My airbox/pod filter solution - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

My airbox/pod filter solution

I couldn't justify spending $350 for TPO's "kit"......especially when I could never get anyone to answer the phone or call me back, and the pic of the bracket on their website didn't look like anything that would work on a 796, so I just cut the top of the airbox off. Actually more than the top.....all that's left are the base, velocity stacks, and the back part where the ECU & battery box attach. K&N makes a perfect 4x4 filter (RB-0800) that slips right over the stock velocity stacks (only needed a slight trim). All the ancillary parts that attached to the airbox still have their mount points. I have no idea why I never saw where anyone had already done this, and I looked all over the internet for an idea of what other ppl were doing. So now I have unimpeded airflow at the intake, and a very long exhaust. I'll be surprised if this thing doesn't dyno at well over 90hp with a proper tune.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM

nice work!
Tigerdragon2020 likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:48 PM

I've been digging myself down an internet rabbit hole trying to figure out a pod filter setup for my 2012. I would love to use TPO's setup but like OP said the bracket situation needs to be addressed. I found a thread on ducati.ms where some guys did a group order for some brackets that seemed like they allowed people to use the Beast pods.

I just emailed WASP/Intake express to see if their PUK works on a 796. They have the 696 and 1100 listed on their website, but I also found a thread where Greg (one of the owners I guess) quoted a guy asking about a 796 saying it would fit. Sucks these kits are a grand but if they fit and I can't make do on my own I may spring for it.

Does anyone know for sure whether the Beast/Beast R pods will fit a 796 if I can fab a bracket? or if the WASP kit will definitely fit a 796?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Seems like Tim came up with an alternative solution and did everything but install it for you. 😁

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Garage
Right on Tim! I would love to see some dyno numbers. I've been looking at my options for my 1100 and wondered the same thing. There doesn't seem to be any "affordable" option available. Looks like I'll have to get creative.

Looking into the past shows progression forwards.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:42 PM

Garage
I have just replaced an OEM air filter with K&N. placebo or not, the bike has different sound and more willing to rev!

Next on to do list is modification of air box housing

The last will be exhaust (already have it), it will be 2in1 option. If necessary will add SC-project AFM modul....!

Cheers,

Yagi
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:31 PM

If you haven't made adjustments to your ECU you have a very lean running engine.

Jerry Duke / Savannah, GA
2001 YELLOW Monster M900Sie
2007 BMW R1200S - Candy Stripe
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post
If you haven't made adjustments to your ECU you have a very lean running engine.
Don't think just replacing OEM filter with K&N, reduce so much A/F ratio. After opening/modification box housing and deleted two catalytic converters and 2-1 exhaust it will be need it to add A/F modul by SC-Project.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:54 PM

I agree, replacing an OEM filter with a K&N isn't a big deal. But pod filters, any brand, provide a major increase in air flow over an OEM filter. If you replace an OEM filter with a pod filter, believe me, the engine is running leaner.

Jerry Duke / Savannah, GA
2001 YELLOW Monster M900Sie
2007 BMW R1200S - Candy Stripe
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post
I agree, replacing an OEM filter with a K&N isn't a big deal. But pod filters, any brand, provide a major increase in air flow over an OEM filter. If you replace an OEM filter with a pod filter, believe me, the engine is running leaner.
I believe you. It's not that I don't. I also think I won't be able to avoid to add A/F modul!
Would you recommend any other way to figure it out on how lean ration motor runs? Sparks are one way.....any other?

C.,
Yagi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode