»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2009 696 help please

Hi,

I'm new here and joined as my wife has been searching for a bike to replace her 2008 Kawasaki ZZR600. It has been a great bike but she is 5'2" and we had to lower it almost 3 inches for her to ride it. In her search of trying to find something that would fit her stock, the 696 has been the best fit so far. We have never owned a Ducati or a twin before so I am hoping that someone has some experience with both of these bikes and can help us out.

She handles the ZZR600 very well and her original intent was to step up to the GSX-R 600 but the 696 feels better and is more upright. Her major concern is how will the 696 feel compared to the performance of the ZZR600. Any new bike she buys has to at least have comparable performance. Anyone with experience on both that can give some real world comparisons of what she could expect?

The other concern is that while it does fit her pretty well and better than any other bike, we still might have to lower it an inch. It's just a fact of life that we have to deal with. Can this bike be lowered easily and how do you lower it? I was looking at the rear shock and it looks like it could be adjusted some but I need to be able to set the sag correctly as she is going to be doing track days on it. That is the major reason she is looking for a new bike as hers is so low, she drags the side of her boot very easily in the corners.

We love the looks of the bike and Ducati speaks for itself so no issues about the bike personally, but if it does not have the power and performance she is used to, she is not going to be happy with it.

Thanks for any help you can pass along. I really appreciate it!
unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ducati actually has a "Low" seat for the 696, which will drop it about one inch. I don't know her weight, but the bike is basically set-up for a rider of approx 160 lbs, so it could be adjusted to compensate for a lighter weight. I'm sure she will love the bike. The 696 is so light and flickable that it is a pure joy to ride.
wmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhayes View Post
Ducati actually has a "Low" seat for the 696, which will drop it about one inch. I don't know her weight, but the bike is basically set-up for a rider of approx 160 lbs, so it could be adjusted to compensate for a lighter weight. I'm sure she will love the bike. The 696 is so light and flickable that it is a pure joy to ride.
I didn't know that and the dealer never mentioned it even knowing that was the reason we came to see it. I'll have to check into that. Being lower, I hope it's still comfortable.

She fell in love with the bike in how it felt and how it looks. Just a tad bit tall and we will need to get a riser for the bars. Being short comes with short arms unfortunately and comfort is a big part of this purchase.

Thanks for the reply and the information!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

not sure if this is going to be tracked that the 696 is going to keep her happy. as a road bike i think it's great and she will love it, but you can't expect an air-cooled 700cc twin to run with 600cc in-line fours at the track..

have you tried a daytona 675? other than that i would check out a CBR 600, but have no idea about seat height compatibility.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty696 View Post
not sure if this is going to be tracked that the 696 is going to keep her happy. as a road bike i think it's great and she will love it, but you can't expect an air-cooled 700cc twin to run with 600cc in-line fours at the track..

have you tried a daytona 675? other than that i would check out a CBR 600, but have no idea about seat height compatibility.
She's not looking to do any racing, but just enjoy track days. I'm a Honda loyal and I ride an 06 1000RR Track bike and an 08 1000RR street bike so the 600RR was the first bike we tried. Way too high with a 33 inch seat height. The Suzuki 600 GSXR is the best fitting 600 that fits her and is another option but street comfort is more important to her and the Monster wins no contest. We are most likely going to pick up a used late model 600 gsxr for a dedicated track bike for her. It's definitely a trade off so just trying to get an idea of how it would compare to what she has which is not as fast as the race ready versions. The ZZR600 is actually the rebranded 1998 to 2002 zx6-r and around 110 hp.

I did check out the lower seat and they may get her all she needs for being lowered with a 20mm lower height.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

one thing is for sure, the ducati will make her feel special when she rides it.

for all the things monsters don't do very well, they ooze character. i'm quite happy just riding a monster without having to risk losing my licence just so the bike feels happy.

we're leaving for a 260-mile round day trip to the coast in about an hour
Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know if this helps, but here is the part number for the Ducati Low seat that is listed on my dealer's website (Commonwealth Motorcycles, Louisville, KY) 96776009B. The list price is $233, but I suspect that you can get a pretty good discount on the piece if you buy it from the same dealer that you bought the bike. I know that my dealer offers a pretty good discount (10-15%) on any items that I buy from them.
wmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I checked out the low seat from Ducati and didn't like the material it was made from. On this particular one, the material was "fuzzy" rather than smooth. Not fuzzy like shag carpet, but, well, rougher than the stock seat. Perhaps they make a different one, I'm not sure.

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, the M696 is not that easy to lower unless you have the shock shortened. You can drop the bike about 5mm in the front forks, and set the pre-load on soft. That might help a bit for the vertically challenged.
opticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticat View Post
I checked out the low seat from Ducati and didn't like the material it was made from. On this particular one, the material was "fuzzy" rather than smooth. Not fuzzy like shag carpet, but, well, rougher than the stock seat. Perhaps they make a different one, I'm not sure.

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, the M696 is not that easy to lower unless you have the shock shortened. You can drop the bike about 5mm in the front forks, and set the pre-load on soft. That might help a bit for the vertically challenged.
Very interesting. Never saw a fuzzy seat unless it was a sheep cover. As long as my wife has been searching for a bike that fits though, short of the thing being pink, it would probably be ok.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

No, not "fuzzy" as in sheepskin, but a different type of material that has a texture to it. I'm trying to think of something around the house that looks like that, but the closest thing I can come up with is a suede jacket that I have. That's pretty close. Hope I didn't mislead you with the "fuzzy" . . . . .
opticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement