Thoughts on day-glo gear? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on day-glo gear?

Looking for opinions on wearing dayglo yellow or optic orange gear. I am a strict believer in ATGATT, but never considered going to this extent until recently. There is a military base nearby and apparently its a requirement that all soldiers have to wear the orange safety vest when riding. This has me thinking about getting one.

So I found the Joe Rocket 5.0 mesh jacket, and this does not look too bad in black/hi vis yellow. I hate to appear vain, but not sure if I can wear this on a red Duc. If its safety vs. style, you would think that safety should trump, but if that were the case, we'd all be riding around in bright orange and yellow gear, right?

Your opinions are appreciated.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-0-Jacket.aspx
14T front sprocket
NoCal Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I JUST (as in 2 hours ago) picked up that jacket in black/the neon yellow color. its a nice jacket and the way i look at it.. most accidents happen because the biker was hotrodding or another car didn't see the motorcyclist. therefore I wanted to be easily spotted.

then again i have a monster dark. so it really doesnt matter what color i wear!
DocB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

dunno, kinda hate the yellows & oranges. I did pick this up though. goes nicely with my black & red Duc

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

my feelings are strong as a lady caused me to crash two months ago by pulling in front of me and said I DID NOT SEE YOU- so I think that being seen is so important- I looked today as it rained and I didnt see any cars that were silver or white unless they had lights on- so I looked at bikes- silver and black helmets blended in- I have a YELLOW who knows Im maybe crazy but far less people pull in front of me when I wear it- it gives me slight peace of mind
blkyrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Red Ducati + yellow hi-viz = V. Rossi. Ok in my book!

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App
DvoSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Based on scientific evidence neon colors make you the most visible. Look for yourself. See the pics below including a pic of me wearing a Hi-Viz yellow airbag vest from www.safermoto.com. I have V. Rossi to thank for making Ducati Red and neon yellow acceptable. Excuse the dorky stances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	With and without Hi Viz.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	103698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi Viz Airbag vest.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	103699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi Viz Airbag vest back side.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	103700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerry with Gear.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	103701  

2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
SuperGmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you noticed all police performing traffic detail wear neon yellow vests or jackets? Make note of the distance away when your eyes 1st catch the neon yellow. Your eyes catch the neon yellow probably several 100's of yards away.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Day glo (slightly) decreases riding risk, (significantly) increases fashion risk.

Whatever you do, don't assume that just cuz you're lit up like Ronald McDonald that drivers will see you. People in cars not seeing motorcyclists is less a function of how bright your clothing is and more a function of scale and how the human mind predicts what it is looking for, in this case, large objects, other cars, not bikes.
Maple Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's not a silver bullet solution of course. It's one item in your arsenal to stay safe. One other thing I heard to do when someone appears to look down the road in your direction prior to entering in front of you is to move your bike from right to left or left to right in your lane. This motion apparently catches their eyes and able to do a better job of judging your distance from them. I have witnessed drivers body language(head, hands and shoulders) and it appears to cause them to stop their advances and they seem to relax in their seats and wait for me to pass. Maybe it's all in my head.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Default Dainese with bright flourecent accents

Dainese 2012 line-up features alot of flourecent yellow.

DAINESE TRQ-Race Out Boot

DAINESE 4-Stroke Gloves

DAINESE Valentino Replica 2011 Gloves

DAINESE VR46 Crosser Gloves

DAINESE VR46 Sport Gloves

DAINESE VR46 Jacket

DAINESE Laguna Seca Pro Perforated Suit

DAINESE Air-Frame Tex Jacket

Last edited by moto; 06-14-2012 at 07:38 PM.
moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement