Icon jeans....wouldn't buy them or anything by Icon again - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Icon jeans....wouldn't buy them or anything by Icon again

Just a bit of background. I purchased some Icon standard riding jeans last June and wore them 5-6 times before they developed a large tear on one side of the crotch. I was disappointed at the poor durability and thought...well perhaps it was something I did like snag it on something that started a small tear and didn't notice it until it was too late.

I patched the hole up as best I could and set out on a 4 day trip. By day 2 the other side did the same thing tearing a 4" hole in the other side. I wrote to Icon explaining what had happened, hoping they would offer a replacement or a discount, something since they obviously had a design flaw. Their response was basically since I had patched them myself they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I found this very odd and even sent them pictures of the tear showing that the patch on the one side had no affect on the other side tearing. Anyway long story short, I won't be buying their jeans or anything else made by Icon in the future. It wasn't a great deal of money but I feel that companies feel they can essentially treat customers like crap with no repercussions. Has anyone else had a bad or good experience with Icon?

A regular pair of jeans would have lasted much longer but I was hoping to have something that looked decent with a bit more protection. Even a pair of Dockers khakis would last better than these things did!

Here is their response to my request.

"I did get your photos the other week and do apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I forwarded your emails to the head of the warranty department and to the Design and Development staff in order to get second and third opinions concerning your jeans. Mike, the head of the warranty department, and Jason, the head of the D&D staff agreed separately but unanimously: because the jeans were mended, neither the D&D dept nor the warranty department would be able to authorize a warranty return."
skoobeesnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
MDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobeesnak View Post
Just a bit of background. I purchased some Icon standard riding jeans last June and wore them 5-6 times before they developed a large tear on one side of the crotch. I was disappointed at the poor durability and thought...well perhaps it was something I did like snag it on something that started a small tear and didn't notice it until it was too late.

I patched the hole up as best I could and set out on a 4 day trip. By day 2 the other side did the same thing tearing a 4" hole in the other side. I wrote to Icon explaining what had happened, hoping they would offer a replacement or a discount, something since they obviously had a design flaw. Their response was basically since I had patched them myself they wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I found this very odd and even sent them pictures of the tear showing that the patch on the one side had no affect on the other side tearing. Anyway long story short, I won't be buying their jeans or anything else made by Icon in the future. It wasn't a great deal of money but I feel that companies feel they can essentially treat customers like crap with no repercussions. Has anyone else had a bad or good experience with Icon?

A regular pair of jeans would have lasted much longer but I was hoping to have something that looked decent with a bit more protection. Even a pair of Dockers khakis would last better than these things did!

Here is their response to my request.

"I did get your photos the other week and do apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I forwarded your emails to the head of the warranty department and to the Design and Development staff in order to get second and third opinions concerning your jeans. Mike, the head of the warranty department, and Jason, the head of the D&D staff agreed separately but unanimously: because the jeans were mended, neither the D&D dept nor the warranty department would be able to authorize a warranty return."
I appreciate your frustration. Sounds like their customer service rivals that of the airlines. (In case you haven't traveled by air recently, trust me on this, everyone in customer service for a major airline should be required to attend charm school) I have two pair of Icon jeans and so far, they're holding up. But your case is pretty straightforward and they should do their best to take care of you. Sometimes these customer service types just don't understand the life time value of a customer. The basic premise is this - you would buy more of their stuff and recommend it to others if they just treated you like a customer and not a beggar. There is a dollar value to that but these guys just don't get it.

OK. I' getting off the soap box now. You might consider Dainese. Their stuff seems to hold up well.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I posted this on a few other boards that I frequent and for the most part people agree with me. In fact on one forum the thread went for 4 pages! Out of the goodness of my heart I sent and email back to Icon showing them the links to the threads. I hope that was worth the $55 it would have taken to give me a replacement pair. Lesson learned...
skoobeesnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Both me and my husband have purchased Icon jackets and gloves. I personally have never had any issues with my icon gear. I read hundreds of reviews on durability and crash info from people before I buy any gear. From my reading Icon tends to be better than say Joe Rocket (guy had to have skin grafts after getting into a mild accident because of how bad the road rash was), but it all depends on how you want to go. I stick mainly with Icon for the reviews and the fact I'm a 5'2' short stuff and most people don't carry women's gear that fits right.
MonkeyLing1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want some good jeans for motorbiking try Diamond Gusset. They are made in Nashville, TN, and are the only jeans that I buy any more. They make a motorcycle specific jean called the Defender which has kevlar in the hip and knee area. Here is the URL for their web site: http://www.gussetclothing.com/
I use their Defender jeans in the summer and can attest to their high quality.
wmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a pair of Icon gloves, the Velcro strap fell off after about 6 months of use. The bottom line is; you get what you pay for. In general Icon is inexpensive and sometimes that shows in the products. I tend to stay with Sidi, Vanson and Dainese for all my motorcycle riding protection.
Montducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

ICON has always impressed me as more show than go.
bruce19@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

I read hundreds of reviews on durability and crash info from people before I buy any gear.

-
Johnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Agreed on Icon's hit-or-miss quality. A bud's Icon jeans seriously fell apart after a summer of riding. I have shorty gloves where the leather faded and the seams started opening after about two years of hard use. In contrast, I have a Fieldsheer two-piece suit that's still holding up strong after 50k miles. My Sidi Vertebra boots are getting a bit ragged but I walked in them for the whole Harley 100th and 105th plus countless other events that I've ridden my bike to so it's my own fault. I tend to stick with Fieldsheer, Sidi, Alpinestars (gloves only), AGV and Suomy.
marcusm750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default buggered jeans

Try Draggin jeans - well made and tough, made in Oz ... http://www.dragginjeans.net/
sparki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement