Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Monster running hot after frame slider install

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BushyAR15 
#1 ·
I installed the Rizoma frame sliders on my Monster 821 (I am posting in the 1200 section due to no section for 821 and the fact that the frame sliders operate the same for both).

I installed them per the installation instructions. For the bolts that tighten into the engine I found the correct torque numbers to use and torqued to those numbers. When installing the rizoma frame sliders you have to remove the coolant hoses on the left side of the bike. Do to that process you obviously lose coolant. Therefore I purchased the recommended coolant in the Owners/Maintenance Manual.

Now for the issues... I think I overfilled the coolant when adding coolant back. I rode it about 20 min from my old house to the new one. The bike ran in the 200-210 range the entire time. It pushed the 220 range a good bit as well. I've put about 1500 miles on the bike prior to installing the frame sliders and it has never run over the 200 degree mark unless it was 90 degrees, extremely humid, and I was sitting at red light after red light.

It is definitely not operating to the norm. I removed some of the coolant out of the reservoir and got it back inbetween the min and max level and I am still having the same issues. When I start the bike up cold and let it idle, it gets up to 195-200 degrees in less than 4 min. I dont let it get any hotter for fear of damaging the bike.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to do I would really appreciate it. I am almost to the point of taking it back to the dealer to get it checked out. (bike is less than a year old and has 15xx miles on it.)

Thanks for any help/advice anyone can give.

Craig

See less See more
#7 ·
https://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/how-to-change-coolant/view-all

"Slowly fill the radiator or coolant tank with fresh coolant until the coolant is 1 in. below the neck of the radiator or a few inches below the full mark on the coolant tank. Start the engine and let it run. After the engine warms, you'll see the coolant level quickly drop in the radiator/coolant tank. That means the thermostat has opened and it's time to add more coolant to bring the level to the top of the radiator, or to the “HOT” mark on the coolant tank"

#8 ·
As others have stated you probably or more than likely have air in your cooling system. On my TZ250 racebike we used to "burp" it simply by lifting the front and high enough so that the "filler" was the highest point in the system (past the hose bends) and air would come out. Obviously not something easily done on a Monster 1200. Follow the suggestions above about running it with the radiator cap off...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.