Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Can I just Reflash or do i need a fuel controller?

7K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  bshinn 
#1 ·
Looking at doing a full exhaust upgrade on my s2r1000, not sure if i can get by with just reflashing, or will I have to fork over money for a Piggyback controller as well?

#3 ·
No need for the rexxer expense. GuzziDiag (donation software) and the Read and Write programs will let you backup your map and reflash a new one.
http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

You'll need a cable, don't go with the cheap Chinese crap, buy this one http://lonelec.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=57_20

Be sure and download and install the LonElec drivers before you connect anything.

I believe the DP map you need to get is 96517406B.

I worked with Punch and have my ECU dialed in.

#4 ·
Thanks! I've been researching about the jpdiag stuff, will I be able to back up my OEM map just in case?

Are those just DP ECU maps configured to accompany a variety of exhaust/intake setups? or is it possible to make a custom map? was gonna use a wideband A/F to get everything just right if I could

#5 ·
Yes, download:
IAWDiag V0.47 - diagnostic software
IAW5x Reader - backs up your map - MAKE MULTIPLE WRITE PROTECTED COPIES AND KEEP FOR EMERGENCY
IAW5x Writer - writes (flash) the new map to your ECU

Donation software - make a donation so this software is maintained and updated for future users.

You really need to contact Punch and get him to help you.

#8 ·
I've heard a lot of good things about Rexxer. Don't think you can go wrong sending the ECU to them and letting them flash it, but $450 is kind of high. I believe MotoWheels and Houston Superbike both will flash a DP map on your ECU for $300.
And keep in mind, other than the $25 cable from LonElec, GuzziDiag is donation software. The only problem is finding a map to flash to your ECU.

#13 ·
BINGO! Exactly correct. As an example, I used a Gunson O2 tester, since both pipe come together before they split again one going to each muffler I knew the readings should be close no matter which muffler I tested. But just to make sure I tested both and they were almost identical. Within the range I was looking for.
But I still had lean AND rich symptoms, depending on acceleration or deceleration...just didn't make sense. I heard of Punch and posed my problem to him. He suggested data logging, Innovate LC-2 wide band sensor, ScanST to collect the data.
First data run he triple checked his end and had me make another run. The horz cylinder was something like 20% lean, while the vert cylinder was something like 20% rich.
That's why you need to data log each cylinder and let Punch do his magic on the data and get your bike where both cylinders are tuned.

#16 · (Edited)
Further down is a modified extract from an email I sent to xxMaverickXX.
But first some comments.
Flashing a map, say a DP one, assuming you have modded airbox and exhausts, is better than nothing. All you need is the cable, adapter and IAWwriter (donation software) jduke mentioned.
As jduke wrote, it is important to read and save your existing bin file from the ECU so you can write that back to the ECU if you need to. This requires IAWreader.

Cost is around 20 Pounds Sterling plus shipping for the Lonelec cable/adapter plus freight plus whatever you choose to donate for the software tools.

Benefit - you can write a new bin file to the ECU as many times as you want with no further cost.

If you want to customise the map to suit your configuration you need to buy a wideband oxygen sensor, such as Innovate Motorsports LC or LM models. Also an adapter, the CHIPI-X for about $20 to connect the WBO2 electronics to your notebook so you can log AFR at the same time as TP and RPM. This then gives you data to help make decisions of fuel map changes required.

I cannot attach my guide on what you need and how to set it up as it is around 300kb and exceeds the forum attachment limit.
If you want a copy, send an email to me (Richard Collins) yellowducati at me dot com Remove the spaces and replace at with @ and dot with .

Don't be daunted by it though, it is quite simple to set up and the guide is long because it is detailed and has links to web resources. After the initial setup, it is simple to use for each log.
The most common "complaint" is not being able to connect to the ECU. This is virtually always down to the cable/adapter bought. The Lonelec kit works and it is generally not worth the angst of saving a few dollars then frigging around trying to get the cheaper one to work.

I have attached a screen shot of my cylinder 1 (horizontal) AFR analysis of the DP map jduke had in his M900 with open cans and pod filters = scary lean. The engine temperature was also very high, due to lean, and is now much lower.

Modified text from the email.

How far are you going to go with the remapping?

Just writing a BIN developed by someone else or data logging the engine and AFR to then make corrections?
The latter is better as it is specific to your bike. The DP map jduke had in his bike as a starter was way off and to a degree quite scary.

The first thing you need to establish is whether or not there is an XDF for your model for use in TunerPro to be able to edit the maps in the ECU BIN file.
This is often the barrier.
Once you have read the BIN from the ECU with IAWReader, you can send it to me and I will see if I have an XDF that works.
You could also search in Monster forums to see if one has been created for your model.
Unfortunately there is no “centralised” database of XDFs as all the forums differ.

Alternatively you might be able to use TuneECU and there a number of HEX files for the S2R but none of the file names state which year they apply to.
TuneECU is not all that easy to modify the fuel maps as it has to be done “manually” for each cell you want to modify.
However it may be a way if there is no XDF for TunerPro and your model.

I have attached my guide which is a detailed step by step on what to buy and do.
If you are not logging, then you can ignore all the stuff about ScanST.

Do you know what ECU is in your Monster? You can look at the label on it and write down everything on the label or just take a pic and send it.

Attachments

#18 ·
Yeah, that's cylinder 1, cylinder 2 was the opposite, too rich.
That's what threw me for a loop. The map was a Ducati DP map for my bike, so why was I getting test results with a Gunson CO tester at the muffler that everything was within spec but was getting both lean and rich conditions when I rode the bike. Just didn't make sense.
But it goes to show that just because you have a "map" doesn't mean anything. What counts is the test results on both cylinders while riding your bike, in your area, under your conditions.
My bike runs so much better now it's amazing.

Reactions: Punch
#20 ·
For best results you want 2 of these: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php (3 foot version is fine)
But at $189 each, one was all I could afford. You'll need O2 size bungs on your exhaust pipes to screw the wideband O2 sensors that come with the LC-2 into. All my 01 M900Sie had was the small Ducati bungs so I bought a couple of stainless steel bungs from Innovate and had a buddy cut a hole where the Ducati bungs are and weld in the stainless ones.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16149&cat=250&page=3
I would test one cylinder using ScanST, making about a 30 miles loop through town, a four lane, and an interstate so I could get as much data as possible. Punch needs data from all gears at as many different throttle positions as possible.
After coming back home from the first data logging, I would move the LC-2 to the other cylinder and take off on the same route again.
I would send both data logs to Punch and he would do his magic and send me a new map.
I would use GuzziDiag Writer to write his new map and do more data logging on both cylinders.

#26 ·
Thanks,

I'm in the States, North Carolina specifically. While I'm not computer illiterate, I'm by no means a software engineer either. I'll download the guide and software and get the cable over the next few weeks. I have to finish another project before I dive back into this one, so no rush. Need to spend some time educating myself meanwhile.

Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.