Interesting fault ...needing help. Power failure. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mister Ducati

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Interesting fault ...needing help. Power failure.

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help with my none starting 2012 696.
I have had a load of issues with charging after having new regulators, new batteries (from birth ...first regulator was just after a year). The alternator bells out fine with a meter and the connections I could get to (without too much stress) seem ok. I now keep things topped up with a trickle charger most regularly.
I ride all the year round to get to work, but daughter was ill over Christmas. This meant that I didn't ride for 3 weeks. Gave a couple of hours charge before starting and very little happened the next morning:
Turned Key and parking light + rear light on.
No pumps, no whirring motors, no instrument panel, no controls ...nothing.
Battery is fine 12.9v, all fuses including main 30A are fine. power is getting to and from the fuse box.

I have a while of having the bike nicely parked in my conservatory (little bit cool I've got to say) to investigate.
Any thought on the first places to check. I can't get the bike to a garage (or afford it) and my body can only handle 12 miles a day cycling for so long.

Much appreciated help needed,
Gav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:11 PM

This has me stumped. No power to the panel and no starting usually mean the main fuse (30A).

Monster 1100 EVO, Ninja 300, CBR 1000RR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 PM

The fact that you have 12.9 volts is usually a good sign but it depends on where in the power cycle you checked the voltage. With the key off or on ??- If off then check it with the power on.
I really really doubt that you have 12.9 volts with power on !!
Will need much more info than this.
Mik likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm getting volts getting through the fuses that get power from the 30A fuse. I don't get volts through fuses for 'Key on' or Load (From the top, fuse 1 and 3) ...this doesn't change with key on.

With the ignition unplugged I get varying voltage on the red cable on this socket (depending on wiggle from 3-8v and good voltage to small orange).
I traced that wire through the diagrams and got 12v at the origin (30A fuse), 12v at the regulator (both wires) and 12v at the 4 live fuses. I'm wondering if there is a break in connection or joining with another wire. All the other places are not affected even when I plug the ignition switch back in.
Do we know where in the loom these bits of red wire are joined so I can test them or if there are any weak points known about.

If I am barking up any wrong trees let me know.
Thanks for the response
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:12 AM

Well sorry to say - You have a short in the wiring harness. A few years back there was issued a service bulletin for a known electric issue on these models.
The main harness would come in contact with the vertical Cylinder cooling fins and due to heat and vibration would cut/melt some wires in the harness.
Looking at the bike from the right side - just under the tank/just front of vertical Cylinder - follow the harness where it drops down in front of the cylinder - look for damage (sometimes it can be difficult to see ).
Next place to look is at the top side of the Vertical Cyl. Head (just above the camshaft drive gear area). The harness goes over this area and can burn through between the head and harness ( you must lift and twist the harness at that area to see if there is any damage ).
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode