Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2012 696 Oil Leak

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  shards51 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

Hope someone here will be able to assist me.

I have gotten myself a 2012 696 Monster, and I am loving it. It has recently started to leak oil on the left hand side of the motor, and it has gotten slightly worse over a course of 2 days.

I read on another forum that I should just try tightening the bolts, but I am not sure what the torque value is.

Please just have a look at the below images and let me know what I can/should do.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
just tighten them to see if they're loose. from this angle it looks like it may be leaking due to the gasket maker not sealing well. has the stator been changed in the bike? how long have you owned and ridden it?

did you follow the trace of oil to see if there's any oil higher up on the motor? if so, the leak may be coming from elsewhere.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I did try and tighten them by hand with some allen keys, but couldn't really get much any tighter. I couldn't find any records of the stator being replaced in it's service records.

I only got it last Saturday ( 18th ) and it has around 11k miles on it currently.

What effect will a replaced stator have on the situation if I may ask?

Kind of new to the more technical side of bikes.

#4 ·
if you couldn't get it tight with allen keys then it's probably as tight as it'll go.

the left engine (stator) cover is where the stator is located. if they replaced it, it's possible they didn't put enough gasket maker or they used gasket sealer instead of gasket maker.

Again, make sure that's where the oil is coming from. clean the area and try to find the exact location. if it's where the stator cover meets the engine, along the bottom, then you probably have to put gasket sealer on there. This will require draining the oil, removing the stator cover, clean the mating surfaces very well, apply new gasket maker, and reinstalling the cover.

Here's a tutorial: http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/tech/300249-diy-testing-battery-regulator-stator-replace.html

#5 ·
Don't do anything until you work out where the leak is. Just clean everything up and run the bike on the sidestand until some evidence appears. I had a leak recently and it was coming via the clutch actuating rod shaft and down via the engine sprocket case. It was a simple fix. First....find the source !!

#6 ·
Hey guys.

Thanks for all the replys, but I took the bike in to the dealer this morning, and the problem was sorted out.

Apparently it was 2 minor O-rings close to the clutch assembly that was causing the leak. All is well again, and I am sure as hell happy it is!

Thanks again guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.