Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

chain adjustment prob

5K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  richgran 
#1 ·
monster gurus, this is the chain adjusting system on my 2005 monster 1000.
my problem is. once i have the chain adjusted to correct tension i tighten the wheel shaft nut to 75nm (or 53ft lb for my american friends) according to the owners manual. but then when i tighten the adjusting screws to the suggested 8nm (5ft lb) my chain gets over tightened.
i have tried it many times and even slowly. my torque wrench is brand new and have no reason to suspect it to be the problem.
all and any suggestion would be appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That's normal. Compressing the swing arm when you tighten the axle nut changes the chain slack. You can jam the handle of a screwdriver between the chain and sprocket when you tighten your axle screw to prevent the axle from moving (check youtube), or you can compensate for the extra tightness by making it looser.

If it's overly tight in some areas but loose in other areas when you turn the wheel, then that means your chain may need replacement because it has stretched too much in the loose area.

#3 ·
That's normal. Compressing the swing arm when you tighten the axle nut changes the chain slack.
thanks ugly... but tightening the axle nut is not where the problem is. all is good up to then. its when i tighten the adjusting screws themselves to the specified 8nm i can see the chain tightening, its as if the axle nut is not holding the axle firm even though i have it torqued at the specified 72nm....

#4 · (Edited)
That's odd. The axle nut should hold it all in place after you've adjusted the chain. After everything is tightened and set, does the axle move around any?

Just to be sure, you loosen the axle nut, adjust the chain, then tighten the axle nut, right? That adjustment screw doesn't look like it has an additional lock nut that's supposed to prevent it from turning. It looks like it's just supposed to adjust the chain.

See how this one has an adjuster and a lock nut?

#10 ·
Install locknuts, then adjust chain tension and lock the adjusters snug with the locknuts. Compensate for final adjustment so it ends up where you want it when locked down. With no locknuts you are apparently tightening the adjuster against the axle. Don't do that.

#11 ·
With no locknuts you are apparently tightening the adjuster against the axle. Don't do that.
Ducati designed it that way, and it works fine. There is some other issue at play here.

There is no easy way to install lock nuts, The adjuster bolts have the threads flattened on the last few mm's of the bolt. To do it you have to run a die down the bolt to clean up the threads. If you install a locknut you loose the thickness of the nut in chain adjustment.

#16 ·
i totally agree.

the adjuster bolts would stop the axle from moving forward once under acceleration, but that's small comfort knowing that my axle can still move around even while torqued to 72nm.

it is a concern.

i haven't had time to remove the wheel and clean the wheel/axle as yet. i haven't been riding for a few weeks now we are in our winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.