Monster 1200r Tire Survey - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Monster 1200r Tire Survey

Just burned through my first set of SuperCorsa's that came with my 2017 Monster 1200R,

What tires are all you Monster 1200 owners using?
What do you guys recommend for canyon carving?

Don't want to spend over 400 dollars every 2k miles for SuperCorsas!!

Last edited by sushifly; 05-23-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:41 PM

lol. Had to check this one out bc I knew that short mileage was coming lol.
This will raise a lot of hairs, and I can only say so much bc I traded mine shortly after, but .. here goes.. after going through my pirellis in 3k on my 796 (I know, less weight, less power) I went to the Road 4s and got 9k. Didn't love them, or the cost, so went with a new.. drum roll.. Shinko.
Price and durability was important considering I do about 1000mi/ mo. I got the Verge 2 front and back and it took 100 miles to love them, but after that... Man! So much sportier feel over the Road 4's (I know, ST tire). The Verge 2 was a dual compound as well, so was hoping the mileage was going to hold as long as the 4's maybe, but even if it was a little shy for the feel, I would have been happy.
How did they feel? Man! Those things wanted to live on their side! In a good way B-) The transition was really steep that first 100 miles on the front tire, so I weaved a lot to help flatten it. Probably about 50 - 75mi I was thinking it felt much better. By 100, I was loving it. Transition was smooth, rolled in nicely, and felt planted, superbly. Anyway, obviously I liked it and it's what I'm looking forward to trying again when I wear these stock ones out again on my new 1200. My .02.
sushifly likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Welp, 160HP is a lot different than 70 but maybe they're great. I used Angel GTs after the OEMs burnt off. No complaints other than a set that lasted about as long as the OEM tires. Pirelli at least gave me a pro-rated credit for them.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 PM

Garage
I have a friend that has a 1200R and runs Q3s and he gets about 2500 miles on them. I have a 1200s and I got 2700 from Diablo 2s, 3000 miles from Q3s and now on Diablo 3s. Most of my miles is canyons though so I've budgeted for tires every 3k miles
sushifly likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 AM

I just had new Road Pilot 4's put on my newly purchased '14 M1200S. Stock tires were shot at 2300 miles. I'll report back with mileage. Hoping handling will be good enough - if not very good. Any issues with the tires I should be aware of?
sushifly likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider1 View Post
I just had new Road Pilot 4's put on my newly purchased '14 M1200S. Stock tires were shot at 2300 miles. I'll report back with mileage. Hoping handling will be good enough - if not very good. Any issues with the tires I should be aware of?
The PR4's were a comfortable tire. This was all on a 796, so may be different on the 1200 which I have now too (not the road 4's). I got 9k out of mine on the smaller, less powerful 796, which was disappointing considering that I heard numbers like 12k. But.. I do like to get into the twisties in north GA and find twisty roads around me at lunch too. Trustworthy in the wet, and aggressive enough for the twisties. Had no problem getting on their sides. Had maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips on mine after aggressive riding, and this was my first "sporty" bike. Had to monitor air pressure on mine. Honestly, I need to test more tires to compare, but grip never let me down until near the end. Definitely started getting less trustworthy for the last 1000 miles, slipped a couple times in the wet in places where it shocked me. Was more conscious during this time, and drove the car more on wet days than I would have otherwise, until I replaced them.
I didn't like them over tar snakes, which I have a lot of on my commute. I was subconsciously aware of this, but after I switched to the Shinko Verge 2 which was completely unaffected by tar snakes, even when wet, I realized that had been a relatively conscious issue with the 4's bc I was always extra careful on them, especially when wet. I would think this would be more pronounced on a heavier, more powerful bike, but you'll have to report back.
Personally, I'm anxious to get the verge 2 on the 1200. It was much more agressive than the PR4's and should get much better mileage than the stock Pirellis as as well, as it's also a dual compound tire.
None of this is to say the PR4's weren't a great tire, they were, but like anything else, there were pros and cons, and for the price, you expect them to be perfect from beginning to end lol.
sushifly likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Garage
I like the Supercorsa's but not for the Monster 1200R as they’re overkill for my use. Notwithstanding, I just bought a set for the 959 Panigale to replace the OEM Rosso Corsas which are a better match as I will not put as many street miles on it.
When the Monster's Supercorsa's wear out (in a few months or sooner based on @sushifly and @advan031 mileage), I'm considering replacing them with a pair of Diablo Rosso III or the new Michelin Power RS as choices are limited for size: Rear 200/55 ZR 17
sushifly likes this.

Current rides:
2016 Ducati Monster 1200 R Badass Black
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959

Last edited by DarR; 05-24-2017 at 09:20 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
Welp, 160HP is a lot different than 70 but maybe they're great. I used Angel GTs after the OEMs burnt off. No complaints other than a set that lasted about as long as the OEM tires. Pirelli at least gave me a pro-rated credit for them.
True lol. I looked into the Angel GT's as well, and may again. What kind of mileage can you expect out of those on the 1200 do you think?
sushifly likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0427 View Post
True lol. I looked into the Angel GT's as well, and may again. What kind of mileage can you expect out of those on the 1200 do you think?
run through a few sets on the 1200 S. 6-8k miles except for the weird set I had that last less than 3k.

When I was using it to commute from Alpharetta to Midtown, 8k plus, once I stopped using it for that the Monster was mostly Suches/Deals Gap/etc duty, closer to the 6k figure.

But I'm a little....aggressive so as always, YMMV.

B0427 and sushifly like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post

But I'm a little....aggressive so as always, YMMV.
I find it hard to believe you're an aggressive rider, given your calm, non-nonchalant demeanour on this forum...

Personally, I ride like a goofball. Something I'm sure you'd have no way of knowing from my posts on this forum...
Sonic Duck and sushifly like this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode