Changing the Oil in your forks - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 04-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Changing the Oil in your forks

Hey guys, I have a S2R and would like to have my front end a little stiffer, will adding more oil do this for me without wrecking the fork seals?
ducatiloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Changing the Oil in your forks

You need thicker oil, not more oil. It's a bit more involved that that, though. You can probably achieve what you want by dialing it a bit more pre-load.

Consider having your suspension properly set-up at the dealer.

You may want to have this moved to the Tech section for more input.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

First off, which S2R do you have, 800 or 1000?

The 1000 has adjustable forks, the 800 does not.

Thicker oil is the main way to do it, but additional oil does the same kind of thing, but in a different way (hard to explain without babbling about fluid dynamics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Desmo
You need thicker oil, not more oil. It's a bit more involved that that, though. You can probably achieve what you want by dialing it a bit more pre-load.
Your sponsors:<br />[img width=137 height=182]http://vagabondjoe.com/crying_baby.jpg[/img][img width=121 height=182]http://www.julieharrisphotography.com/people2/images/s_crying-baby.jpg[/img]<br /><br />When my time comes...<br />..that how I wanna go:<br />Stoned, fat and wealthy.. <br />and sittin' on the bowl...
adamsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry it's a 800 non-adjustable forks, I know how to add the oil. What should I be putting in to make my forks stiffer? Grade wise and all?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

+1 on thicker oil.

You'll also need some special tools to make this a less painful process. You can mcguyver it though, you can empty your forks out and measure the amount of oil that comes out but that's not entirely accurate. The better bet is to buy a fork oil measuring tool, basically it measures the distance from the top of the fork to the top of the oil inside the fork. Unless you're comfortable with this kind of thing, I'd suggest you get some help. I've done this once before and help from a mechanic so it was safer that way. Good luck.
EvilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

i believe the owner's manual has a section on fork oil changing.

evilsteve is right on with draining it first to measure. it's pretty easy if you have the right setup.

chock up the bike and remove the front wheel. there is a $2 tool to lock the axle. it is not hard to do, it takes me about 2 minutes to do now.

make sure you locked the forks straight forward (with your key).

there is a screw at the bottom end of both forks. do one at a time. put a large measuring cup under the fork. i have a 2 quart one that i use, it is a tupperware cooking type. the owner's manual says the S2R has 450 mL per tube, but you will probably get less when you drain it.

remove the screw and the oil will drain out. it is not necessary to drain it bone dry, but let it sit for at least an hour or so.

Ducati says to use Shell Advance 7.5 or Donax TA fork oil. I use Spectro. Marzocchi also has an oil available. You can probably use Wesson oil and be fine (just kidding) but we used to use ATF fluid as it is 125 gear oil.

Basically, you want to drain it the best you can, then put the screw back in and measure the amount of oil that came out.

You will put back in this same amount plus about 5% more. You don't need much. Adding oil is going to affect the last amount of fork travel. If you add too much, you get hydraulic lock so do NOT add too much. Can't hurt to keep a log for your use.

The fork oil measuring tool is useful, but it's really just a plastic graduated syringe. You can pick up a veterinary 50cc syringe for cheap ($5-8). I got one free from my vet, I just had to clean it first [laugh]

The point of the syringe is to load an exact amount of oil and squirt it into the tube. You can also just re-use the oil that came out and add additional to it, as Ducati says to change it at 12k miles, but I would just use new.

A 50cc vet syringe:

Your sponsors:<br />[img width=137 height=182]http://vagabondjoe.com/crying_baby.jpg[/img][img width=121 height=182]http://www.julieharrisphotography.com/people2/images/s_crying-baby.jpg[/img]<br /><br />When my time comes...<br />..that how I wanna go:<br />Stoned, fat and wealthy.. <br />and sittin' on the bowl...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for putting this info on here for everyone. [thumbsup]
This thread should be moved to the tech section to make it easier to find in the future.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks adamsduc, thats just the info I was looking for! [clap]
Old 04-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

one additional comment.. when you remove the fork tube plugs (top) have some silicon grease handy to re-grease the o-rings on the plug. it makes it go in easier and seat better.

the BEST wayto do the whole job is to remove the entire tube (bottom half) and drain & clean everything, but that is a whole day job. what i described above will do a 80-90% oil change (and will get most of the crap out if any)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement