Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Intermittent Starting Issues

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mgrover 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I own a 2014 Monster 796 and have been having intermittent issues with starting up. I noticed that if the battery is reading 12.3 -12.5V before I try and start it it will fire up no problem. But if the battery is reading anything lower than 12.3 when I push the starter it just "chugs and chugs" I can eventually get it to fire if I keep trying but it seems to be getting worse.

I am not sure if it is related to the voltage reading but that is the only thing that I have found which could possibly be related to my issue. It is also very hard to replicate the issue if I ride it to a mechanic because if the bike has been running for a while it has no problems starting.

If anyone has suggestions please let me know!

Thanks
-A.

#2 ·
The batteries that come out of the factory stock on these suck. My 11' 796 is on it's second battery and has 9k miles. I still have the issue of it starting up and am wondering if it's my battery tender cable that's causing a voltage leak.

I also see issues with it starting with voltage below 12.3 readings. The only thing difference with my bike is it gets two chugs then the entire instrument panel and bike resets. I'm told that's becuase the replacement battery is a lithium ion so who knows.

my 2 cents.

#3 ·
I had an issue similar to this. It would crank a little slower than usual and wouldn't turn on with numerous attempts. Eventually it would catch unless it would drain my battery. It ended up being a bad starter. I learned that this engine needs a good hard crank to start. If the battery or engine turning system is weak, it may not turn it hard enough to ignite.

#4 ·
I too had similar issues with my 2014 696 Monster. It seem to be temp related , when its warm it fires every time but if its some degrees lower it has the same issue as you . Now it could still well be a battery issue as they feel the temperature and bad cells might degrade performance when its a bit colder .............. have you noticed any trends when its warm or cold/fresh ?

#8 ·
Regarding the T6, I also used it for years on my bikes and trucks. After doing a lot of research, I'm switching to Mobil 1 synthetic. It's had a better result with film tests. Here's the article. It's long as hell. In a nut shell, the major name brands perform the best, some conventionals are better than some synthetics, but you're good either way, and the 5 and 10w-30s are the best.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.