buying more power which I do not need). I am having a having a hard time justifying the cost, even though I really like the dry clutch. But I really am not happy with the non-adjustable Showa fork on the 796, having just spent a lot of money modifying the non-adjustable Marzocchi forks on my Sport Classic. I feel you are always better off starting with a good fork, rather than trying to tweak a cheap one.

The verdict is still out, but since cost is a factor, I will likely compromise and go with the 796. The white one is absolutely gorgeous.
Not sure where you are, but have you considered used? I just picked up a two-month old M1100S with Termi pipes/ECU and 250 miles for less than a new 796 would have cost me.

Were I to have bought new and everything was selling at list price, I would definitely have gone for the 796.

#52 · (Edited)
I have to say that this is my biggest cause for hesitation about picking up a new Monster. I get all the performance I want with my Sport Classic Sport 1000. I am looking for two things in a second bike, a more relaxed riding position, and something I can carry a passenger on most of the time, albeit for short rides of an hour or so.

I can make a choice between the 1100 and the 796 depending if I decide I really need an adjustable suspension. But neither bike will work if the lady won't go out on the bike because it is too uncomfortable.

#43 · (Edited)
I gotta say I love my 1100S, that Ohlins suspension makes me look like a super star. I've always had chicken strips on my rear tire until now, wore both tires out in 3 days of riding in Mountainhome, AR.

#44 ·
I've wanted a Monster for many years. Last November I bought a Buell Lightning instead of a Monster because I got a great deal on it, and to me it was an interesting motorcycle. Luckily it came with fully adjustible suspension. That thing is squirly with the factory settings. Makes it hard to go inbetween the cars in heavy traffic in Southern California. It was difficult to ride the white line. I had to figure out how to tweek the suspension to make it ride really stable, like a Ducati 900SS I used to own. Now it's easy to ride the white line and go inbetween the cars. It's like riding a completely different motorcycle. I didn't know suspension settings made that much difference.

Having said all that, I still want a Monster. I rode behind one last week and was thinking how much fun it would be to ride it. I love the unique Ducati exhaust sound.

I think it's important to ride what you like. Ride what you want to ride. Don't ride what someone else says is the better bike. Don't buy a bike you don't really love just because you got a great deal on it.

I would definitely consider the 696 or the 796 except for the fact that they don't come with fully adjustible suspension. I never bothered changing the suspension settings on any previous bike I owned. The Buell forced me to learn about it. Now I will never own another motorcycle that doesn't have fully adjustible suspension. To me it's that important because I can make the motorcycle ride the way I want. My next bike will have to be the M1100S. I'll pay extra for the Ohlins suspension. I look forward to fine tuning it, but I don't look forward to the monster balls. Man that seat's gotta go.

#45 · (Edited)
Malibooya, Great points about riding what you like, riding what you want. It's only common sense but unfortunately, we all have to deal at some point in time or another with the individuals who feel compelled to tell you what is best. It doesn't matter what one rides, it's the fact that we ride that counts.

As far as the adjustable suspension issue, I bought an M1100S just for that reason. You may want to think about the 796 however. Just guessing but the opinions I have read from other posters is that the M1100 is not selling up to expectations. If this is true, my guess is Ducati will soon offer a 796S.

I have the DP comfort seat just for the reason you mentioned and I very happy I made the purchase.

#46 ·
Yea, buy the bike that makes you want to go out to the garage just to look at it. It's that emotional connection that's important to have. Buying the right motorcycle is not a logical choice based on facts and spec sheets.

If Ducati offered the 796 with adjustible suspension, I'd be all over it. The way I ride, it would be the perfect motorcycle for me.

Good to know about the comfort seat. It's an easy solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.