Looking to buy M1200 - What should I look out for? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy M1200 - What should I look out for?

Hey guys,

Let me just go over a quick history of motorcycles and myself and why getting a M1200 is high on my list.

I've ridden my first bike since 2008 (Suzuki GS500F), I'm a very simple person and due to this, I've never wanted to upgrade my bike until I knew EXACTLY what I wanted for my next bike. My next bike I wish to keep for the next 20-30 years (probably for life). I don't care for new gadgets or what not in newer models as the bike I've been riding since 2008 is pretty old school (has no ABS, TC, Rider modes etc) ... So I won't exactly be jealous of newer models having newer gadgets and toys. So keeping the bike for decades to come is do-able for me.

So down to the main part of this ... I have taken a liking to naked bikes, specifically street fighters. I have highly considered Triumph's Speed Triple and Ducati M1200. On a side note, I also took interest in the BMW R1200 GSA as I would also like to go off-road and take road trips... though I am a relatively young lad so I think getting something a little more sexier should be in my books (quite shallow I know).

I've done a bit of reading over official Ducati websites, review websites, read forums (notably this one) and watched youtube videos on the M1200. Despite all this, I think getting an honest down the Earth review from owners themselves is the way to go. It seems to me the M1200S is the way to go, rather than the R, is this correct? Apparently it comes with better toys?

The focus of this thread is judging from my needs and wants, how fitting is the M1200 for me?
How reliable is it? As I said earlier, this bike may be my bike for the next few decades, will it last the test of time?
How comfortable over long rides is it? I wish to go for road trips not only within my country but around the world too (You can see why I took a look at the BMW R1200 GSA lol)
How is it with fuel consumption?

The downsides so far I have read about this is the rear brakes being basically non-existent and the dash being almost unreadable. Are the rear brakes still an issue? How possible is it to modify the dash? I honestly wish they added an analog taco and everything else digital, much like the BMW S1000R. Being so used to old school tech, I don't mind making the switch to full digital, though I'd like it to work with the rider.

I am looking to purchase brand new, as I feel it's much more poetic ... I can definitely call it MY bike since day one for the next 30 years or more. So I would be looking towards the 2017 model.

Any help and advice will be appreciated, thanks!
BushyAR15 and 350LCjohnny like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Garage
Evets:

Since you are buying a new bike I believe the 1200S is a great option, it comes with some good upgrades from the previous models. Finally a fuel and gear indicator (which are minor annoyances but they're nice to have). I used to have a Buell XB9SX before so I was also used to a very simple bike but for the price tag of the Monster I expect all the tech of the Enterprise on it.

Regarding the 1200R, I think that if you're a very fast driver and do track days often it's ok. I'm more sport-touring oriented so it's easier to fit saddlebags and extra stuff on the 1200S and probably the passenger seat is more comfortable (at least for short rides).

Like you I also like the GSA or even the regular GS, they're great touring machines but I don't have much time (or money) to ride them the way they should so for me the 1200S is really comfortable as a multipurpose bike, for road trips I can put some saddlebags on it, has great power, and is very easy to hadle in the city or the highway, wind protection is not great, but just look at her... (I love naked bikes). The seat is fairly comfortable, I've done a couple 3+hours trips and it hold well, it tends to push your balls towads the tank a little bit, so a few adjustment is required. Not sure if the 2017 model changed that since the geometry is different. Perhaps someone here with the '17 model can chime in.

The dash is not that bad, I also prefer analog gauges, at least the tach, but the information it provides is very good and the tach is more prominent in Sport mode. It sucks when the sun shines at it in some angles because you can't see anything, but you should be watching the road more than the dash, so for the ocasional glance it's ok.

For reliability, IMO in any car or bike as long as you do the proper service when needed you'll be fine. (except the Buell where the clutch cable snapped twice on me, but it was an awesome bike)

Last edited by Nomad; 06-18-2017 at 01:29 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Garage
@Evets42

Quote #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets42 View Post
On a side note, I also took interest in the BMW R1200 GSA as I would also like to go off-road and take road trips
Based on your need above, you should be considering a Multistrada or a Hypermotard in the Ducati family, not a Monster.

Quote #2
Quote:
I don't care for new gadgets or what not in newer models as the bike I've been riding since 2008 is pretty old school (has no ABS, TC, Rider modes etc) ... So I won't exactly be jealous of newer models having newer gadgets and toys.

Quote #3
Quote:
It seems to me the M1200S is the way to go, rather than the R, is this correct? Apparently it comes with better toys?
Based on quote #2 and #3, the Monster "R' has better hardware and less gadgets than the Monster "S".

Quote:
How comfortable over long rides is it? I wish to go for road trips not only within my country but around the world too
Based on this, you should be considering a Multistrada in the Ducati line-up.

Conclusion:
IMHO, You have some serious soul searching to do. With all due respect, figure-out what you want to do with a bike then choose the genre you need. Then choose the brand and model within.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959

Last edited by DarR; 06-18-2017 at 08:41 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 PM

I just sold my 1200s and my bike was trouble free.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Hello Evets42
I have the very first model M1200 2014 ... I dont ride as much as I would want to but almost all my rides are 3+ hours .... up to 5 hours
got the AirHawk seat when I ride solo and the corbin 2 up when ride with my wife.... for me is very comfortable
I come from Suzuki GXSR with countless track days and about 5 years of motocross when I was young.
I had Honda mini trail, honda 70, yamaha mini enduro, yamaha 360,yamaha YZ 125 and 250, Suzuki GS 1100, GSXR 600
The Monster ......This is the bike, is like when you saw that girl when you were young and you wanted to be with her at all cost...
this is it ..... Dash board, Brakes, gadgets etc ...is secondary .... this is a DUCATI MONSTER .. like the name imply ... MONSTERS are not perfect
but this one is beautiful .... if you dont feel like is calling you ? is not for you

Just my thoughts

Hope you get one
listen hard .... you wont regret it

Cheers

on the ground a Big 18 wheeler
In the air a Huge 747...
Monster 1200
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstuner View Post
I just sold my 1200s and my bike was trouble free.
I just sold my 1200s and my bike was a nightmare.

Decades? Around the world? Don't get a Monster.

Granted, one would be have to be pretty dim to think any bike could meet these requirements...maybe a KLR650? Not very sexy though. But some people think they are rugged, eye of the beholder I guess.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imstuner View Post
I just sold my 1200s
Wha-wha-what!?!

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
I just sold my 1200s and my bike was a nightmare.

Decades? Around the world? Don't get a Monster.

Granted, one would be have to be pretty dim to think any bike could meet these requirements...maybe a KLR650? Not very sexy though. But some people think they are rugged, eye of the beholder I guess.
At the very least, make sure you don't end up with Sonic's bike! What was the serial number on that thing again?...

2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Garage
...and now to answer your question. The bike you want to do all those things is definitely not going to be a naked bike. Trust me, as the guy who is looking for bike number three, it's a real challenge to get a gorgeous, do-it-all motorcycle. No matter what, there is always a compromise. The bikes that are closest to doing most things well are the adventure touring "bird-beak bikes", which discounts the sexy factor! The nicest looking one, in my opinion, is one of the few non-bird beak ones, the Africa Twin. It's also the most technically simple of the current crop of ADV's as well. Now would I call it sexy? Hell no! But I didn't like the look initially but it has grown on me. As always, demo everything you can get your hands on, see everything you can see, YouTube search everything you can and then go with what moves you the most. How it ultimately makes you feel is what is going to make a life long relationship, with a bike I mean. People are just f'd up!

2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Garage
I ride two bikes: a Panigale for personal riding meditation and a Monster 1200R as my sport cruiser, hooligan and group riding stallion.
Just as a follow-up to what @Brianq103 posted, I was at the Yamaha ride day last week where the only bike I hadn't had the opportunity to ride from last year's Yamaha ride day plus all the dealer's demo's was the FJ-09. Reason: An ADV bike would be my choice as a third ride. I was very impressed with its comfort and awesome power. I still prefer the Multistrada as the ultimate road warrior but we're not dealing in the same price range either.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode