1997 Monster 900 - Rev Counter - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

1997 Monster 900 - Rev Counter

I have a 1997 Monster 900 and the Rev Counter suddenly quit working. Any ideas where I should start looking? Checked the Fuses but there isn't one for the IP. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Garage
pics? i didn't know you could have a tach on a '97. my old '96 had a Roadracing tach kit that ran off one of the coils and the connector at the back of the tach broke on me. i would suggest tracing the signal wire from the tach. i wouldn't be surprised if it runs off one of the coils, and has a broken connector or short somewhere.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I had a Road Racing kit installed in Europe by the Ducati dealer, so that I could have a Tachometer. In '97 the Monster only came with a Speedometer. It has worked fin all these years. I have checked power in all the leads and applied Dielectric Grease to make sure of the electric connections. Power is OK all the way to the connection at the back of the Tachometer. There was a note in a thread somewhere to the effect that if the Battery Charge was low, that may cause a intermittent malfunction. So I have put the Battery on a trickle charge overnight. Will check later today and post back if that works. I am not too hopeful....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Monster Tachometer Not Working

I have tried charging the battery and then checking to see if the Tachometer worked. No luck so far. I am attaching some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Monster_Road Racing IP #1.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	204330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Monster_Road Racing IP #2.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	204338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Monster_Road Racing Tacho Back#3.JPG
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	204346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Monster_Road Racing Tacho Connectors#4.JPG
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	204354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati Monster_Road Racing Tacho Connector Plug#5.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	204362  

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can find a White Faced, 12,000 rpm Tachometer? I have tracked it down to a faulty tachometer at this point, but no one here wants to repair it! Any suggestions please?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:04 PM

Garage
the good news is, last i heard one of our site vendors had a couple left for sale. the bad news, their rarity has caused the price to be kinda high. $600 gets you a kit with two fascias

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...achometer.html

if that link doesnt work, go to the forum home page, DML Sponsor Classifieds, Monsterparts. you will see Roadracing Tacho kits listed from 03/2016.

hes a great seller, you might luck out and hes still got one left. id buy it in a hearbeat if i still had an early monster
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

I have tried to get in touch with him as you suggested, but no luck so far. He seems to have vanished. If you know of anyone else who may have a Tachometer like in the pictures in Post #4 & #6 let me know. Or else I am going to have to go back to the original Cluster without the Tachometer.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Garage
check your PM's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I have. Still looking for a working Tachometer for the Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode