Picking up my '14 M1200 S today! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Picking up my '14 M1200 S today!

After OCD level research I'm picking up my S today. Thanks to the forum and to Sonic Duck. Can't wait to ride it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider1 View Post
After OCD level research I'm picking up my S today. Thanks to the forum and to Sonic Duck. Can't wait to ride it!
Well, that was fast
So, are you buying Sonic's bike ?

Either way, welcome (again) and have fum with your new toy !
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

No, not his bike - but he did share a search and it is the one I bought. Great bike, great price. Getting oil change, basic service done right now. Riding home by the end of the day. It is purty !

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, yes, yes, and YES!!! Rode the S home, 1mile in Urban, 1 mile in Touring, the rest of the ride (about 15 miles) in Sport. With healthy respect.

Pegs, no problem.
Seat heat (adjusted full height), no problem.
Heat on right side (warm/hot), no problem.
Stock mirrors, good enough for now.
Stock exhaust sounds great.
Riding position more comfortable than I expected.
Power and handling - excellent.
Visceral - hell yes.
Character - loads and loads.

I had a Speed Triple 955 before the Concours I have now. The S is not that different of a feel (very generally speaking) than the Speed Triple. Naked bike category, so I wasn't unfamiliar. The S obviously much more of everything. Much more.

To get to the Blue Ridge mountains it's about 3 hours away. The S is comfortable enough that I will make the ride over and back many times. Once there, Oh boy!

My review - love it! Best/funnest bike I've owned (out of a dozen or so), the perfect mix.

And man is it beautiful sexy bike!

I have no doubt the R is great, for me, the S was a very good choice. I think it has all the power I can handle, it's comfortable, and the price compared to a new '16 or '17 was a great bargain.

Tip of the hat again to Sonic - many thanks!

So those reading these posts as I was, figuring out if they might like the M1200 - do yourself a favor, buy one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2744_1495148821497.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	205122  
DarR and 350LCjohnny like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes, and YES!!! Rode the S home, 1mile in Urban, 1 mile in Touring, the rest of the ride (about 15 miles) in Sport. With healthy respect.

<SNIP>

I have no doubt the R is great, for me, the S was a very good choice. I think it has all the power I can handle, it's comfortable, and the price compared to a new '16 or '17 was a great bargain.

So those reading these posts as I was, figuring out if they might like the M1200 - do yourself a favor, buy one.
NOW THE REST OF YOU FILTHY LOT APOLOGIZE FOR DISAGREEING WITH ME!!!!!!

Glad you like it NCR, it's a fine street machine, perfectly fine, no matter what these 'R' snobs say....but only because you got the S...a base model...ugh...so. base.

Now hopefully you have 24k trouble free miles instead of a cracked dash, a non-functioning rear brake, haphazard clutch, burned valves, scored cylinders, ruined pistons, and unglued tank emblems that Ducati paid a fraction on. Again, anyone want a 1200 S with 24k and fresh motor for $8k?

Ducati ownership, gotta love it. They just sent me my 3 year ownership survey....oh boy I've been waiting for this one.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 AM

NCrider, congrats my man !

Now, adjust your suspension ASAP, it transformed the whole riding experience for me since the default/stock values were too soft.

Also : Your mirrors are taken from a monster 696/796/1100/Streetfighter and are not the M1200 OEM ones - just thought that you should know
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Congrats! Base was the only one available for me, but loving it too. Still getting suspension and heat dialed in. Just got exhaust back together B-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	almost done.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	205138  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:

Pegs, no problem.
Seat heat (adjusted full height), no problem.
Heat on right side (warm/hot), no problem.
Stock mirrors, good enough for now.
Stock exhaust sounds great.
Riding position more comfortable than I expected.
Power and handling - excellent.
Visceral - hell yes.
Character - loads and loads.

I had a Speed Triple 955 before the Concours I have now. The S is not that different of a feel (very generally speaking) than the Speed Triple. Naked bike category, so I wasn't unfamiliar. The S obviously much more of everything. Much more.

To get to the Blue Ridge mountains it's about 3 hours away. The S is comfortable enough that I will make the ride over and back many times. Once there, Oh boy!

My review - love it! Best/funnest bike I've owned (out of a dozen or so), the perfect mix.

And man is it beautiful sexy bike!

Congratulations. That's a fine looking bike. Enjoy.

Andrew

2017 Liquid Cesspool Grey Monster 1200S and a 2016 BMW Triple Black R1200GSw
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

After getting in about 250 miles of local riding the past two days, a few comments...

In stopped traffic, and it's 85+ degrees, the right side gets pretty hot. Solution, I won't get in stopped traffic above 85 degrees. Didn't change how great the bike is. But to those curious, if that is a deal breaker, you'd need to look elsewhere for a bike you'd like that doesn't get so hot in that situation.

She does ride very "soft" or comfortable. Bumps etc., are no problem. I'm getting the message Rosso Classico - I will adjust the suspension to the stiffer settings. I'm curious what the riding experience will be like then. I'm not a mechanic so I'm a little hesitant to fool around with the settings. If the bike's performance increases with taut suspension that will be great, it's so damn good now. If it gets better - wow

I played around with the ride mode settings. I can see using Urban when it rains. I could get in trouble full power/sport mode in the rain. That would suck. Touring - it's hard to set the engine at Medium for tooling around riding - I want to have all she's got in the moments when there are opportunities to play. I set it on High engine in touring mode the last few miles but I think I'll put it back to Medium engine. The miles I rode at the Medium engine setting were great, I didn't really notice any lagging nor was I disappointed at all, not at all. I'll save the engine High mode for sport. It's so easy to change modes, I kind of like the idea that when "touring" the bike will behave a little, not so much I'll really notice. She does get a little "twitchy" in High engine while putzing around. So I guess they got it right having all this mode adjustability - well done Ducati.

The mirrors stink, I can see if there are cars back there, but very buzzy. And if I have my jacket on I see less, they just barely are positioned out enough to see past my arms. I've ordered CRG Arrow bar end mirrors to replace the ones that came on the bike. I like the look, hope they're less buzzy. But, I can cope with it if they are. And I know the positioning will be better regardless.

I think I'll stick with the stock pipes. They sound great. The slip ons or full systems would be awesome, I just don't need louder. And the stock exhaust looks fine as is. The cooler look is appealing of the aftermarket pipes, but again - perfectly acceptable as is. Save a little (or a lot) of money.

The display is hard to see if the sun is directly shining at it. I put it in night mode right away at the advice of forum riders. I haven't had it set in day mode yet. It's not really an issue. Minor problem, no way a deal breaker. And the missing gear indicator - it would be convenient, but I pretty much only use 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. It's really obvious as you ride whether you're in too low or too high of a gear. I'm expecting steady highway riding will be either 4th or 5th. Again, it's obvious when you need to go up or down.

Any conversation about a wind screen is just stupid. If you want or need a wind screen get a different bike.

There's not much space for any baggage. I don't want to load it up with side bags, tank bag, etc. for trips to the mountains. I'll just have to deal with a smaller bag strapped on the back of the seat. Rain suit, change of underwear, and a tooth brush. A little cash and a credit card and that's all I have to have. The bike is a dedicated fun machine, that's what I wanted and that's what I got! I bet the Multistrada is the perfect do it all bike, I'm sure it is. And no offense, but it's just ugly. I know, I'm superficial, but the Monster 1200 is just so damn gorgeous, I can deal with minimal luggage space and a little wind.

It's a cool morning (60 degrees) here in the Piedmont of North Carolina this morning. Heading out soon to do some more "research." Haha!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, the foot peg question. I was pretty concerned about this potentially being a problem before riding the bike. I wear 10 1/2 and wearing riding boots I'm fine with the set up. If you have big feet and/or you ride with the balls of you feet on the peg you're probably not going to be happy. I never really gave it thought before, I ride with my instep on the peg most of the time. A little moving around as I ride, but not a lot. Just saying, for me, it is a non issue. And glad for it, I'm fine with the pegs. Just enough room, but enough.

I do like that about the bike, just enough, and nothing more. It does what it does magnificently, but nothing more. I am amused by the various ride reviews I've watched on YouTube. Most are good or ok, and some are laughable. Idiots, some of them, but amusing. They obviously don't "get it" and just have no clue.

While I'm waxing on at random... I don't do track riding, just not my thing. It would be fun I'm sure. I can't speak to how the bike would do/does. It's easy to get over 100 mph, quickly. Bumping 120 plus is right there too. Over that, higher than 4th gear, for spirited riding wherever people feel they can do it (other than the track) I have no real world use for. At 120 or less the bike is fantastic. At 120 and over, a fairing would be very nice to have. For me, the curvy stuff, local backroads, a little city riding - the Monster 1200 S is damn near perfect.

Yeah, I think I'll keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode