Thinking about selling my 1200 s for Multistrada - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 28Likes

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about selling my 1200 s for Multistrada

Guys seriously lookingat an adventure bike since I have been doing long rides. Also, looking for some all year protection. Narrowed down to Multistrada and a BMW gs. Anybody do this change and regret it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

How much dirt? Which BMW GS?

BMW 800GS is a better choice if you're really putting the adventure in adventure touring.
MultiStrada is a better choice if you're mainly road-based, and mostly want to put the sport in adventure touring.
BMW big GS is a better choice if you're a really big guy, or are carrying a passenger or a lot of gear, and mostly want to put the comfort in adventure touring.

PhilB
DarR likes this.

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (259,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 AM

I haven't because I know I would regret it. Most would say the Multi would be a better choice for my riding as I take the Monster on a few week long trips a year.

I lust after a Multi with it's fancy cams, windscreen and cruise control but it's not worth the cost, weight, and height for the multitude of other shorter rides I do throughout the year. Truth is the Monster is just enough with the top case on it. I figure at some point I've gotten so far away from the elemental experience of riding that I might as well buy a Miata. I've always told my friends to shoot me if I ever buy a Goldwing. A Multi isn't anywhere near that bad but I fear it's one more step down a slippery slope.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Garage
I'm thinking of either the Multi 950 or the Africa Twin myself, but that would be in addition to the Monster and the Harley. I'm leaning towards the Africa Twin because of the off road capabilities and the fact I already own a motor home on two wheels (Harley) for long trips.
DarR and Classico Rosso like this.

2007 Sportster 1200C - sold
2014 Monster 1200S
2016 Ultra Limited
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Garage
The Multi is an awesome machine for both long distances and commuting. Although its ok for dirt roads, a lighter bike would be best if your riding lots of non paved.
As a "does it all bike" you'll be hard pressed to find better than a Multi. Do get the "S" version with the on-the-fly adjustable electronic suspension. BTW, the BMW's competitor to the 1200 Multi is the XR1000 and not really the GS line which is better for dirt roads. I came close to buying a Multi but I wanted a badass sport cruiser as a offset to the Panigale.

Current rides:
2016 Black Ducati Monster 1200 R
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959

Last edited by DarR; 01-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 PM

I have the BMW R1200GSW as well as the Monster 1200S in my garage. Best of both Worlds

My choice for my touring came down to the Multistrada or the GS, and the GS is a better bike IMHO for my riding in all respects. GS is stronger rear subframe for gear and passenger weight and more comfortable for passenger. It will take a couple of big panniers to hold a couple of week worth of gear, probably not a 'flickable' as the Multi and a little less power, but certainly no slouch. Cruise control and the ability to take on proper dirt roads to get to all those scenic spots.

Current Bikes
2014 Ducati Monster 1200S
2014 BMW R1200GSW
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:38 AM

I don't know much about Adventure but every time the subject comes up the bike we think are adventure are really a road mostly
bikes, some of them will perform not so well on dirt ...
So here is what this motorcycle website has to say ....
a good way to start is to shop around .... take your time, don't hurry
there are 6 of them here .... maybe others around ... but is a good start

http://www.motorcycle.com/mobos/best...e-of-2016.html

good luck
Cheers

on the ground a Big 18 wheeler
In the air a Huge 747...
Monster 1200
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Garage
@Scubaman
Since you haven't mentioned dirt, I'm assuming you're sticking to paved and still want some sportiness. Consequently, your BMW choices should be predominately among these:
R1200RS
F 800 GT
R1200RT
S1000XR

However, the Multistrada S with it's on-the-fly adjustable electronic Skyhook suspension is steps above anything I've ridden for flexibility. Price can be a big factor here. Choose wisely.

Current rides:
2016 Black Ducati Monster 1200 R
2016 White Ducati Panigale 959
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:01 PM

WRT the above reference to motorcycle.com, they did a 9 bike shootout in 2015 here which is more relevant, and is interesting reading.

I do wonder about their criteria for deciding the winner however when the KTM1290 Super adventure (the winner) "exhibited an unnerving weave above that speed", “Its tall shield would be nice on cold, wet or insect-ridden rides, but it was too obtrusive – even in its low position – for our coastal California environs, and it was also difficult to adjust.”

The Ducati got "The bigger and taller you are, it seems, the less you’re going to like the Ducati", and "Tom Roderick didn’t dig the Duc’s handling, complaining he couldn’t get it to finish corners without running wide, but it was our size XL Editorial Director Sean who liked the Ducati’s handling least, and took his vengeance by giving it a 7.5. Sean’s aggressive riding style, combined with his 260-pound mass and two saddlebags full of stuff, were just a bit much for the Ducati even with Sport mode selected and more damping dialed up; to him, the bike just felt too soft and hinged somewhere in the middle."

The BMW got "Nothing is as stable as the GS, and I mean nothing. Corners, high speeds, whatever, the GS is unflappable, even on the brakes in one of those bumpy, tight downhill corners through the gullies of the California Coast that terrified me on other bikes." and probably the most telling statement "The GS goes about doing everything you ask of it with mechanical precision,” says staff complainer Roderick, ”For many riders, its steadfast reliability to perform without much enthusiasm, though, may be viewed as kind of boring. It’s really hard to fault this bike, but then again it’s really hard to get enthusiastic about it either.”

So, if you aren't carting a bunch of gear and no pillion, and aren't tall, but want that shit-eating grin every time you start it, the Ducati's your pick. If you can tour on the Monster, then the Multi is easy. Best place to buy them 2nd hand is at your local BMW dealer.

If you don't let your ego spend your money, are past the stage of having to impress others, and want the most capable, but happy without that huge grin, then it's the GS

Oh, but don't buy the BMW luggage. Heaps of better stuff out there for the same or less money..

Oh, and the new Africa twin is indeed a good bike, but talk to someone who has had one a while. Surprising how many have traded them already.......

Current Bikes
2014 Ducati Monster 1200S
2014 BMW R1200GSW

Last edited by Deano747; 01-21-2017 at 06:06 PM.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
And the Aprilia Caponord lovely engine, handles well and comfortable for 2 for miles

- just too tall for a short4rse like me

Jon G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode