New tires now soped wobbles - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo
  • 2 Post By TRK

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
TRK

New tires now soped wobbles

Ok. I hace a 2015 monster 1200S with 3K mileage. I just got new tires ( Michelin PR4) and got speed wobble under hard acceleration at about 90mph shifting into third gear. I have never had that happen with this bike with the old tires. I also adjusted the suspension to sport settings as per the manual about two weeks ago which was before I got the new tires. Under moderate acceleration to same speed did not experience any wobbles.
Any thoughts?.

Last edited by TRK; 06-08-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRK View Post
Ok. I hace a 2015 monster 1200S with 3K mileage. I just got new tires ( Michelin PR4) and got speed wobble under hard acceleration at about 90mph shifting into third gear. I have never had that happen with this bike with the old tires. I also adjusted the suspension to sport settings as per the manual about two weeks ago which was before I got the new tires. Under moderate acceleration to same speed did not experience any wobbles.
Any thoughts?.
Try shifting In your seat...front to back...if it goes away it's your sag that's off...if the wheel weights were off it would be an ever increasing vibration...if it's sudden it's likely geometry...under acceleration pulls weight off the front which is why I feel it sounds like preload in the rear

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 06-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
TRK

So do you think that since I adjusted the suspension to sport settings and did not check the sag my rear pre load is not stiff enough?. I will check the sag this weekend. I do not have anyone that can help lift the rear tire. Do you think it is ok to lift the bike under the engine where the oil screen is if I use a scissor jack with a piece of wood on top
Thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRK View Post
So do you think that since I adjusted the suspension to sport settings and did not check the sag my rear pre load is not stiff enough?. I will check the sag this weekend. I do not have anyone that can help lift the rear tire. Do you think it is ok to lift the bike under the engine where the oil screen is if I use a scissor jack with a piece of wood on top
Thanks
I believe the softer setting allowed the bike to squat more and the stiffer sport setting holds the bike to high during acceleration...the combination of reduced front wheel pressure and a too high rear end is pushing through the front tire causing instability...especially noticable at spirited speeds...as to setting the sag single handed...there are many methods...rocking the bike over on it's kickstand will lift the back tire and allow you to take a measurement...or setup a tripod and lift the rear end yourself...set up a self timer and sit on it...looking for 1.25 to 1.5 total...i tried the jack idea myself and it just made me laugh...the bikes pretty well balanced...simpler still is let out some preload ,go for a ride...if it wobbles scoot back in the seat...if it goes away let out some more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
TRK likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
TRK

Makes sense especially since I was sitting far up on the seat. I will adjust the pre load and let you know how it goes
Buhgaboo and 350LCjohnny like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode