Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

New S4 owner, ECU Questions.........

7K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  RKS4RS 
#1 ·
Just got a 1-owner 2002 Monster S4 916-

I picked up a used set of Carbon High-pipe Termi's off eBay from a crashed Foggy Rep, with the ECU and airbox lid and different filter.

got pipes cleaned up and mounted, but it will not run with the Ducati Performance ECU from the Foggy, it just spits and pops occasionally as you crank it, but it runs fine with my stock ECU

Someone on another forum suggested that on the 2002 S4 the ECU and Dash are a mated Pair, and I cant just swap out the ECU from the Foggy-

QUESTION IS:

What do I have to do to make this run with the Foggy ECU???
Is it a Key programming issue?
Can the dealer (or myself from home) get the Foggy ECU to "Pair" with my stock dash?
I'd rather not spend the $300 on a Power Commander if I can avoid it, I'm way over Budget in the bike now as it is and haven't gotten to ride it yet and there so much more to do..........

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations on the S4.
I have a feeling this is beyond a DIY remedy. Have you asked or clicked on anything from SOSDiagnostics? They seem to be the authority on that topic.

Now I have a question for you as we compare notes with my 2002 Foggy Edition: From what I've seen and read on the 'net regarding the dash and immobilizer, my dash doesn't behave the same way as what appears to be the norm. Regardless of key, prior to the fuel pump issue (parts ordered and on the way) when the bike started and ran properly, it was a process of key in, turn to ON, fuel pump whirrls, dash lights go on then off, except for green neutral, immobilizer light doesn't flash, it simply goes out, hit the starter button, done, bike starts.

What doesn't happen is when the bike just sat in the garage, it never blinked with the amber immobilzer light. Yes I understand that it does indeed go out after 24 hours, but it never did that. The other thing it doesn't do is the speedo and tach sweep w key in. Dials do an oh so slight jump but that's it. Plus I 'should' get 3 blinks of immobilizer recognizing the 3 keys I have, but I don't.

Lastly, when attempting to do the red key, black key, black key sequence to reset things, I think what should be happening is inserting red key, I should get the amber light to go on then do the key sequence thing. My red key doesn't fire up the amber light. I'll note however with the black keys inserted, I get the key number (2 and 3) and countdown but finishing off with the red key, digital odometer shows "OFF" rather than ON.

In summary, how is your dash behaving w key inserts? My sincere apology for hijacking your question!

#3 · (Edited)
No problem,

Mine USED TO do the sweep on both gauges, but the speedo never worked, it always would return to a random stop point OTHER THAN zero??? when you rode around the block the speedo never moved no matter how fast you rode) NOW the speedo no longer cycles with the key stroke, just the tach (I've since ordered a new sensor in the rear caliper mount)

My little amber LED in the bottom center of the dash NEVER has come on, or blinked ever, not even once -

I didnt get the red key from the guy I bought it from, he is currently looking for it? but I do have the credit card thing that came with the bike with the codes on it???

- When I turn the key on (with either ECU connected) the idiot lights all come on, the fuel pump whirs, then everything goes out and I can crank it with the start button-

The main difference is: the yellow "engine" light in the top center bottom of the triangle cluster of lights stays on if I have the Ducati Performance ECU installed, and as it cranks, the bike just spits and pops and farts but never catches?????

with the stock ECU< after the key turn, fuel pump cycles, ALL lights go out(like yours) except neutral light, and when you hit button it fires right up to life????

#4 ·
Not unless I misunderstood Tom at Ducati Depot, he was nice enough to have a phone conversation with me and he explained the '02 bikes were the first with the immobilizer and it wasn't so much as hit or miss with how your bike behaved but Tom did say some bikes were 'a little buggie.' He also said the immobilizer system consists of key pairing to dash and not the ECU. I know this doesn't help you much, just thought I'd share.

#5 ·
Hi.
A little follow up and a question:
Question is, take a look at your ECU, what's it got for numbers on the sticker? My DP ECU which I understand came on the '02 Foggy edition, is the incorrect ECU for '02 S4. According to a fella who is knowlegable on the Foggy bikes, all of the Foggy's were shipped with DP ecu model # 96506200B. it should be 96508802B. A standard MS4 like what you have, does the ecu say S16DA037?
So, whatcha got there?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Whenever a new/different ECU is installed in a Duc with a linear TPS, the TPS needs to be reset via software.

When you download the software suggested by jduke, make sure you download the IAW versions that match your ECU type. I.e. 5AM or 59M

The Lonelec cables are the go and I have two sets that work no dramas.
Read the simple instructions that come with them to make sure the correct (FTDI) drivers are installed before connecting the cable/adapter to your computer. jduke advised you in caps for a good reason so be warned!

#12 · (Edited)
I've put 350 miles on her, with the stock ECU- so far so good - No pops, no farts, no hick-ups- runs great in all situations- but I got the bike with a broken speedo, and I first tried to replace the rear wheel sensor, but no dice?
So I packed up the gauges and shipped them off to the UK for repair....... of course she doesn't run without the dash, so it's been silent for a bit over a week, I put 1" bar risers under the bars- and I'm working out fitting and making mounts for the Triumph Sprint Half fairing while she's down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.