How To: Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirror Install (M1100S) - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How To: Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirror Install (M1100S)

I know this is easy stuff compared to most of the 'How To's on here, but I'm not mechanically inclined and looked for a good guide and couldn't find one. Hopefully this will help somebody else, as impractical as me!

The parts supplied by Rizoma.

Not all the parts are needed, but you will need bar ends (in this case Rizoma 23mm).

Start by removing the old mirror, just undo the marked bolt. Note that the right mirror (on the throttle side) is reverse threaded so is removed by turning clockwise.

There are several ways to tidy up the gaping hole you leave behind. I elected to just turn the clamp upside down, as I couldn't find plastic hole caps that would fit (1/4" I believe).

And then remove the stock bar end. I used a combination of increasingly wide screwdriver blades and a pair of pliers to gently prise it out.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fit together the new bar end. Note: the conical metal part on the left of the pictures is the threaded one and is on the opposite way around to the way it came in the pack.

Hand tighten the conical bolt, until it is snug against the funny metal spacer thingy (the technical term!). Insert the whole thing into the end of the bar and tighten with an allen key. Try to leave a small (1mm) gap between the bar end and the end of the grip, on the throttle side bar. This lets the throttle turn freely.

Then attach the Rizoma mirror stalk. You can hang them under the bar but this didn't look "right" to me so I did them this way. I used the white spacer that came with the mirror. It went on the clutch side easily but was a tight fit on the throttle side. I think it would have fitted without the spacer but had to be really tightened and I was worried that the circle of the clamp was quite deformed by the time I got it to grip, so I used the spacer.

Finally screw on the mirror, with the supplied screw (it is hidden behind the first layer of foam in the box, if you can't find it!).

Enjoy!!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

The final result:

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2010 Monster 1100s, also... and a HUGE thanks, for this simple to understand and follow Rizoma Reverse Retro mirror installation! I was sweating it when I tried to piece together the mimimalistic, broken English directions... and your thread helped me install them in about 30 min!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

~Chris
Allsees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsees View Post
I have a 2010 Monster 1100s, also... and a HUGE thanks, for this simple to understand and follow Rizoma Reverse Retro mirror installation! I was sweating it when I tried to piece together the mimimalistic, broken English directions... and your thread helped me install them in about 30 min!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

~Chris
You're welcome
Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Brackstone

From a person who wants to be more mechanically inclined, but sometimes is afraid to be, thank you.
Brackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackstone View Post
From a person who wants to be more mechanically inclined, but sometimes is afraid to be
That's me. I did lots of research before I started. There was plenty of helpful information on these forums but nothing that assumed my level of inexperience. I figured it didn't sound too hard and had a go. Documenting it meant I could make a guide for others but also helped me take it slowly and think each step through.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Brackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
That's me. I did lots of research before I started. There was plenty of helpful information on these forums but nothing that assumed my level of inexperience. I figured it didn't sound too hard and had a go. Documenting it meant I could make a guide for others but also helped me take it slowly and think each step through.
Documentation yes but not a lot with step by step photos. TBH that's what makes the difference for me. I build my own computers from scratch and if I wrote a document step by step without photos and using technical terms I think most people would still be afraid.

I was just asking someone else how easy it was to change levers (I'll be getting some CRGs probably) and everyone said it was pretty easy. But when I got the steps some of the terminology I was not familiar with and information on the internet was ambiguous at best. Luckily Roman provided (Forum Member) me a picture of exactly of the item I was asking about.

TBH I still have my doubts because if I mess it up I'll have to get my bike towed, but I feel like I just need to do it and have faith in myself.
Brackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I actually have a Triumph Speed Triple but this guide was still very useful to me, so thanks

I actually purchased the Rizoma bar end weights to go with my mirrors. Took me a while to figure out how to actually get them installed in the bars. I have them installed now with the rubber expanders that came with the weights.

The mirror documentation says to install with the metal expander that comes with the mirrors. Do you think I should take out the rubber ones and replace with the metals ones? Or would that not really make a difference?

I'd have thought the rubber ones might damp down the vibration a bit if anything
MADMAN69UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

You don't worry about those things vibrating off? The Chinese knock offs i got from Ebay had a special bar end that looks like a mushroom to lock it in.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement