Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Long distance touring

34K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Monaroman68 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Monster or a Streetfighter for my 2nd bike. Has anyone done any longer distance touring on either of these? I'm thinking of taking a 2500-3000 mile trip around the west and midwest next summer and I'd like some feedback on comfort level for 5-7 hours a day on the road. I'm leaning more towards an S4r than the new Monster 1100. All around I'd definately prefer the Streetfighter as my 2nd bike but it may not be as comfortable in the long haul as an S4r.

#2 ·
I've got a 07S4R-T monster myself..

I sat on the Street fighter in the dealer

I feel the seating position is more forward raked and "agressive"

the monster felt more upright to me

chances are the monster will be more comfortable

but the Streetfighter is Oh so sexy..

#3 ·
Wow, that kind of mileage on a Monster!! My butt would be in for a total replacement. I'd look for an ST3 or even better a Mulitstrada. I'm numb after about 200 miles on my 696 Monster. I think that there are many more bikes better suited for the type of distance you are contemplating than a monster. I assume that you must be under 30 years old to even contemplate taking a Monster or Street Fighter on those distances.

#5 ·
Well, I'm a few years north of 30. I neglected to mention that I would be spreading the miles out over two or three weeks so 5-6 hours a day might be my norm. I went to the local Ducati dealership on Saturday to see the new bikes up close and I looked at the Multistrada too but it's just so dog ugly I don't know if I could love it after my journey. Both the Streetfighter and new Monster were comfortable, the Monster a little more so. Maybe with an aftermarket seat (Corbin??) they would be good for 300 miles a day?

#6 ·
If you've just got to have a Monster to do that kind of mileage I'd recommend the Ducati Touring Seat and Jese Racing (Ebay seller)bar riser (to compensate for the additional height of the DP Touring seat. Those were the by far the two best improvements that I made to my Monster to tame it a little for longer distance riding. Right now I think I saw someone offering a DP Touring seat in this forum for about $175, which is a good price. The back cowl will fit on the DP Touring seat too.

#7 ·
You are not even trying to ride long distances, I been on many long rides on my M750 like 4,000klms over 1 week, 300 miles is only 480 klms the longest ride for me in 1 day was 1,240 klms I was stuffed after that. I like the monster because it has sports handling and you can take it touring, get a lambs wool cover for seat to save your butt, I might add iam 58 and still riding a lot.

Cheers
Jack

#8 ·
I actually just picked up a S4R S-T last week and decided to take a 5hr ride Sunday and I have to say i was fine and very comfortable. The only part that kinda sucked was anything over 90mph on the highway since its a naked bike. I plan on tryng to go cross country on it next summer.:eek:

#9 ·
I'm north of 50 years old and have put in a few 500 mile days on my Monster. There's a lot more to touring suitability than just seat comfort or wind protection. Sure, for 500-600 mile days on the Interstate, you'd probably prefer a Gold Wing. For 300 miles of dirt roads in the Great Basin or northern Canada, there are better bikes as well. But for a mix of slab, twisties, urban, even a bit of smooth dirt, the light weight and great motor make a Monster quite nice (though I'm sure any non-Supersport Ducati would be equally good). The first thing to hurt for me is my knees ... a taller seat or lower pegs would be nice. Next is my clutch hand - I have a dry clutch M900 with stock slave cylinder and it does get heavy after 10 hours.

Enjoy - dman

#13 · (Edited)
I honestly can say the Monster would be a good choice.

Here is why.

I have owned many bikes and never found that "perfect" bike for all occasions. Example is the GoldWing. Great touring bike and I would like to have one for when the moment comes I can run away for a week or two, which in my case will be in 20 years once my kids are grown and my wife is completely sick of me.

If you have ever read Peter Egan's books you will understand the "perfect bike" reference. Problem is, there is not one. Sure you can live with several different types of bikes for a long time. The closest I have been was my BMW R1150R. It has hard bags standard and heated everything. Coupled with a single sided swingarm and what I found to be great looks, It was equally good touring ( I did an iron butt 1000 miles in a day on it) and carving up twisties. Interestingly enough, when I bought this bike 5 years ago, I was trying to decide between it and Monster. I picked the BMW because of the hard bags.

Back to the Monster. Since you are planning on 500 mile days, you can do it with a few mods like taller seat. There are options for bags such as rear bag, tank bags ect. If you change the bars or add risers, you will get a little more comfort on the arms, which to be honest is not that bad. I am 6'0 and have no problems with comfort. I once took my 748 from Chicago to Myrtle Beach SC. Talk about the wrong bike for touring!

Ask yourself which bike you would want for everyday is my point. Sure the trip may be a little harder on a "non touring" bike, but how many touring trips do you think you will take? It its a lot, then opt for a different bike, but if you are mixing it up, the Monster will be just fine.

For the record, I do plan on touring with the Monster. I will probably ride to Deals Gap next spring to put some miles on it after the winter. I also will try to do Route 66 on the Monster. Smart planning and frequent stops to check out the scenery. Plus factor in the range of the tank, You will be stopping enough to stretch out a bit every couple hours.

Lastly I think the number one thing for touring is having the right clothing. Wearing a leather tight fitting jacket vs. a Aerostich or similar jacket makes a huge difference. I always wear my Aerostich when I ride over 200 miles. When I wear my leather, I am not very comfortable. Leather is heavier and tends to be tight in the arms, which is the first place I fatigue. Invest in good pants also. again they make a huge difference even over denim.

Jim

#14 ·
I regulary put in 1000km days on my monster...first an S4 now an S4rs. Just completed a 7500 km 12 day ride, mostly in the wet, and included a 1600km 21 hour club run through the night, I am 50, 5'7" and my knees are not so hot. I fitted Rizoma rear sets fixed as low and far back a possible, Just fitted a Gel seat, it made a small improvmnet. I am fitting hot grips as I write and am trying to find a supplier for a slightly raised set of WRP handle bars. I prefer touring on my monster than I did on a GS1150 BMW (Size and lack of nimbleness was my complaint)

Reciently I sat on a Street fighter with a raised set of bars, but still was to head down for my comfort. I have a set of saddle bags, a small tank Bag and a seat bag. I am hapy with this set up for touring

#18 ·
My S4rs has a stock seat, I've flipped the bars over for a more aggresive position, installed some heated grips and built myself a luggage rack off the back. Every year for the last threes years I've done at least a 2500 mile trip over 4-5 days on it and I'm fine with it. But I am also just over 6 feet tall with long monkey arms.

I've also ridden an ST3 for a couple hour stint and I'll admit it was a great machine. I'd own an ST for a second bike if I could for those longer trips. But thankfully the monster does everything well.

And because of the RS's awful range I get to stop every hour and a half and stretch my legs. :D

#19 ·
I spent a week on a Streetfighter in Switzerland and France and found no comfort problems. I put 12000 mileson my S4RS in the last 14 months including a 1600 mile trip trhough the mid atlantic sates with no prolblem on the comfort side. S4RS is easier for long days due to the riding position. The part that needs close attention to is how and what you pack. Lot's of neat washables availble now. Travel sizes of toilettries, versatile jacket, pants, gps. I also fitted the Monster with a throttlemeister for long rides on unavoidable interstates. Yes you can install it if you dirll out the handlebars 2 mm. By the way I will be 71 next year and love the light weight of the bike.

#20 ·
I would at least ride the Multistrada. I don't want to tell you what's ugly or not... but after riding one and looking at them more closely, i have to say it is a genius bike that has grown on me a lot. read about them - they get insanely good reviews. most everyone seems to agree they are as much fun as 95% of bikes out there on twisty back roads, but far far more competent tourers than the monster.

#21 ·
The Multistrada has is it all for touring. Fiberglass bags, light weight as compared to most of the heavy weights- FJR1300, ST1300, Concourse 1400. Not as much horsepower as the testastretta engine. I am vertically challenged so it was a bit too tall in the saddle. The S4RS does fine but baggage situation detracts from the "Ducati" look.

#26 ·
I put almost 50k on a S2R 1000, several 1500 mile trips, 500-600 miles a day. I put risers and Ventura bag system on the bike. I bought a Yamaha Super Tenere because I needed more storage. I really wanted a Multistrada, but after an extremely disappointing test ride, chatting with mechanics and several owners, too many problems and shop time. I still have the Monster ( I have yet to have any issue with the bike), and will for a long time..

#27 ·
Mine is an older example, 1993 M900, which I have had since new. We have practically melded, so I can do 500-600 miles a day easily, and have done 900 in a day several times. I have a large magnetic tankbag for main stowage, a backpack for light stuff, and bungee a bedroll to the pillion. I do own a set of hard bags made for the Monster, but I need to modify the mounting frames to be compatible with my aftermarket rearsets, and haven't done that yet.

I've been to 35 states on it so far, plus bits of Canada and Mexico, and hope to hit the rest of the lower 48 at some point. I also want to do the "easy" Iron Butt runs (SS1000, BB1500), just to get the license plate holder, and say I did it.

It'll go as far as you want it to, as long as you can handle the wind blast.

PhilB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.