2013 M696 wont start - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mister Ducati

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

2013 M696 wont start

so as the title states my bike wont start, i checked battery, put new gas in it, changed spark plugs to no avail... the pump seems to be working, all fuses are ok, oil levels are ok, i dont know what else to do. the bike cranks and blow through the exhaust but it wont start. any help guys?? thanks

edit: video showing the pump working and the bike crankin

Last edited by josecarlosc; 02-13-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add video of the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM

The first thing to check are the sparkplugs (are they wet with fuel or dry).
If they are dry - make sure that there is enough fuel in the tank to a point that you can easily see the top of the fuel.
Next with the fuel cap open - turn on the ignition switch and look carefully at the fuel in the tank ( are there any waves or bubbles in the fuel while the pump is priming ??).
To do this make sure that the bike is not disturbed and steady - you should not be able to see any waves or bubbles at all during the three second priming period of the pump.
If you do see this then the fuel lines have come off the pump or have a split in the line.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

i have not found the time to check, as soon as i do i will post back! thank for your help

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ducati View Post
The first thing to check are the sparkplugs (are they wet with fuel or dry).
If they are dry - make sure that there is enough fuel in the tank to a point that you can easily see the top of the fuel.
Next with the fuel cap open - turn on the ignition switch and look carefully at the fuel in the tank ( are there any waves or bubbles in the fuel while the pump is priming ??).
To do this make sure that the bike is not disturbed and steady - you should not be able to see any waves or bubbles at all during the three second priming period of the pump.
If you do see this then the fuel lines have come off the pump or have a split in the line.
so i just checked and the sparkplugs seem to be dry and i do see waves but it is after the priming is over, i'll check the fuel lines right now. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722_1487278787509.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	202146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0723_1487278876553.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	202154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724_1487278920264.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	202162   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1487279079356.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	202170  

Last edited by josecarlosc; 02-16-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added photos
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

now the bike started... it is weird i just slightly moved the fuel lines. and now i find a small leak from the oil filter, service was done only 400 miles ago, should i do a full oil change or just try to tighten the filter?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM

There should be no waves at all if the bike has not been moved or bumped while the pump is priming.
Since you see waves then as i mentioned earlier - the fuel lines have come off the pump fitting or are split. Due to this there is no fuel pressure.
You must remove the fuel tank from the bike to do the job. (Be careful and you must siphon most of the fuel from the tank before removing the fuel pump flange quick connectors.)
This is because the fuel that is in the tank will come gushing out of the quick release connections due to the fact that the internal fuel lines are disconnected at the pump !!!.
Mik and josecarlosc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode