Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster 696 Valve Adjustment Interval

18K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  1UglyBastard 
#1 ·
Does anyone here go past the recommended 7500 mi valve adjust interval? I do 95% highway driving and wondering if I can stretch out the interval to say 9-10k. Can I damage the engine or will it just start to loose compression and not start easy if out of spec?

#2 ·
How many miles are on the bike total? If this is your first check at 7500 miles, I'd suggest doing it on or near schedule. If this is your 4th check, coming up on 30K, and the previous checks have generally been good, you could probably stretch it out.

Mine has a recommended check interval of 5K, but once I was past about 40K, everything was well settled in and not changing much. I now get them checked once a year, which is anywhere between 10K and 18K, and they generally are fine -- maybe one or two need adjustment every other check.

PhilB

#3 ·
I'm at 7000 miles total, first check. Was just looking to stretch it out some if possible based on the easy highway miles I've been doing commuting to work. I know on non-desmo engines, if the valves get worn, the bike just becomes hard to start (loses compression). Not sure on the Ducati engines if it's damaging to the engine to run the valves out of spec or close to it.

#4 ·
Its with any engine. You could be fine but there may be no warning and the consequences are a really messed up engine. Checking them are easy. Adjusting is a little harder and time consuming. I would personally check them because they were set from the factory brand new and even if you have been doing lower rpms on the highway there is still a lot of wear and tear and settling in on the first check.

#5 ·
The old phrase was "penny wise and pound foolish". Ducatis (and Italian stuff in general) is designed with the expectation of decent maintenance being performed. My advice is always the same, for anything Italian especially (but for anything at all, really) -- ride the heck out of it; do the maintenance; consider your modifications carefully; if'n it ain't broke, don't fix it; whatever you do, don't let it sit and rot.

I would advise having the valves checked on or near schedule. The first check is the most important, as your new engine will have been changing. Bolts stretch, gaskets compress. All sorts of parts settle in, wear off the rough edges, break in (you did follow the recommended break-in procedures, right?).

PhilB

#7 ·
Sounds like I should take it in close to the 7500 mile mark. Obviously that is the safest thing to do. I did talk to my dealer last year about valve checks, and he mentioned the first is the most important and the ones after can be stretched out a little as the valves wear less once broken in.

I love my Ducati but the maintenance is the most of any bike I have ever owned. I always do my own maintenance, including valve adjustments, but will probably have the dealer do this one. I have no time lately to do it myself (travel a lot with work). It's a pain getting at the valves on this one. I did check the front exhaust valve at 5k miles and it was fine. Replaced the timing belts too. That wasn't too bad to do.

Thanks for the info everyone.

#8 · (Edited)
When I got my first duc, a 696, waited until 8,300 miles and I shouldn't have. One of the openers was super tight. The second check required 2 shims replaced as well. My 1100 also required replacements during the first 2 checks. I service them on time, now.

I'm getting the MBP retainers for this next check; after that, I expect to only have to check the clearances, which I'll still do at regular intervals.

#11 ·
Just an update. I waited until 8500 miles to do the valves. 2 needed minor adjustment and 2 were not adjusted at all. So I guess the 2 are good up to the 15k interval. It was only $250 for the valve adjustment too. Pretty reasonable for Ducati.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.