cold starts - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

cold starts

Me again with a question regarding cold starts. Being a new Ducati rider 2012 monster 796 all stock and battery still from the day it was bought by the previous owners, I am still not familiar with duc bikes and how they behave. I am in this situation that I commute with my bike to and from work. I am in the overnight shift and I park my bike on the lot. Question is, noticed that it's been getting cold lately and I was wondering if the bike would have a hard time starting when it gets colder? Don't want to look bad having a nice bike that wouldn't start at end of my shift lol. It was my first time riding the bike to work yesterday, So far she starts fine in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

This could be a concern. Ducatis are often cold-blooded creatures.

a) How many miles (km) on the bike (and battery)? I find that 3 or 4 years is about as long as a battery lasts, but I do 12K+ miles (19K+ km) a year. Do you remove the battery for winter storage, or have it on a tender? A new battery might be something to consider soon.

b) How cold are you talking? Mine tended to be hard to start below 40F (5C) with the stock system. I upgraded the starting circuit with heavier leads, and added a dedicated ground. Those helped a lot. I also, during the cold season, keep it on the Battery Tender when it's parked at home, just to keep everything tip-top. At the ends of the season (April and Nov/Dec) it's often at or near 20F (-7C) in the morning, and that setup works just fine.

c) You're EFI, and IIRC you don't have a fast-idle lever or any such; you just have to depend on the computer to manage startup fueling and so on. That's probably to your advantage. Mine's an older carbureted model, so I have to give it a fair bit of choke in those colder ranges.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (259,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
This could be a concern. Ducatis are often cold-blooded creatures.

a) How many miles (km) on the bike (and battery)? I find that 3 or 4 years is about as long as a battery lasts, but I do 12K+ miles (19K+ km) a year. Do you remove the battery for winter storage, or have it on a tender? A new battery might be something to consider soon.

b) How cold are you talking? Mine tended to be hard to start below 40F (5C) with the stock system. I upgraded the starting circuit with heavier leads, and added a dedicated ground. Those helped a lot. I also, during the cold season, keep it on the Battery Tender when it's parked at home, just to keep everything tip-top. At the ends of the season (April and Nov/Dec) it's often at or near 20F (-7C) in the morning, and that setup works just fine.

c) You're EFI, and IIRC you don't have a fast-idle lever or any such; you just have to depend on the computer to manage startup fueling and so on. That's probably to your advantage. Mine's an older carbureted model, so I have to give it a fair bit of choke in those colder ranges.

PhilB
RThanks PhilB for the insights. Got the bike only last April and its kinda new to me.
Bike has 8,300 kms engine and battery. Dont have problems starting it cold morning or evenings and from not using the bike for 4 to 5 days. Am still not hooking it up on a tender. My concern is leaving it on a cold evening on a parking lot expose to weather as I have to do my shift at work, which is 110 pm to 80 am. Just brought the bike to work first time last night an it was 13 degrees. no problem starting in the morning after work. FI engine on mine. Not really planning to take the bike when it gets really cold though, saying below 8 degrees.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

OK, not a lot of miles (and vibration), so it sounds like your battery has life left in it. Sounds like it's doing fine, and not to worry. If you start having trouble in the morning, you might consider upgrading the starting circuit, and putting it on a tender when you're home during the day so that you head to work with a full battery. How long is your commute?

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (259,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
I agree with Phil... the computer controlled engines manage their own cold-start adjustments. I do agree you should get a Tender and plug it in, even if it's just once a week; the colder it gets, the less output a battery can produce... it's in your best interest to keep it fully charged. I'm not a big 'plug it in everytime the bike sets' kind of guy, but as a weekly maintenance thing... yes.

It got pretty cold here last week... I think it was all the way down to 78F. My 796 started without problems...
philb likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Garage
Phil can you expand on what you did / how you added the dedicated ground to the starter?

Quote:

b) ..... I upgraded the starting circuit with heavier leads, and added a dedicated ground.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroCreep View Post
Phil can you expand on what you did / how you added the dedicated ground to the starter?
The starter is normally grounded through the engine and frame, but that's a few connections. A cable of the same gauge as the new starter circuit cables was added, directly from the starter negative to the battery negative.

PhilB

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, not a lot of miles (and vibration), so it sounds like your battery has life left in it. Sounds like it's doing fine, and not to worry. If you start having trouble in the morning, you might consider upgrading the starting circuit, and putting it on a tender when you're home during the day so that you head to work with a full battery. How long is your commute?

PhilB
Commute is not far. Just 20kms on the freeway.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie98 View Post
I agree with Phil... the computer controlled engines manage their own cold-start adjustments. I do agree you should get a Tender and plug it in, even if it's just once a week; the colder it gets, the less output a battery can produce... it's in your best interest to keep it fully charged. I'm not a big 'plug it in everytime the bike sets' kind of guy, but as a weekly maintenance thing... yes.

It got pretty cold here last week... I think it was all the way down to 78F. My 796 started without problems...
I do have a tender that came with the bike. Havent used it tough.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty 2.0 View Post
Commute is not far. Just 20kms on the freeway.
That's a little bit of an issue, as that's not long enough to really get the engine up to temperature, and to recharge the battery after starting. So over time, that will run down your charge. So yeah, start using the Tender when it's cold.

PhilB
Charlie98 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode