How much protection do you use? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
View Poll Results: How much upper-body gear do you wear?
Just a leather/textile jacket and whatever pads come in it 123 54.91%
A jacket and a spine protector 65 29.02%
A jacket and a vest with chest/spine protectors 6 2.68%
A full armored shirt (elbow, shoulder, chest, spine) 30 13.39%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much protection do you use?

As much as the title invites jokes, I'm actually interested in what "full gear" constitutes to everyone. Primarily I'm concerned with upper body armor because I'm assuming everyone wears pants, boots, and a helmet.

Last edited by CoolBDPhenom03; 11-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Dainese jacket has armour and a soft back protector. Plus like you said Helmet, Gloves, Boots and Jeans at a minimum. Full leathers with a back protector if hitting the twisty bits or track day.
ducman491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm much more of a daily transportation type of rider than anything else, so I checked the box for what I wear most often -- good old-fashioned heavy leather jacket, with helmet gloves and boots, and whatever pants I happen to be wearing that day. If I go out for a fast fun ride, I'll also wear leather pants. I've got a set of full leathers for trackdays, but they're way too much of a PITA to put on for the daily commute.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

For city riding leather jacket and back protector (from the snowboard) under it or Dakine Heli Pro Backpack(it's with countoured,foam-padded back panel).The jacket has removable shoulder and elbow protectors.Feel comfy and safe.
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm always wearing the ducati tech jeans, witch include small pads on knees and is ''supposed'' to be more efficient if you happen to slide on tarmac. Alpinestar shoes, gloves and helmet... I'm a pretty follower of the :''don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash'' motto.
AlexNapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
uuu

Always wear a jacket, back protector, gloves, helmet, riding boots, riding jeans with knee/ shin protectors or riding pants with armor built in.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

All the above. I do like my Draggin jeans with the kevlar panels - don't give that "just off a bike" look. I also like to wear a slippery fabric (silk or microfibre) under the jacket to reduce friction even more.

I also like to keep that mental radar going - have you ever suddenly focussed on a particular car for no apparent reason and think to yourself, "That guy's going to do something stupid" and, within three seconds, he does exactly that?
Boydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I always wear helmet, Dainese jacket with knee, elbow and back protector, boots and riding jeans with knee guards and Held phantom gloves. If I am going on a longer ride I also wear Dainese chest armor (very nice) and knox shorts with hips and tail bone pads.
BIG believer in the gear as you can see.
Pizzadude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

I always wear:
Gauntlet leather gloves with carbon knuckles and padding,
Either Leather jacket with shoulder, elbow and soft back pad or textile jacket with same armour (my textile is warmer)
Helmet
Old leather work boots with steel toe.

Sometimes wear:
Textile overpants with knee and hip padding.

Want to get:
some draggin' kevlar lined jeans or at least the new kevlar lining you can wear under any pants.
Some under pant knee pads.
Proper riding boots, maybe some Sidi Vertigos
Hard back protector insert for my jacket.
g33x0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 View Post
I'm assuming everyone wears pants, boots, and a helmet.
Wrong. I see more riders wearing jeans and running shoes that anything else. Hell, I even see a lot of riders not wearing gloves of any kind.

2011 Red Monster 796 w/ABS
pmarangoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement