Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

07 Monster 696 died while riding, will not start again.

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  sjcdal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. New to the forums. I have searched other threads but cannot find one with my specific problem. I have an 07 Monster 695 that I bought in July. I havent had any issues besides a faulty battery that I replaced with an Interstate. Last weekend I attended a bike rally and an intoxicated dude knocked my bike over(while I was in the event). I was told this happened by bystanders. I drove the bike home, it seemed fine. But This week I started having the issue where it starts up, drives fine for a while, and then bogs down and dies after it gets warmed up. I can usually get it started again after removing the spark plug wires, and resetting them. But on my way home today, that wasnt the case. I checked the spark plugs, they seemed okay and not fowled out, but replaced them with new NGKs anyway just to check it off the list. No help. Battery is good, lights come on when key is turned on, fuel pump sounds like it primes. Bike just cranks. I dont have a voltage tester, but will be borrowing one from a friend tomorrow to test the coil. I'm new to ducati, and would like to know if anyone has any troubleshooting suggestions before I head in the wrong direction. It's full of gas, killswitch is off, kickstand up, in neutral, tried the entire checklist for proper starting. Thanks so much for helping a noob in advanced.

#4 · (Edited)
the 696 wasn't launched until 2008 and in the States I believe in 09, so it can't be an 07. so maybe that's your problem.

seriously though,

Doesn't sound like the kickstand switch because it won't even start in neutral. Not the battery if it's turning the motor well.

Have you opened the gas tank to let it breathe? On what side was it knocked down? Could be the fuel canister was flooded and now the tank isn't breathing, not allowing enough fuel to go into the injectors. That would explain the bogging down. If it weren't getting spark, it wouldn't have bogged down and eventually died; it would either shut off altogether (if it's both cylinders not firing) or barely stay on and run like **** (if it's only running on a single cylinder). If it's the canister, do the canister delete mod; free mod.

#5 ·
Sorry, meant 695. I typed this in a hurry last night. I didn't think it'd be some kind of killswitch. That makes sense that it might not be a spark issue since it bogs down first. I'll crack open the gas tank tonight to see what I can find. I haven't checked the fuel lines inside the tank yet. Apparently those have been an issue for some owners? Just popping off randomly, I hear. Maybe its fall jarred something loose. It fell onto its left side if you were sitting on the bike--the kickstand side.

#12 ·
Welp, I went ahead and ordered a CPS on ebay, installed it today, and got to the stop sign at the end of my road, and it died again. It wouldn't start, so I pushed the bike back home. I'm running out of ideas. Fuel lines are fine, none are pinched(from what I can see) and none are disconnected. Spark is getting to the plugs.

#14 ·
I needed to do a fuel pump at 15k miles or so... Same thing happened to me - just died while riding.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Old discussion, but my recent experience is similar. 2001 M900 Cromo...30,000 miles. Fuel pump failed, I replaced the pump, and then next time out..the wiring in that fuel sensor/fuel pump connection failed, and the pump stopped working.
Thought I repaired that...and next ride..hose pops off the newly installed fuel pump.
Back out, and the wiring through the fuel sensor fails again...and after I push it home (1.7 miles) from that failure, now the starter also will not crank.
Starter turns out to be a broken wire from the starter switch at a junction near the front fork. Just twenty years of flexing breaks the wire.
Give in and pay the $180 for a new fuel sensor, install that all is good. For five minutes.
1/2 mile from home, pushed home again. It was running fine, then just kind of sputters and dies. Can hear the fuel pump prime but nothing.
Open the tank AGAIN, and peer inside, turn the switch and you can see one of the new hoses from pump to fuel filter has sprung a leak..gas is swirling in the tank.
Fairly quick easy repair to cut the hose at the leak and re-attach to the pump with the existing clip.

All seams good now, but I have had it with pushing this 400lb M900 around town. I am ready for it to start doing the work again.

I certainly appreciate all the suggestions on here...I just didn't expect that ALL of them would apply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.