Keys for new Ducati's (and older ones too) - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Keys for new Ducati's (and older ones too)

Alright guys...lemme tell you a story. So earlier this week I was getting ready to take my 2011 Monster 796 out of storage since Chicago (where I live) has had record temperatures. When I got to the storage garage I realized the most HORRIFIC thing happened to me....I LOST A KEY!!!

Well as we all know these keys are very special and EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get, right? The answer to that is both yes and no. I called my not-so-local dealership and they said "Yeah we got the keys for you but we can't cut them only program them" Hmmmm, ok. So I started googling and calling every locksmith in Chicago. EVERY .... SINGLE ....ONE! No one can cut the key not even Audi/BMW/Mercedes/VW Dealerships that use a similar key. Ducati...doesn't even cut these keys. So hypothetically if I lost the second key I'll have 400 pounds of useless bike, right? NO

After about 16 hours of searching I found 2 people that can duplicate the key and more. One is in Hawaii and the other is in Indianapolis, Indiana.

I spoke with James from Able Lock and Key

Able Lock and Key
(317) 356 4357
4717 E. 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46201

This is what he provides. You send him your good key plus the mechanical code and when he receives it he will cut you an exact copy of your key using a $20, 000 BAD A$$ CNC machine. Then using your good key he will CLONE the info on the chip to the new key. He'll then send it back and the new key will work RIGHT OUT THE BOX!!! The key that you get looks like a Moto Guzzi key but who cares...the key works. Now if you buy the blank from the dealership he can cut that also but can not program it since it uses a slightly different transponder but you can do a search for instructions on programming it yourself or have the dealership do it.

As a note: You will need the codes to get the keys to work!

Ok so being a little skeptical and wanting to go on a road trip badly, me and a friend road down to Indianapolis to meet James. With codes in hand along with a blank OEM Duc key we were off.

Needless to say I was impressed. VERY IMPRESSED! He not only cut the OEM key but I bought and had cut and programmed a clone which worked right out the box.

OK...back to hypothetical. Let's say I did lose both keys AND to make matters worse I lost the codes. The dealership will tell you all day that they have to change out the electronics and give you new keys at a cost of over $3000...at least for the 2011 Ducati Monster 796 ABS. James can take your dashboard (of course you'd have to remove it and ship it or drive it to him) and he can see your codes and give you new keys. Keys that you can use to have OEM Keys cut and programmed so when you sell your bike know one will ever know you lost the originals.

Hope this helps a lot of people! I now have my Duc keys in the safe and just use the clone.

James charges $75 to cut the key. An OEM that you can buy at the dealership costs $69+ tax. A clone key costs $30 to cut/program + $75 to cut =$105. If all hell broke loose and you have to send in the dash it would cost roughly $300 but you all can discuss that with him. Sure beats paying $3000!!!!!

If anyone wants a pic of the clone I'll post it...just ask. If anyone has had success with another locksmith post it here. Hopefully the Admins will make this a sticky.

***********UPDATE*************
From the 2011 Ducati Monster 796 ABS Service Manual

Programming Immobilizer
This instrument panel function enables programming of the Immobilizer System.

Note
Only 2 keys may be programmed.

Insert KEY 1 (one of the two black keys) and turn the ignition switch from Off to On;
within 3 seconds turn the ignition switch from On to Off;
within 15 seconds insert KEY 2 (the other black key) and turn the ignition switch from Off to On;
within 3 seconds turn the ignition switch from On to Off;
within 15 seconds, insert KEY X again (either Key 1 or Key 2) and turn the ignition switch from Off to ON.

If the procedure was successful, the instrument panel will display the message “PROG. OK” steadily for 3 seconds before returning to the normal display mode.

Programming aborted:
if you allow the 3 second countdown after Key-On or the 15 second countdown after Key-Off to elapse, or you make a mistake in the programming procedure, the instrument panel will abort the programming operation and display the message “PROG OFF” for 3 seconds before returning to normal display mode.

Important

During the programming procedure, the instrument panel, in addition to saving the key codes in its memory, retrieves two “electronic” codes from the insertion of KEY 1 (the first black key to be inserted) and KEY 2 (the second black key to be inserted).

If the immobilizer is reprogrammed, the key codes will be erased and replaced with the new codes of the new keys; the two “electronic” codes, however, remain permanently in memory and cannot be deleted or overwritten.
The code on the Code Card corresponds to one of the two electronic codes and is used for the Immobilizer Recovery and Immobilizer Reprogramming procedures.

Immobilizer override procedure
Should the immobilizer become locked, you can perform the “Immobilizer Override” procedure from the instrument panel by entering the respective function as described below.
Select the “CODE” page from the menu.

Note
This menu should be active only if there is at least one immobilizer error.

With this page selected, the initial code is always displayed as “00000”. If you hold pressed switch (1) in position B “t“ for 3 seconds, you will access the procedure for entering the electronic code given on the Code Card.

Entering the code:
on entering this function, the first digit on the left starts flashing.

Switch (1):
each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the second digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the third digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the fourth digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the fifth digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
press in position A “s” to confirm the code.

If the code entered is incorrect, the instrument panel will automatically return to the “CODE” menu and display the code “00000”.
If the code has been entered correctly, the message CODE and the code itself will flash simultaneously for 4 seconds. The EOBD diagnostics warning light (8) will go off. The instrument panel then automatically exits the menu, thus temporarily allowing the motorcycle to be started.

If the error is still present, at the next Key-On the instrument panel error and the inhibited status will persist.

Last edited by zero110; 03-19-2012 at 04:22 PM.
zero110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

the dealer I went to said they can order me a new key as long as I have the numbers off the electronic and mechanical code card. It takes about a week to get the new key if I wanted to get extras, or a replacement.
65218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is another locksmith that I spoke to. They have a different approach in they key the key with a laser instead of cnc.

http://www.soslock.com/

The are located in Oregon for those near the west coast.

I'm hoping these contacts help someone out of a jam.
zero110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

In Toronto, Kent $ Mart, 3422 Weston Road at Finch, 416 743 8798, kentsmart@gmail.com.
peckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero110 View Post
Here is another locksmith that I spoke to. They have a different approach in they key the key with a laser instead of cnc.

http://www.soslock.com/

The are located in Oregon for those near the west coast.

I'm hoping these contacts help someone out of a jam.
Thanks for the plug.

We actually program Ducati's through our other name, SOS Diagnostics

Last edited by Keys for Ducati's; 12-16-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Keys for Ducati's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Help!

OK. So I have the nightmare where I bought a barely used 848 Evo from a dealer who did not get the extra key OR the code card and the previous owner has "disappeared". I am in Southern California, not close enough to Oregon or Indianapolis to ride my bike there and I am terrified to send this key anywhere. Anyone know a hook-up in SoCal. OC Ducati says I am basically SOL and I have tried all other contacts to at least get the code card #'s. I even called and e-mailed Ducati USA and Italy and no response. Any help anyone has would be great. I think about this key twenty times a day at least even when my bike is in the garage!
CHIX EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Does anyone know someone in Europe who can do this service with the keys?
I need a new black and red key and I do not have the key code.
Dangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Please let me know if anyone knows what we can do here. I still have not figured it out in SoCal.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIX EVO View Post
Please let me know if anyone knows what we can do here. I still have not figured it out in SoCal.
I used SOS and their service was great. To get past your paranoia, send the key via an over-night service with tracking and insurance and pay for them to do the same on the return.

The anxiety that you will suffer while the key is being cloned will be short lived and the reassurance you will feel once you have the duplicate in-hand will last as long as you own the bike.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you! I contacted them so I am sending the key today. I will be drinking more wine than normal while this key is gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement