Monster 1200 OEM grips ? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Monster 1200 OEM grips ?

'Evening boys.

So, i'm thinking of changing the grips since the factory installed ones are almost kaput but...dealer told me that the OEM ones come with the TPS included and quoted me something around 600... wat ? Either the they're mistaken or Ducati thinks we're muppets...

Has anyone changed the OEM grips ? How much was it ? Also, any other good alternatives like for example, installing grips from the 1100/696/796 series ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Garage
@Rosso Classico
Muppets Do you work for Goldman Sach by any chance?

Moving right along, the Progrip Gel Grips are all the rage on the Panigale forums.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ity-race-grips

The general consensus is that the PG 717 are the favourites. The 838 (too hard) and 724 (too soft)

Grip Installation video on a Panigale:

696DCRider and Rosso Classico like this.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959

Last edited by DarR; 06-02-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added video
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarR View Post
@Rosso Classico
Muppets Do you work for Goldman Sach by any chance?

Moving right along, the Progrip Gel Grips are all the rage on the Panigale forums.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ity-race-grips

The general consensus is that the PG 717 are the favourites. The 838 (too hard) and 724 (too soft)

Grip Installation video on a Panigale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmOzpHiUY0
Thanks DarR, appreciate it

So, regarding the OEM ones, are they really around 600€ (since there's the tps included) ? I also took a look at various online OEM service manuals and...i can't find the code for just the grips, in the diagram, the grip comes with the tps sensor so maybe my dealer was right, well, shit...

Had the 717's i think on my 796 and they didn't last long, that's why i got back to the OEM/stock ones which lasted me for a very long time and this is why i also want to go stock again on the 1200.

Thanks again bud

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 06-02-2017 at 12:47 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM

found OEM Ducati Grips for 821 Hyper just 2_mm shorter on Alibaba for 24.00 USD.... can't find the link for them now, but I liked em'... buying the throttle control now... the part is quietly part of your maintenance schedule,,, you'll see... working on a write up about that
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
found OEM Ducati Grips for 821 Hyper just 2_mm shorter on Alibaba for 24.00 USD.... can't find the link for them now, but I liked em'... buying the throttle control now... the part is quietly part of your maintenance schedule,,, you'll see... working on a write up about that
ummm whut? My Monster went through the whole maintenance cycle, there's no TPS replacement.

And Rosso, you love the stock grips or something? I thought they were trash for a street bike. As are all Ducati stock grips. I go with these as soon as I get a new Duck:

http://spidergrips.com/models/spider-peak-grip/

I usually get 20k miles out of them but YMMV since wow dude, you already wore out the stock grips? Those things are like rocks, I'm surprised they wear at all.
Rosso Classico likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 PM

There's no acknowledgement that you need to replace the throttle...none...but the part is problematic...I've faught with it since my first adjustment...and...technically there's nothing wrong with the part...it's the wiring...the connectors...I pulled it apart looking for a loose connection and only found heavy oxidation within the wiring... massaging the wire will get you 500-2000 miles but eventually I lost full throttle...87mph was it's limit...I've spliced in a fresh lead which brought things back to normal but I'm buying a replacement to be done with it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Garage
There was nothing special about replacing the Monster 1200 grip. I don't think that price is right...lol

I got the progrip 717 and so far I love it! Even if it wears out quickly, I wouldn't mind replacing it once a year if that.
Rosso Classico likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
ummm whut? My Monster went through the whole maintenance cycle, there's no TPS replacement.

And Rosso, you love the stock grips or something? I thought they were trash for a street bike. As are all Ducati stock grips. I go with these as soon as I get a new Duck:

http://spidergrips.com/models/spider-peak-grip/

I usually get 20k miles out of them but YMMV since wow dude, you already wore out the stock grips? Those things are like rocks, I'm surprised they wear at all.
Sonic, the OEM ones have always served me well, not too soft, not too hard and they last for a long time - at least on the 796, the 1200's, from what i've noticed are softer so maybe that's why they wear off faster, i'm about to do the 15000Km service now and they're in need of replacement so...
Also : "new Duck" eh ? Let me guess, new Supersport ?

Quote:
Buh, "OEM" and "Alibaba" don't go hand in hand, those are 99.9% knock-offs so...
And oh, read about the throttle control needing changing in early '14 models (Hypermotards too) since there was a batch that was faulty leading to the bike shutting off - is that what you're talking about ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post
There was nothing special about replacing the Monster 1200 grip. I don't think that price is right...lol

I got the progrip 717 and so far I love it! Even if it wears out quickly, I wouldn't mind replacing it once a year if that.
Thanks advan, yeah, that seemed off (to say the least), maybe Ducati has forgotten to list the code for just the grips in the diagram ? Not that it'd be a 1st...
As for the progrips, don't know, they're soooo soft that they melt like butter after just a thousand of Km's/miles, i'd like for them to last longer so...

Thanks gents for all the replies !

Last edited by Rosso Classico; 06-03-2017 at 03:38 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 06:17 AM

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3269....html#autostay

They say Ducati...they look and feel like my originals...lasted just as long too...but the throttle on the original has a cutout that isn't on these and are about 2mm shorter overall...hardly a complaint given the price

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode