Tracking the M1200S for the first time... - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
omegarider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 115
Garage
Talking Tracking the M1200S for the first time...

Summary in five words... stock setup not tall enough.

Scraped the headers and side stand.

Stock brake pads will overheat after three laps, will switch to EBC next time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChatImage636180393176937563.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	200642   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChatImage636180474835092580.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	200650   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChatImage636183977227071679.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	200698   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChatImage636183977131405041.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	200706   Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChatImage636183977187763831.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	200714  

omegarider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 589
Mowr rear preload?
omegarider likes this.
Sonic Duck is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegarider View Post
Summary in five words... stock setup not tall enough.

Scraped the headers and side stand.

Stock brake pads will overheat after three laps, will switch to EBC next time.

That's why Ducati came out with the R model, raised at both ends. You could try hanging off more in the corners.
omegarider and 350LCjohnny like this.
rz33v4 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Classico Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 68
Welp, that's it, not tracking my bike , short rides and long trips for me this time, new bike, too anal to have it dented/scraped

Edit : How did the older monsters (up to the S4RS) fare in this department ? Models with exhausts on both the left and right side were scrape-town on the track from what i've been told, is that correct ?
Sbenoit22 likes this.

Last edited by Classico Rosso; 12-26-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Classico Rosso is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
Welp, that's it, not tracking my bike , short rides and long trips for me this time, new bike, too anal to have it dented/scraped

Edit : How did the older monsters (up to the S4RS) fare in this department ? Models with exhausts on both the left and right side were scrape-town on the track from what i've been told, is that correct ?
Earlier Monsters (air cooled) ran the front exhaust header under the engine, right down the middle, so no clearance issues.
rz33v4 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
omegarider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 115
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Duck View Post
Mowr rear preload?
Yeah good idea, I think both front and rear setup is a little too soft. At the moment it's the setting that came from the factory, I haven't played with anything yet and I find it a little soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
That's why Ducati came out with the R model, raised at both ends. You could try hanging off more in the corners.
I forgot if it's on this forum or somewhere else, but someone with the R model also scraped his stock headers on a track day. Yeah I will probably need to change my riding style a little and try to hang off more in the corners.

omegarider is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
omegarider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 115
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico Rosso View Post
Welp, that's it, not tracking my bike , short rides and long trips for me this time, new bike, too anal to have it dented/scraped

Edit : How did the older monsters (up to the S4RS) fare in this department ? Models with exhausts on both the left and right side were scrape-town on the track from what i've been told, is that correct ?
Track it, if you think about it, it's actually safer on the track, usually there is no soccer moms running around.
hyperspd7 and Classico Rosso like this.
omegarider is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegarider View Post
Yeah good idea, I think both front and rear setup is a little too soft. At the moment it's the setting that came from the factory, I haven't played with anything yet and I find it a little soft.



I forgot if it's on this forum or somewhere else, but someone with the R model also scraped his stock headers on a track day. Yeah I will probably need to change my riding style a little and try to hang off more in the corners.

From my experience you'll need more fork/shock preload and more compression damping in the fork to handle track duties. The forces you apply when braking on a track are much more severe than anything you normally do on the street. Of course when the front end "dives" you lose ground clearance.
hyperspd7 and omegarider like this.
rz33v4 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Bono61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 117
The way I see it .... the Panigale, the GSX-R, the Ninja, the R1 etc , those are track bikes ..... now the Monster is not a track bike ..... it is just a bike you can take to the track which is totatlly different, it has limitations ..... is a lot of fun and can teach a lot about its performance and limits.
As I wrote before is the way I see this bike .... no conflict with anyone

Cheers
For everyone ..... be the next year a safe, productive and plentifull one
omegarider likes this.

on the ground a Big 18 wheeler
In the air a Huge 747...
Monster 1200
Bono61 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 AM
Member
 
Monster795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono61 View Post
The way I see it .... the Panigale, the GSX-R, the Ninja, the R1 etc , those are track bikes ..... now the Monster is not a track bike ..... it is just a bike you can take to the track which is totatlly different, it has limitations ..... is a lot of fun and can teach a lot about its performance and limits.
As I wrote before is the way I see this bike .... no conflict with anyone

Cheers
For everyone ..... be the next year a safe, productive and plentifull one
Couldn't agree more.

Follow my build thread: Custom Ducati DraXter 90th Anniversary Build

2013 795 ABS - DraXter
2016 Panigale 899
Monster795 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome