Monster running hot after frame slider install - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By 350LCjohnny
  • 2 Post By Sonic Duck
  • 1 Post By Brianq103

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Monster running hot after frame slider install

I installed the Rizoma frame sliders on my Monster 821 (I am posting in the 1200 section due to no section for 821 and the fact that the frame sliders operate the same for both).

I installed them per the installation instructions. For the bolts that tighten into the engine I found the correct torque numbers to use and torqued to those numbers. When installing the rizoma frame sliders you have to remove the coolant hoses on the left side of the bike. Do to that process you obviously lose coolant. Therefore I purchased the recommended coolant in the Owners/Maintenance Manual.

Now for the issues... I think I overfilled the coolant when adding coolant back. I rode it about 20 min from my old house to the new one. The bike ran in the 200-210 range the entire time. It pushed the 220 range a good bit as well. I've put about 1500 miles on the bike prior to installing the frame sliders and it has never run over the 200 degree mark unless it was 90 degrees, extremely humid, and I was sitting at red light after red light.

It is definitely not operating to the norm. I removed some of the coolant out of the reservoir and got it back inbetween the min and max level and I am still having the same issues. When I start the bike up cold and let it idle, it gets up to 195-200 degrees in less than 4 min. I dont let it get any hotter for fear of damaging the bike.

If anyone has any recommendations on what to do I would really appreciate it. I am almost to the point of taking it back to the dealer to get it checked out. (bike is less than a year old and has 15xx miles on it.)

Thanks for any help/advice anyone can give.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Garage
possible air-lock?
that is a bubble of air in a high area where it cannot flow down and blocks the coolant flow
Brianq103 and BushyAR15 like this.

Jon G
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
If so try to disconnect a very high hose. block one end with a cork the other with your thumb and release the air. refill the coolant tank reconnect and re-re-fill the coolant

Jon G

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Do you know how to refill the coolant? In particular, did crank the bike and let it warm up with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opened then topped it off?
Brianq103 and BushyAR15 like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
Do you know how to refill the coolant? In particular, did crank the bike and let it warm up with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opened then topped it off?
Bingo.
BushyAR15 likes this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianq103 View Post
Bingo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post

I actually did not do this. I unfortunately did not read anywhere that stated that was how to refill the coolant. I added the coolant into the expansion tank. Do you know if this a good write up on refilling the coolant with the radiator cap off? How do you know when the thermostat opens? Sorry for all the questions. This one is new to me.

From the sounds of it I have an airlock in the radiator.

I will try these when I get home tonight and see if I can fix the issues. Thank you everyone for the response. Much appreciated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 PM

https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...olant/view-all

"Slowly fill the radiator or coolant tank with fresh coolant until the coolant is 1 in. below the neck of the radiator or a few inches below the full mark on the coolant tank. Start the engine and let it run. After the engine warms, you'll see the coolant level quickly drop in the radiator/coolant tank. That means the thermostat has opened and it's time to add more coolant to bring the level to the top of the radiator, or to the “HOT” mark on the coolant tank"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 07:44 AM

As others have stated you probably or more than likely have air in your cooling system. On my TZ250 racebike we used to "burp" it simply by lifting the front and high enough so that the "filler" was the highest point in the system (past the hose bends) and air would come out. Obviously not something easily done on a Monster 1200. Follow the suggestions above about running it with the radiator cap off...

2015 Monster 1200s Stripe
2016 Honda Africa Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode