Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

696 vs. 796 vs. 1100

188K views 179 replies 61 participants last post by  SDRider 
#1 ·
#51 ·
Suspension

I can't say that I'm having any issues with the suspension on my 796 whatsoever, although perhaps someone else might have issues, depending on weight and such - one week worth of riding and I have no more "chicken strips." I find that the bike handles perfectly for me and is a delight in the corners.

I ride alone, but if I were riding two up with any regularity, then I'd likely have chosen the 1100 - I'd prefer a heavier bike with a bit more power for that.

I'm having a great time with the 796, however - light, but plenty of power for me.

Enjoy your ride:)

#58 ·
Hey guys. I got around 8,500 to spend on a bike and i really like the monster. I have had a street bike, but i have rode dirt bike for a couple years. I was wondering i anyone could let me know which bike would be best for me. Like i said i only have 8,500 and i could probably afford the 796 with abs, but i'm leaning toward the 696. Should i go for the 796 or is it not worth the money?

#60 ·
It's a tough call... Both bikes have impressive power, and share the same lackluster suspension.

With the 796 you get a few more ponies and a single-sided swingarm. You'll need a specialized rear stand if you plan to do any of your own maintenance.

If the 796 existed when I bought my 696 I probably would have purchased the 796 because I really like the look of that swingarm. The extra power wouldn't have mattered to me so much at the time.

#65 ·
jsriley....i bought the m796 about two months ago now and I'm not gonna lie, it was mostly for looks, the single sided swingarm. But also, my friend who has been riding a over 6 years now owns an s2r 800 and told me i would probably out grow the 696 pretty quickly. 8hp doesnt sound like alot, but these bikes are light and it does make a difference. It is my first streetbike and I use it to commute to work everyday. It gets me through traffic in DC no problem, nice and torquey to weave through traffic, and when i hit the freeway, well, it def gets me going.

eitherway, any monster you get will be a pleasure to ride, just wanted to give my opinion. Have fun, and be safe

#66 ·
Thanks pal. I agree I would love to get the 769, but it might be just out of my price range. With the abs it goes up to 10,995. Plus i got to get jacket, gloves, helmet(s), tremi kit, tag eliminator kit and i want the Imola 72 monster art. Dam saying all that makes my stomach turn. I only have 7500 plus what ever i can get by selling my 04 honda crf230f with gear and trailer. Hopefully i can get 1500 for that. Know that I think about I only need one kidney. Anyone looking to buy the other?

#67 · (Edited)
The 696 is the best buy by a long shot. The 796 is heavier, uses an older engine that makes about the same power (I would say that whatever extra power it makes is negated by the extra weight and larger tire), the same suspension as the 696, has more unsprung weight with the bigger 180 tire and a fugly red frame. The 796 is not worth the extra cash IMHO. The 1100 is worth the some of the extra cash as it has adjustable suspension, a little extra power and better brakes.

I too was constrained by the lack of cash and the 696 has been wonderful. Change the front sprocket and slip on some exhaust and she's great. By the way the extra power of the 1100 does not equate to much extra performance really. The 696 is as quick as your average Lamborghini, the 1100 is just a tick faster (2 tenths or so in most measures). The real question is how fast is fast enough? For the cost of an 1100 you could get a Hyabusa...

#69 ·
The 696 is the best buy by a long shot.
I agree, best value.

The 1100 is worth the some of the extra cash as it has adjustable suspension, a little extra power and better brakes.

By the way the extra power of the 1100 does not equate to much extra performance really.

The real question is how fast is fast enough? For the cost of an 1100 you could get a Hyabusa...
Haven riden the 696 for a hundred miles or so and owned the 1100, they are completely different beasts. The 696 is the easiest motorcycle in the world to ride, a true asset to the world of motorcycling.

I would argue easier than a ninja 250 because it is lighter, you don't have to modulate the clutch soo much because of lack of power, the brakes, suspension, and handling are farrr better.

But the 696 and 1100 could not be anymore different.

The 1100 is a true MONSTER. The dry clutch is grabby, the bike always feels nervous or pissed and the torque difference is 26 ft-lbs! Not 1-2-5, 26ft-lbs. It is a snarling beast, get a little grabby with the throttle, and the front wheel is in the air in 1st and 2nd. It compression brakes like no other bike I have ridden, locks the back tire up effortlessly without rev matching, and if you give it a little more throttle than it wants coming out of a corner, hold on for some head shake. With stock gearing and fueling, it is not happy below 4k rpm or 5 mph and requires a lot of clutch work. It embodies everything I think a monster should be. It is an absolute thrill to ride, without being overbearing and untamable. In stock form they need a 14t front, better fuel mapping, and a steering stabilizer in the worst way.

The hyabusa comparo is laughable, might as well been an elephant or a lawn mower.

A better analogy would have been street fighter, which IMO has no purpose in the world to exist, but I am glad it does. It does everything the M1100 does dialed to 11. It is not easy to ride, it will eat your children, and after you piss your pants you will never be able to get the smile off your face. It is unrelenting, unforgiving, and not for the faint of heart. It will kill you if you are not careful. I am convinced it works better than a pharmaceutical grade shot of adrenaline. And there is currently one sitting next to my m1100 in the garage ;D.

The 796 while not the "best value" is a necessary stop gap between the M1100 and 696. Most people will never need or want more. Over the 696 it has better midrange, arguably better looks, but should come with adjustable suspension for the price point.

FWIW 1 mile on the M1100 and I new I had to own it.

All that being said the 696 is a great bike and I would be happy to own one, BUT I'm glad I bought my M1100.

#68 ·
I couldn't agree more. I'm not ready for a litter bike and the red frame of the 796 doesnt go with 90% of the paint schemes. I'm getting the black 696 with abs and ordering the imola 72 kit. Now all I need is a badass bluetooth helmet. Is the oneal good?

#71 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to change or paint the red frame on a 796 to black. Is it a big job to paint? I really like the 796 but that red frame looks like trash unless you get the red bike. Any advice?

#85 ·
i too was looking at 6 vs 7. i opted for 696. local dealer in clt had new 09 CHEAP. single sided swing arm is ok to look at, but when i heard that sbk pipe behind me. that was the clincher. i dont wanna look at the thing. i am all honda all the way before this. sold my 919 for the duc. it is a great urban assault vehicle. lotta fun in traffic. up the NC mountains monday :0).

#87 ·
Personally I didn't like the red frame at first either, but after riding it and looking at the deal I could get on the red one, and now owning one, it grew on me.

696 with a termi kit is a fun bike.

796 stock is where the 696 with termi kit would be.

Both are super easy to ride and fun.

To put black trellis on 796 requires sourcing one either new or off ebay. They are all over ebay for about $500. Then you'd need to swap it out.

So net to you 796 with black trellis is $1000 more MSRP + $500 frame cost + install.

This is the question you need to answer:

Is the single sided swing arm with black frame worth $1500+ to you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.