Purchasing a 696 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Purchasing a 696

Hi folks,

I'm looking to pick up a 696. Just chasing suggestions around what to look out for and any specific models I should be chasing. I have read that the 14t front sprocket (a mod I would like to do) is not applicable to models with ABS - is that correct?

I'm also torn between the 696 and 796. I love the sss but they fetch significantly more $$ here in Aus. My budget is around $10,000 AUD.

There is a nice 696 with 6,887km on it, red, termi's for $9600 which is what I'm thinking about at the moment.

Current bike is a 2011 Street Triple R which we will be keeping.

Cheers,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Bub

Hey Mark, I have a '13 796 ABS US version w/14T and it works fine. I like the 696 too, but am glad I was able to stretch the budget for the 796 because of slightly more torque/HP, nicer seat, red frame, sss. However, a nice 696 w/termi's is tempting. BTW, the Triump R is a super nice bike!
Except for the headlight....

I wave to everyone on two wheels (unless it's a car).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Hey Mark, I have a '13 796 ABS US version w/14T and it works fine. I like the 696 too, but am glad I was able to stretch the budget for the 796 because of slightly more torque/HP, nicer seat, red frame, sss. However, a nice 696 w/termi's is tempting. BTW, the Triump R is a super nice bike!
Except for the headlight....
Thanks mate. So no issues running 14t with ABS then? Interesting...

I do really like the sss. The extra grunt from the motor would be nice also, but from what I have read the 696 still goes well.

The only issues I'm finding re the 796 is a serious lack of availability, and when they do turn up $12k seems to be a cheap example. Where for $3k less you can get a neat 696 with far less km's. Insurance is about $200 cheaper per annum also.

The headlights were an issue but they've grown on me!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Bub

Sorry 'bout the headlight comment on the Triumph, no offense please!

Not sure what the thinking is for the 15t to 14t front sprocket change affecting the ABS, on this forum many have done the mod with good results. I could live with the 15t though...

Wow, for the price difference and low miles/km's I would definitely go with the 696. Plus, have you priced Termi's? They're crazy expensive.
I also like the lower seat height on the 696.

Good on 'ya!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry 'bout the headlight comment on the Triumph, no offense please!

Not sure what the thinking is for the 15t to 14t front sprocket change affecting the ABS, on this forum many have done the mod with good results. I could live with the 15t though...

Wow, for the price difference and low miles/km's I would definitely go with the 696. Plus, have you priced Termi's? They're crazy expensive.
I also like the lower seat height on the 696.

Good on 'ya!
Yeah that's what I was thinking. My main concern was that there was something that may make me regret the purchase but I really am limited by a budget, and there are no 796's anyway. I was very close to picking up an S2R 800 with 6,000km for $7600 AUD. With arrow pipes and steering damper but missed that one. It was sooo clean and in red with white wheels which I think looks amazing. However the longer service intervals and supposed improvements reliability wise had me thinking the newer models would be a wise option..

No issues about the headlights comment. It's a love it or hate it thing. The bike is so good that myself and my partner were willing to look past the front end aesthetics..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:09 PM

What part of Oz you from? I knew a Mark from Perth who rode his bike around here in the US, so I gotta ask.

If the price is that big of a difference then I'd go with the 696. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lower sitting position. I ended up upgrading to the 1100 Evo for the side exhaust.

Bigger front sprocket won't be an issue. A lot of people make that mod on this bike.

Monster 1100 EVO, Ninja 300, CBR 1000RR
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Bub

For around town, or on the highway!
Let us know how your bike stuff turns out..
-Bub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d1d46a498fd36a5aed08abee6e3b4efb.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	201834   Click image for larger version

Name:	1445544510174.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	201842  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
What part of Oz you from? I knew a Mark from Perth who rode his bike around here in the US, so I gotta ask.

If the price is that big of a difference then I'd go with the 696. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lower sitting position. I ended up upgrading to the 1100 Evo for the side exhaust.

Bigger front sprocket won't be an issue. A lot of people make that mod on this bike.
Yeah thinking the 696 will be the go. I'm from Adelaide. Seat height may be an issue but my partner will also ride the bike on occasion so I need to consider that. How hard is it to change the seat height if I decide to go down that route?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
For around town, or on the highway!
Let us know how your bike stuff turns out..
-Bub
Multi-use. If it was solely highway I would be going a sport bike, but this will be for commuting duties also. I wouldn't mind some touring at some stage in the future so considering that although it is quite a low concern.

Cheers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

The M696 is plenty of bike, and I think you'll be happy with what you are looking at. Older versions are prettier, but functionally, you'll be much better off with an M696 over a S2R800.

Monsters are good versatile all-around bikes; it's a good choice for mixing up highway, city, commuting, light touring, etc. The main limitation there is that touring is one-up -- it isn't a good choice for carrying a passenger on anything but a short ride. The bike doesn't mind, and works fine, but the passenger tends to object after a bit.

ABS is good if you can get it; I don't know if that's an option for the M696. Sprocket choice shouldn't make any difference for that. The 14t is a good mod for the city, and the twisties, but would be a minus on the highway or for touring. I actually went the other way on mine for a long time. Monsters of my year came with a 15/39 combination. When I bought it, I was in the American West (wide open, much like parts of Australia), and I switched to a 15/37 to help with highway/distance manners. Now I'm in a more populated area (New England), so I went back to the stock 15/39. I still travel, though, so I'm not going to go shorter than that.

It's surprisingly good for touring for me. I can do 500-600 miles (800-1000 km) per day on the highway pretty easily, and up to 900 miles (1500 km) in a day if I'm really aiming to get somewhere. I've been to 36 states, plus parts of Canada and Mexico, on it, over the last 24 years, and have 250K miles (400K km) on it total so far.

The core mechanicals aren't really very different from my bike to the M696/M796 generation. They'll last forever if you do the suggested maintenance, and don't let it sit and rot.

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (260,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode