Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

M696 dying @ idle

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  aleq88 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I had my Monster serviced at the dealer in February and when riding it back on a cold night noticed that it was having some difficulty idling - when I pulled up to a stop light the bike would die and I would have to restart it with the RPM around 4k. I figured it was the weather (super cold that night, near freezing) even though I hadn't experienced problems with that before.

I just pulled the bike out of the garage now that beautiful weather is upon us in the Midwest and the same problem is still happening. I also notice that when I am cruising in second gear at 4k-5k RPM the bike is lurching and jumpy despite me not adjusting the throttle.

My gut says this is a faulty spark plug but wanted to gather your thoughts before I crack it open.

Thanks

#4 ·
Did you ever find your issue? Mine has been having problems and it seems to be when the idle is below 4-5K and I was told to keep the "cold start control lever" open. The problem is that it will still die when I try to take off after it is warm. And I am talking 90 degrees + outside! I have heard a couple of different things from the Ducati dealership here, not really helping. Any insight would be great! :O)

#6 ·
Hello guys, i had a similar problem with my 2010 696 , the spark plugs where black and the bike was running hard idle and black smoke was comming from my exhausts. The problem was caused by a thin hose from the cilinder into the throttle body. I think its a vaccum hose. The rubber was old and cracked. Replaced them and the bike runns great again. The bike has 28000 km

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.