2017 S or 2016 R or Supersport? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

2017 S or 2016 R or Supersport?

Hi all! First post after lurking for a bit.

Little about me first: I currently ride a Honda CBR 650F and I've been riding a few years now, but the CBR was the first bike I've owned. I've been talking to my SO about an upgrade later this year and we've been looking at the 1200 Monster as the one to get. My riding is about 25% riding solo, 25% toying with the buddies (all on liter sportbikes), and 50% cruising with the SO 2-up.

So here's my dilemma: I just visited my local dealer yesterday and got to talking about what's available and yada yada. He has a 2016 1200 R with full Termi's and 457 miles that he can sell at 0% APR and at the same price as the 2017 1200 S.

I'm torn. I'm a short guy at 5'-5" and I'm concerned about the height difference. I do have a preference for the 2017 tail since it raises the passenger slightly more. Also wondering if I should just go with the base model and save budget for aftermarket later on.

And then there's the Supersport... If Ducati stuck the monster 1200 s/r engine in the Supersport, I wouldn't probably wouldn't be writing this post.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 AM

Ignoring the technical differences for the moment, I would go with '17 1200s given you have to balance the bike 2up and your height. But test ride the Multisport 2up first. It may be all you need. If 1200r seat can be set to a lower position you should try that too of course.
The other thing to keep in mind is that aftermarket seats, like Corbin, effectively increase the seat height because the are wider than stock. I have one on my 14 1200s and I'm on my toes. I'm barely 5-7, 30" inseam. I can almost flat foot the OEM seat at its low setting.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 10:59 PM

Garage
The 1200 s/r engine in the Supersport would be great given your usage. However, Ducati is not there yet.
For me, I'd go with the 1200R with the Termis given that you're riding alone 50% of the time. The liter bikes wont out-run you on the street and you'll blow them away with your new found wheelie skills.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 AM

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...017-1200r.html

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...upersport.html

I gotta think though that the Monster is ill-suited to 50% of your riding (unless she's tiny? How far is "cruising"?) and not exactly perfect for the another 25% but that's hard to put point on. Sure they ride liter bikes but are they pencil peckers that are compensating or are they a bunch of old guys with names like Foggy and Chili? And are you a pencil pecker or named Foggy or Chili? A 1200 Monster is within the realm of statistical error of the liter bikes (new liter bikes with electronics? older without?) but there are a lot of variables. FWIW, I'd think a Supersport less so given the horsepower deficit. Hard to make that up, not like it compensates by being lighter or more nimble than a liter bike.

Personally, given my warranty experience, there's no reason in the world to buy new or as good as new from a dealer with plenty of good used stock around. YMMV and obviously after being out thousands of dollars I have a strong bias.

Can't really tell you what will work for you. I would think coming from a sensible CBR650 that you are economically minded and what you really want is a lightly used 1200 S.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Garage
I really like the CBR650F as I believe it's one of the best and most civilized street focused sportbikes out there.
I know it wasn't one of your choices but a used Multistrada would hit the mark on many of your usages. Just saying.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

To answer some questions:
I'm by no means skilled enough to make use of either the 1200s or r... and neither are my friends.
Keeping up with them in a straight line is really all it'll come down to and honestly the 650F isn't even terrible at that at legal speeds.

I make a decent living but I can't say I'm overly wealthy and budget is definitely a concern.

With all that said, I'm kind of asking for something that doesn't exist by wanting a "sporty" bike that does 2-up touring well, but also is short enough for me to be comfortable at a stoplight with her on the back (and she's not too big btw, 5'3" and 130lbs)... and /would like/ somewhere around 150hp/80+ ft/lbs torque that's actually accessible at a relatively low rpm.

She prefers naked bikes (aesthetics only) and looks don't matter to me as much as performance and ride-ability.

I've also been tossing around the idea of a Yamaha fz-10 as it's exactly in line with what I want, but we both think it's ugly as sin. On the other hand, it's $5000 cheaper than the monster comparing new to new... and that could buy a lot of shiny bits.

To elaborate on what kind of riding I do:
Out of the 6,000 miles I've put on the 650F so far, approx. 2000 of those were either solo or group spirited riding, 1000 were short trips with her on the back riding leisurely (1 hour or less one-way), and 3000 were solo interstate touring trips of 300+ miles one-way.

Future riding will consist much more of the leisurely type with her on the back, although she is growing a liking to getting low in corners.

As an aside: She is completely new to motorcycles and is warming up to it still. Eventually I'd like to get her onto her own and go for some nice longer trips sight-seeing.

P.S. I apologize for the novel.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Well as a quick hit, I looked at the FZ-10 pretty hard since it ticked all my boxes but the horrible range sadly wrote it off. I'd own one otherwise but 100-110 miles to a tank is a deal killer for me and I would guess you too if you're doing 300+ mile interstate trips.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM

Garage
I just rode the FZ10 a couple of weeks ago. While I won't be buying one anytime soon, I really liked it and it gave me some ideas regarding some mods for my 1200S. For one thing, it is one HELL of a lot more comfortable from a seat-to-peg relationship standpoint. When I went from the FZ10 back to my Monster it was like "I have to put my feet where?!?". So, I bought some of the 40mm peg extenders and wow!; what a difference for my old achy hips! I didn't realize it had such a poor fuel range, so if that's the case it kinda takes it off the list for me too.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Is the fuel range on the fz-10 really that bad?

Everything I've read to date suggests 150 miles or more at highway cruising... which is exactly in line with what the Monster gets.

Stopping for fuel every 2 hours or so is definitely not a terrible thing in my mind.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:55 PM

4.5 gallons @ low 30's MPG and I'm looking for gas around 110-120 miles

On the Monster, I get mid 40's or better and look for gas around 160. To further skew the argument in the favor of my position, I've even went 200 miles on a tank with the Monster.

Sounds like it doesn't matter to you, for me the range is too restrictive, even if just mentally, when I go wandering in the hills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode