Hotbodies exhaust? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Hotbodies exhaust?

While lusting over slip-ons, I came across Hotbodies' chrome tipped carbon fiber slip-on. Inexpensive, looks and sounds good. Experiences good and/or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

It's also referred to as MGP I believe. YouTube has a brief video.

And, Link to website:

https://store.58cycle.com/ProductDet...D2400&CartID=1
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM

Garage
You certainly can't complain about the price. I'm happy with the SC Project but I would take a serious look at this if I was in the market, especially on a budget. Thanks for posting.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:57 AM

I went the Danmoto route, bc after I chopped my stocker up it couldn't be welded back lol. I'm digging mine. Popped on decel initially already, still does, so can't blame the exhaust. Ordered some 02 eliminators, so hopefully that will dump enough extra fuel to take care of the popping/ lean condition. Point is, you'd likely need something similar. I will eventually have a tune, but in the time of need and low budget, this is what I'm hoping will be at least a temp fix. Also, I did a couple other things, but losing the cat and keeping the butterfly open also makes the bike much cooler to ride. B-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset at the Lake.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	205601  

Current: 2016 Monster 1200
Prior:2014 Monster 796, 2005 Harley FXD, 1994 Sportster 1200, 1973 Honda CB350F
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I just ordered the Danmoto. Very inexpensive, $150. I watched/listened to several YouTube videos. Looks good, sounds good. If it doesn't work out, I can put the stock back on. Bike runs great now, if it doesn't after the Danmoto, I'll take it off with little lost. Then maybe go with a different slip on. Was it simple enough to install?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Btw, where is the butterfly valve, and how do you adjust it open? Is there a way to do it without causing an error code/message? I've read numerous posts and it's not clear at all. Seems contradictory. Seems like if it's in an open position it should be fine. And, if it's not removed, or adjusted after the slip on is installed, any negative performance issue(s)?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:57 PM

I just ordered the Danmoto. Very inexpensive, $150. I watched/listened to several YouTube videos. Looks good, sounds good. If it doesn't work out, I can put the stock back on. Bike runs great now, if it doesn't after the Danmoto, I'll take it off with little lost. Then maybe go with a different slip on. Was it simple enough to install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider1 View Post
Btw, where is the butterfly valve, and how do you adjust it open? Is there a way to do it without causing an error code/message? I've read numerous posts and it's not clear at all. Seems contradictory. Seems like if it's in an open position it should be fine. And, if it's not removed, or adjusted after the slip on is installed, any negative performance issue(s)?
Hey. Sorry. Just saw these. Ok - I almost did a full write up on this, took pics and all, but I'll go the short route for the moment bc I'm at work - when I say closed, I actually mean butterfly operating
as intended as stock. I'll address butterfly questions last.

Looks good, sounds good. - Yes. Some "drone' with butterfly closed. Almost afraid I'd get a headache. Much better with butterfly open; still loud, but less droning - and slightly cooler temp

Change in performance - Butterfly closed, seems more powerful than butterfly open; more torque/ low end (0-4000). However, butterfly open is still very powerful, and noticeably cooler regarding
pipe next to the leg temp. Still hot, but not "oh shit! Am I on fire?!"

I still have popping, but can't say it's more than I had. That said - closed butterfly seems to be a little less than open. Also, the louder pipe may make the popping more
noticeable, though I don't think it's really increased. However, if it is, it's with butterfly open.

Was it simple to install - I'd like to say yes. Was it worth the headache for the cost.. Yes. I would still advise going through it, I wouldn't run from it because of any of these issues, but here's
everything, so you can be prepared just in case. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and it was difficult to
a) figure out how to mount with the lack of bike specific directions
b) hard to mount given that in some positions the exhaust seemed too close to the tire. So, I ended up mounting differently than intended likely, but feel like I have a more secure
mounting as a result. I can post pics later, but I'm mounted discreetly from behind the passenger peg so that the strap pulls the exhaust away from the tire and towards the
passenger peg.
c) the exhaust comes with a midpipe that attaches directly before the butterfly valve, which to answer that question is directly beneath the brake pedal on the underside of the exhaust
pipe. I'll get to playing with the butterfly, but for now, attaching the midpipe to this end of the stock exhaust was such a challenge that I tweaked a previous shoulder injury
before realizing it just wasn't going to work. TIP - Advance Auto and maybe others will do a loaner set of "pipe expanders". If it's not going together, give them $85 to borrow
the expander, you get it all back upon return, and expand the pipe if necessary. You will want to do this incrementally, of course. It would not be easy to rectify if you go too far.
You need to be able to get the tube over the stock tube but under the split sections and then get it all the way in essentially to get a snug fit. Get a high temp gasket maker while
you're at Advance or where ever, it will be 6-$10/ tube. Apply this as directed, as you don't want to go through all of this and have an exhaust leak and wonder if the popping is
from the exhaust pipe, or an exhaust leak..

Is this problem exclusive to the Danmoto? Probably not, and maybe you won't have the tight problem I did, but now you have the solution if you do. There is no heat shield
for this pipe, and it is "chrome" ish, so you will want to figure out anything you want to address with that before you have to fit/ refit this pipe. I knew I was going to wrap
mine, due to the heat that was already there from stock, so that's what I did. I also wrapped the short section under the seat. While I was going to be at it, I was going to
handle everything. If you have the expander and are only doing the slip on, that part could be done in an hour or so if everything fits, but definitely a night if you're
prepared and have to expand, etc.

OK - butterfly - Do this with a cool to the touch exhaust. Do this with a cool to the touch exhaust lol.
I doubt most do as much research on this, but you see some of the effecting results above already. There are all sorts of things you will see in the forums.
Yes, you will have better torque with it attached - You will also have more heat and more "droning" from this exhaust, and maybe others, with it.
No, it will not set off any lights IF YOU LEAVE IT ALL IN PLACE BUT JUST DISCONNECT THE CABLE.
So, to experiment with it for yourself, obviously you want to disconnect the cable. None of this should require much pressure at all. You can't hurt anything here. Undo the two small bolts under the black cover (10mm probably), take the cover off, you have a "spool" of sorts that you're looking at, with a cable running to it. First, you will find a small tab on the right side (front of bike side) and if you push that tab, you will notice the cable slacken. You want to push the tab til it stops, and with something round like needle nose pliers, not sharp like a screwdriver, you will not so much pull the cable, because you want to keep it in good working order so you can make changes, put it back, etc. So put the pliers between the cable and the "pulley" that it's secured in, while holding the tab to slacken the cable and guide the cable out of the small gap in the "pulley". I think at this point you are coming down and out of the pulley. With the cable slackened and now "free", you'll get the metal grommet free as well. Simply pull it down from it's hole. None of this should require much pressure at all if you have the tab pushed to allow slack in the cable. Once the cable and grommet are free, you should be able to release the tab slowly without anything catching. Don't do anything special with the cable, just make sure it can extend and retract an inch or two and not get caught along the way. Don't restrict it by tying it or anything. This is how you prevent the lights, etc. The lights detect that the cable moves, not the actual butterfly, so again, make sure the cable is free to move but won't get stuck.

With this done, your butterfly is now "always open". This reduces the restriction in the system, making it cooler, but also gives it slightly less torque on the 0-4k range. Slightly. There are also discussions as to back pressure, burnt valves, etc. I think about these things like this: engines and exhausts ran for YEARS without this crap, so if I'm not tracking every weekend with a less than perfectly tuned bike, everything is probably fine. I commute, ride hard when I hit a twisty road, specifically make trips to twisty roads and the Dragon, etc. On my 796, I undid the butterfly within the first 500 miles as well and never had a mechanical problem in the 13k I had on it when I traded it. Mark at the Ducshop said the internals were very clean when he did my valves, and the only other thing that would have affected that was my frequent oil changes (2500 miles/ Rotella T6). That said, yes, every bike needs a decent tune due to the lean condition from the factory. I never had one on my 796, I'd like to have one on this one at some point just to get as much out of it as possible, but undoing the butterfly will not grenade a Ducati. lol.

My 02 sensor eliminators were delivered today, so that's my project tonight. I'm hoping that will alleviate the popping that I had even before the Danmoto.

In conclusion, yes, I actually do love it after install. I got my Danmoto, my pipes wrapped or ceramic coated all for about $250, which I don't have to tell anyone is significantly more than most will pay just for a slip-on alone. So yes, I really love it lol. It is significantly louder than stock but still quieter than no pipe (holy shit!) which I did in the driveway for 5 minutes while trying to cook off the wrap. The exhaust sounds pretty tame at idle, but sounds like a Ducati race bike under throttle (imo) lol. Commuting, it literally sounds like I'm riding a race bike to work lol. I love it. But no, I don't THINK it's obnoxious either. I did come from open pipe Harleys though too.. ;-)

If you get stuck at all PM me. I don't have the little one tonight, so if I can help and jump on the phone it's an easier night for it.

PS- I would rather strongly suggest taking the lower/ jointed pipe off if the Danmoto pipe doesn't match up fairly easily, as you will likely use a mallet to LIGHTLY and carefully seat the pipe and connection and you will not want to f anything north of that pipe up in the process.. The springs are tight, don't be surprised. The Danmoto springs are tighter..
DarR likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

B - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS DETAILED EXPLANATION!!! If you would send pics of whatever there is to see, that would be great - photos of the end product will be very, very useful. Please include mounting area (rear support), that seems to be a little tricky. And as many other pics as you think will help.

The pipe is on order, expecting in a few days. I may get in touch if I get stuck.

Btw, I'm in the Raleigh area. I'll be making runs up to the mountains, including Deals Gap occasionally. The NC/VA border is the closest point for me to get to good riding. I'll buy you a beer for all the help - Thanks!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 AM

Garage
B0427, I'm looking forward to the "long" version of your write up!
B0427 likes this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider1 View Post
B - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS DETAILED EXPLANATION!!! If you would send pics of whatever there is to see, that would be great - photos of the end product will be very, very useful. Please include mounting area (rear support), that seems to be a little tricky. And as many other pics as you think will help.

The pipe is on order, expecting in a few days. I may get in touch if I get stuck.

Btw, I'm in the Raleigh area. I'll be making runs up to the mountains, including Deals Gap occasionally. The NC/VA border is the closest point for me to get to good riding. I'll buy you a beer for all the help - Thanks!
Hey man. No worries. I got a couple pics. Hopefully they upload. Yeah, that was the short version lol Does this work? Feel free to ask any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can directions.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	205721  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode