Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Rapid Bike Evo?

19K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Matt Dennis 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm fixin' to pull the trigger on a Rapid Bike Evo tuner real soon and would like some feedback from those that have them.

Particularly:

1) was it worth it?!? I've installed these tuners on just about every bike I've owned and could baaaarely tell any difference.;

2). Installation? Was it a bear? Where did you put the module? My undertail seems pretty full after my LED load-flasher bits.;

3) if you had a shop do it how much time did they charge?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I have it. installed it myself in a about 45 minutes taking my time. I would purchase again. One thing I did not find in my research is that the seat must be in the high position for the module to fit under seat. I am short so that was a bummer. The performance of the unit makes up for that. I did shift tech exhaust and mwr air filter at the same time, so I can't say exactly what it would be like by itself.

#10 ·
rapid bike evo

Seems odd that that would throw a signal.. Do you have your butterfly valve connected? Have you considered disconnecting it if so? That also adjusts around that range as well, so maybe the 2 are playing against each other?

#9 ·
I've never liked piggy backed modules, but if you're going the PC route seriously consider getting the AutoTune feature too.
I have a riding buddy that put the PCV AutoTune on his MotoGuzzi and was very happy with it.
I personally think the money spent on dyno runs and custom tuning to your ECU gives the best results.

#11 ·
The CEL coming on/off with Rapidbike if the zones below 3K RPM are adjusted is a known problem for the Monster 1200. I had a map created by a dealer that included adjustments below 3K RPM and the CEL flickered on/off all the time. The bike also had terrible decel popping (Termi slip-ons and Ducati up-map from day 1).

If you rev the engine when the light comes on it goes off in a second or 2. Connect your PC to the Rapidbike and clear all areas under 3K PRM and set the lower limit of adaptability to 3K RPM and the problem will go away. The servo and butterfly have nothing to do with the CEL at these low RPM with the Rapidbike.

I have had the maps adjusted twice by dealers, one on a dyno and in each case the resulting map was worse than the original I got from Yaman and Rapidbike. I have reverted back to his original map and let the Rapidbike make it's own adjustments as I ride.

#14 ·
Doesn't this mean you're dash reading for ambient temp will be messed up? According to their site it will be; I love this idea but I like having a more-or-less accurate temperature reading. At anything below 23 C the little ice warning is going to come on.

#17 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update this thread. I pulled the trigger on a Rapid Bike Evo module. I ordered it from Motovation USA--I love those guys!

It arrived in 2 days and took me about 2.5 hours to install. Mainly because I've never removed the tank before and the two hoses on the front, port side of the tank were a pain. I should've just removed them from the source in hindsight.

1) The Installation
I removed the two bolts that hold the tank and steering dampner on. I loosened, but not removed, the center bolt that holds the tank clamp. I lifted the tank and hit the rubber "bump stop" deal. I lifted further and got past it but the hoses kept snagging. I used needle nose pliers from the starboard side and removed the spring clams and removed the hoses. This is a PITA!

I then plugged the unit inline per the detailed instructions and ran the wires as neatly and unobrusivley as I could to all the connection points. I tried to mount the unit, itself, under the seat compartment area with no joy. There just is not any room. Also, the rubber surface on the port side, inside the trelis frame, where the directions suggest to mount the unit on the R kept slipping and the provided velcro adhesive was not holding to that surface for any reason. I removed my undertail and looked for a place to mount it there but my LED loads were already mounted there so, again, no joy. I drilled 4 small holes on the undertray--right above the rear shock--and ran zip ties through the holes. I secured the unit on the exterior, above the rear shock.

I attached the provided USB cable and rant that to the inside of the underseat. I can now just remove my seat and use the USB cable should I need to.

2. Laptop Connection and Firmware Update.
I tried to connect with my laptop and was having connection issues. I emailed Motovation and also called Rapid Bike directly. They are ON TOP OF THEIR GAME!

Motovation advised there is no "need" to connect, just plug-in and ride! And ride A LOT! I like that idea.

However, my OCD needed validation that the most current firmware was on my unit. So, I called Rapid Bike.

Their customer service is TOP NOTCH. They were already aware of the problem. There is glitch with Win10 and she sent me a driver instantly. That was this morning. After work, I will go home and plug in, just to satisfy my OCD.

3. Misc.
On a side note, I got this unit because I KNOW my free flowing SC exhaust has my bike running lean. Our bikes are super lean from the factory as it is. My bike stalled in very hot conditions at idle so I pulled the trigger and bought this. However! Rapid Bike informs me that the unit does not mess with anything belwo 3300 RPMs. So, if I do have an issue with my idle in high heat conditions then it is something Ducati and I need to iron out. I'll be calling my stealership this week.

4. Riding
I haven't been able to ride it yet. I'm on "light and limited duty" and doc says no gym or motorcycle for about a week. I'll be sure to update you guys more once I'm able to ride.

For now, I would totally buy this thing again. Both, the dealer and manufacturer's customer service is very reassuirng that I purchased a quality product and that they both stand behind my purchase and their product!

#19 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update this thread. I pulled the trigger on a Rapid Bike Evo module. I ordered it from Motovation USA--I love those guys!

It arrived in 2 days and took me about 2.5 hours to install. Mainly because I've never removed the tank before and the two hoses on the front, port side of the tank were a pain. I should've just removed them from the source in hindsight.

1) The Installation
I removed the two bolts that hold the tank and steering dampner on. I loosened, but not removed, the center bolt that holds the tank clamp. I lifted the tank and hit the rubber "bump stop" deal. I lifted further and got past it but the hoses kept snagging. I used needle nose pliers from the starboard side and removed the spring clams and removed the hoses. This is a PITA!

I then plugged the unit inline per the detailed instructions and ran the wires as neatly and unobrusivley as I could to all the connection points. I tried to mount the unit, itself, under the seat compartment area with no joy. There just is not any room. Also, the rubber surface on the port side, inside the trelis frame, where the directions suggest to mount the unit on the R kept slipping and the provided velcro adhesive was not holding to that surface for any reason. I removed my undertail and looked for a place to mount it there but my LED loads were already mounted there so, again, no joy. I drilled 4 small holes on the undertray--right above the rear shock--and ran zip ties through the holes. I secured the unit on the exterior, above the rear shock.

I attached the provided USB cable and rant that to the inside of the underseat. I can now just remove my seat and use the USB cable should I need to.

2. Laptop Connection and Firmware Update.
I tried to connect with my laptop and was having connection issues. I emailed Motovation and also called Rapid Bike directly. They are ON TOP OF THEIR GAME!

Motovation advised there is no "need" to connect, just plug-in and ride! And ride A LOT! I like that idea.

However, my OCD needed validation that the most current firmware was on my unit. So, I called Rapid Bike.

Their customer service is TOP NOTCH. They were already aware of the problem. There is glitch with Win10 and she sent me a driver instantly. That was this morning. After work, I will go home and plug in, just to satisfy my OCD.

3. Misc.
On a side note, I got this unit because I KNOW my free flowing SC exhaust has my bike running lean. Our bikes are super lean from the factory as it is. My bike stalled in very hot conditions at idle so I pulled the trigger and bought this. However! Rapid Bike informs me that the unit does not mess with anything belwo 3300 RPMs. So, if I do have an issue with my idle in high heat conditions then it is something Ducati and I need to iron out. I'll be calling my stealership this week.

4. Riding
I haven't been able to ride it yet. I'm on "light and limited duty" and doc says no gym or motorcycle for about a week. I'll be sure to update you guys more once I'm able to ride.

For now, I would totally buy this thing again. Both, the dealer and manufacturer's customer service is very reassuirng that I purchased a quality product and that they both stand behind my purchase and their product!
Any final thoughts on rapidbike Evo? Thanks for ur time if you get to this.

#18 ·
@phantom menace Nice write-up.
I'll be anxiously waiting to read your follow-up when you start avidly riding again. As you have mentioned in one of your earlier post, I'm still having a hard time justifying the cost of this thing versus the expected benefit it could provide. I would certainly prefer to try an upmap first but both my dealer and I can't get the key or even purchase one although we know the part number. Notwithstanding, please keep us posted and again, well done.

#26 ·
I have the same Racing Evo scroll across my dash.
I install the RB Evo, and had all the other bits installed before I evey rode my M1200s. What I can tell you is, compared to other M1200s I have ridden, mine is smoother and pulls harder.
I dont think you will gain nothing by installing the RB Evo, you will get some benefits, and you can also install the RB quickshifter, which will work with the evo for a seamless shift

#27 ·
I have the same Racing Evo scroll across my dash.
I install the RB Evo, and had all the other bits installed before I evey rode my M1200s. What I can tell you is, compared to other M1200s I have ridden, mine is smoother and pulls harder.
I dont think you will gain nothing by installing the RB Evo, you will get some benefits, and you can also install the RB quickshifter, which will work with the evo for a seamless shift
Thanks for the insight Matt. I’m leaning towards ordering the RB and I hadn’t thought too much about the quick shifter, but I might take a look at that as well. I’m very happy with the bike so far, but am really interested in seeing what the RapidBike can do. If it makes the throttle response a bit smoother that will be a win, and even that alone, to me, is worth the money. If it pulls a bit harder, that’s a bonus.
This is basically how the Powertronic ECU I installed on my other bike performed and I’m fairly happy with it.
With the above in mind, I’m finding I’m getting used to the throttle response on the Monster the more I ride it, and I’m learning to be a bit smoother as I roll on the throttle when riding.

#29 ·
The RB Evo is brilliant. Just had my bike custom tuned, and have a look how the RB Evo keeps the AF perfect through the rev range, to give a steep and linier power curve, and a torque curve that presents more like a dining table

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.