»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 06-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 696 vs. 796 vs. 1100

British website Motorcycle News (MCN) has posted an interesting video review comparing the three Monsters. Link here.
Elrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stunning conclusion: "Ride them and choose the one you like best"
TonyDiv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

... But they did all say they preferred the 1100, even their 'novice'
NikosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

No question the 1100 is superior in every way, but it costs a lot more to buy and insure, so.... no can do.

2011 Red Monster 796 w/ABS
pmarangoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lightbulb Go for 1100 otherwise you will know that there is more out there....

I am glad I bought 1100 because if I hadn't I would be be constanly thinking about it. The difference in the models is pretty big unlike the car trims. If there was no 1100 then probably I would have been a satisfied 696 or 796 owner but Ducati had to create 1100 and take our money.

If power and speed is not your thing that it 696 might work out for you. People on the road may not know the difference between 696, 796 and 1100. But anyone who looks at 1100 knows it is the Real Monster - tire width, engine grunt, swingarm, dry clutch, and the super quick acceleration are the things I can't let go.
Gondolier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

But the question remains: Why aren't people buying the 1100?

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it. I don't know if 8 horsepower and a single sided swing arm are worth a thousand bucks, but I would have considered it.
The 1100 just isn't my style. It wasn't a money thing, it would have only been an extra $50 a month, but, I'm not going to go to track days. I don't need blinding accelleration that you really can't use day to day on the streets. I don't need the extra maintenance expenses. The extra umph may be nice for touring, but if I did a lot of that I'd get a bike that would do a better job keeping the wind off of me. I'm also 44 now, so I'm past that age where I feel that I need to prove myself by the size of my... motor.

Personal pet peeve: All this "beginner bike" and "starter bike" stuff is a load of cr@p. I started riding 26 years ago, I'm not a beginner. I'm just a guy who decided to ride a 700cc bike.
TonyDiv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Only thing I hate about the 796 is that they offer it "stock" in the Dark color with red frame.

It took me a long time to work out a panel swap on my M1100 so I'd have a Dark Monster with the red frame! Now mine won't be as unique...
BPA5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it. I don't know if 8 horsepower and a single sided swing arm are worth a thousand bucks, but I would have considered it.
The 1100 just isn't my style. It wasn't a money thing, it would have only been an extra $50 a month, but, I'm not going to go to track days. I don't need blinding accelleration that you really can't use day to day on the streets. I don't need the extra maintenance expenses. The extra umph may be nice for touring, but if I did a lot of that I'd get a bike that would do a better job keeping the wind off of me. I'm also 44 now, so I'm past that age where I feel that I need to prove myself by the size of my... motor.

Personal pet peeve: All this "beginner bike" and "starter bike" stuff is a load of cr@p. I started riding 26 years ago, I'm not a beginner. I'm just a guy who decided to ride a 700cc bike.
Well said. My head is spinning from all the 696 posts here and on other forums. The reality is: the 696 is a Ducati. It's priced just right. And it's fun as Hades where it matters. Sure you'll eventually question the suspension and the power. And... you'll wonder if the DP ECU/Termi kit is worth 2K, or if you should trade up for the something "bigger". BUT there are no regrets! Just ask around...

Anyone can go fast in a straight line. But the 696 shines where lines get curvy. Last weekend I passed a 1098 on the outside in the mountains. He caught up with me eventually on the straights, and did what he had to do. But not without a fight.

I'll miss this bike some day.
tuanogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDiv View Post

I chose the 696, and honestly,I'm kind of tired of having to justifying my decision. If the 796 were sitting on the showroom floor when I bought it, I may have considered it.
Exactly! If the 1100 was selling well they wouldn't have offered the 796. Ducati is very disappointed with 1100 sales.

I've placed an order for a 796 just because it's supposed to have a slightly more comfortable riding position. I'll give the demo a test ride next week and see if that's true.

2011 Red Monster 796 w/ABS
pmarangoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Shoes you like
Do you want to have a comfort shoes to fit your foot, please land on our website choose you fell satisfaction's product ,We supply all kinds of styles of sports wear,jeans,handbag,hat,sport shoes such as air Jordan, Nike, nike dunk, nike tn ,nike kobe, Adidas, Puma,redmonkey d so on.you can see my website! The payment we accept paypal ,Western Union and money gram.
I hope you can find you like and contact with me !
zzaa11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement