Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2017 monster 1200s

31K views 80 replies 24 participants last post by  DesmoDerek 
#1 ·
Looks pretty much like the 1200r. Comes with quickshifter, fuel Gauge and gear indicator. Any chance that qs will be backward compatible with our bikes?

#7 ·
You can also hunt for it on the Ducati web site. This was not easy to find, LOL. It showed up in a message box that linked to the 1200S page

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/monster/index.do

If you scroll down a bit you will see:

Monster 1200 S
The new Monster 1200 S sharpens that Monster sports performance to an even finer edge thanks to premium componentry such as the sophisticated Öhlins suspensions and the Brembo M50 braking system. Moreover, the Monster 1200 S features the Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) up/down system, wheels with three Y-spokes featuring exclusive "S" graphics and a front carbon mudguard.

#11 ·
So I've been thinking about getting a Monster, but wasn't sure about one thing that maybe you guys could help me out with. For the 2017 model year, has ducati said whether or not the R version will share the same body style as the 1200S?

#17 ·
Me too but no cruise control, no deal for me. I'm keeping the one I got until Ducati gets their heads out of their collective asses about cruise control. There are many uses beyond touring and why does Ducati even care? Just take my money. 2017 1200S with Cruise as a $200...$300...$500 option? Sold, I'll pre-order and trade my 2014 in right now.

#22 · (Edited)
Gents, warning, this is going to be a long post :

Ducati, for the past few years has been shitting new M.Y's left and right...
Yes, there's always room for improvement of a product BUT, these are 18K+ toys we're talking about, basically, IMO, they're up to the point of alienating their already existing customers/user-base.
What, you spent 18.400€ for a Μ1200S 2 years back ? **** you, here's the new, re-styled model for early 2017.
Got a 23500€ Diavel Carbon back in late 2014/15 ? **** you, here's the new re-styled Diavel for 2016, Same thing with the Pani...
We're (almost) down to new smartphone/new Call of duty video game release schedule territory here boys for Christ's sake, what's next, YEARLY re-releases ?

Really, it's about the whole snake-oil kind of pitch, i mean, back in 2014 you had the M1200 and M1200S, same motor but the 1200 produced 5HP less - WHY ? (suddenly, the 2017 M1200 produces the same 150bhp as the S model)...
The S models always featured better equipment, yes, why the 5 HP difference though ? And while we're at it, why the de-tuned TS 11' motor from the get-go ? Why didn't they release the monsters with the full power (around the 160bhp mark) back in 2014 ? Maybe because they already had a new "more powerful" Monster in the works for it to be released after just a couple of years down the road (M1200R) ? I mean, you could see that **** coming from miles away, c'mon... :wink

We're not talking about "hey, we resolved some issues with previous M.Y's" and "here, bike comes with new...rims and graphics", nope, we're talking about almost new bike/model - even Gargamel...eeerm...Claudio Domenicali presented it to be as such.
Shorter wheelbase, smaller dimensions, more e-gizmos, quickshifter, different headlight and more HP, i mean, wtf - and this just merely 1 year after the M1200R, you know, a 20000€+ bike - you already know what's coming next, the 2017/2018 re-styled and improved M1200R, they've become incredibly transparent as a company - more so than they used to, THIS is my whole enstasis with the company, you can see from a mile away nowadays their upcoming sales-pitch, f*ck that...
If i were a M1200R owner i'd be incredibly pissed right now gents.

You already know what's coming next, right ? a new re-styled M821, 1200R and - maybe - for the last year of production a 1200RS model - just a couple of months before they unveil their next-gen monster :devil

Back to the 2017 M1200...technical upgrades aside...i don't know what they're smoking over at borgo Panigale, Audi's/German input
must be getting stronger - it's about the small, ugly details in my honest opinion...
You had the Diavel with that nice round headlight...only to have its looks destroyed by that Alien Queen, weird-looking headlight on the re-designed one, sure, it was full LED but it looked just wrong compared to the original one...
Enter the new monster : stubbier headlight, weird geometric-shaped sculpted parts (look at the undertail part and heatshield on the right header for example on the newer model), uglier re-designed instrument cover (kinda looks like the previou's gen's), reshaped seat-cowl and so on so forth - some of the beautiful curves are gone, enter angles.
Also, that weird "liquid-grey" color scheme, **** man, looks like some **** AMG would produce, doesn't look like a Duc, if you were to remove the logos from the tank would you recognize it as a monster ? Senna Grey (with red touches/details) would have worked, this one though ? i know it's a personal opinion but...nope.And let's not get started about the new MTS1200, doens't look remotely like an Italian bike - that's what companies like MV do better, the Turismo veloce 800 for example ? Pure Italian sex - the MTS1200 looks like an Angry bird that got hit with a hammer...in the face...and its sides.
Again, part of Ducati ownership is also about the details.

Finally, i think that re-designing the whole bike (because, let's face it, there are lots of improvements) was a mistake on their part :
So, you have your engineers and designers designing and producing an "exotica" product only for... back-peddling after only 2 years by releasing the new one ? It makes it look like their original vision of the bike was wrong, i'm referring to the longer wheelbase, bulkier dimensions and - generally speaking - more comfy ergos, like many reviewers mentioned back in 2014, the newer monsters were/are more 'touring-worthy" if you're into that kind of thing.
Now you may argue that monsters aren't meant to be "sport tourers" and/or "roadsters" ("Miavel" anyone ? ;) ) and what have you and that they got their original vision (the 2014 model) wrong from the get-go by releasing a "roadster" and not a sport-naked bike like the monster always was but...it's what they released, that was their initial vision and they should have sticked with it, this revisionist history can only hurt their image IMO as you can't put much faith into them anymore since, no matter the fact that you've spent almost 20K on one of their products you're going to get screwed in the near future after buying it since you know that they'll release their "new" one one year and a half/2 years later.

If they wanted to release a "new" monster they should have waited til' the next-gen release, sure, they could have changed the footpegs and other minor things (it'd be the normal thing to do seeing the complaints) but this new one ? it's like they're actively trying to - again - alienate their already existing fan/userbase...

Sorry for the long-winded posts, add to me 5HP and more e-gizmos if wrong :smile
Cheers

#43 ·
If i were a M1200R owner i'd be incredibly pissed right now gents.
BTW, I enjoyed your long rant and see some of your points. However, I don't agree with the snippet quoted above. I bought a bike, not a model line. I particularly don’t give a rat's tail as to what it looks like in the future. I only care about what I have now. That does not mean I would not like some new features in the future but that’s a bridge I will cross at my next purchase.

#23 ·
I agree with Classico Rosso.
Being a recent 2017 1200R owner, I am very disappointed that the new 1200S is too close. Less the wheels and slightly less horsepower, it overall has better equipment. When they come out with the 2017 and a half M1200R with all new upgrades I for sure will be pissed. Should have waited....

#25 ·
All of that only matters if you care about the status of having the latest, if you're comparing yourself and your possessions to everyone else.

If it was a good bike that was worth the money when you bought it, it still is. If it wasn't, it still isn't. What they change, make, or don't make from then on doesn't have any effect on that. You got a nice bike, ride it. Don't worry about what someone else has.

PhilB

#38 · (Edited)
<shrug> No matter when they release a new or updated model, there will be people who just bought the outgoing one. So -- stop releasing new models so that no one ever gets upset about being "gushed" by a product improvement? Or any time a new model is to be released, discontinue the previous version ahead of time and don't sell any for a couple years, so no one has to bear the horror of having their nearly new bike upstaged by the new kid on the block? FOMO is no way to live.

PhilB

#39 ·
I could comment, but since I currently own 2 Harleys as well, I'm probably the last person that should be trying to make a logical argument about motorcycle purchases! At least you know horsepower figures really don't mean anything to me![cheeky]

Now where is that MV Agusta brochure...:grin

Reactions: M1200
#42 ·
I agree with classic rosso, but the most important thing about my bike (monster 1200s stripe?) is that i fell in love with her from the first glance, i like that is curvy and big, sounds very good, lots of power, I don't like the R so much and definitely not like the new monster 1200s, less big, not curvy, shorter, uglier, i think they nailed it with the 2014 monster s. Regarding the new tech, they easily could have put it in 2014 and i would be happier, but all that tech in a bike less sexy than the 2014 monster can go suck corporative dick.

I also don't like dozens of new models every year, and in my opinion the new bikes of ducati are not Sexy enough, the definition of Sexy is the 2014 and 2015 panigale.

I was thinking of buying a panigale in the near future, but all this shenanigans made me think trying other brands is the smart thing to do.

The monster was my dream bike for quite some time and I think holding to 2014 was destiny because for my taste that monster is the real ****.

#45 · (Edited)

Well, apparently, they fixed the invisible TFT display (notice the different angle that's now mounted) and the footpegs thing... ;)

Now, fix my 2015 stalling problems Ducati ffs, not giving you 1500+€ for the "privilege" of the Termi up-map & cans...

PS : That grey colour is ghastly...and costs more than the base red livery by 200€, as they say over my part of the world : "lol".

#47 ·
Well, apparently, they fixed the invisible TFT display (notice the different angle that's now mounted) and the footpegs thing... ;)
PS : That grey colour is ghastly..
Yes, but they fixed both the display and the right foot space issue in 2016 on the "R' model. I totally agree with you about the grey colour. The scheme is also very plain. I have yet to see any critical comments from the motorcycle press. No-one has questioned what's to be of Ducati's flagship "R" model for 2017 which is under-featured relative to the "S".

#46 ·
The above video is ok... but not much more than that. He just regurgitated what every reporter on payola has said.
First error: he said (power excepted) the 1200 S is a good beginners bike. What the "blank" does that mean? The Monster 1200 is not a starter bike IMHO.
Second: the passenger foot pegs are easily remove...pointing to the left side. What about the right side which supports the exhaust canisters?

Again, IMHO, a great many of these reporters are just extending the manufacturer's propaganda line...a lot like mainstream media.

#49 ·
That seems to be the case...so far...
According to SportRider, the 2017 S is priced at $16,995. On the Ducati's USA website, the R is listed at $ 19.195.
For $2200 you get Marchesini forged wheels, bigger and better tires, a steering damper, a mini screen, a metal tail-light bracket and a slicker paint job. However, among the most significant improvements, you're giving up a QuickShifter, a better ABS system, DWC, and an updated display panel.

#51 ·
Here's another example of the press NOT doing their job by NOT asking the critical questions:
Power!
Apparently the 2017 S sports the latest version of the 1198cc Testastretta 11-degree engine. However, it has the same compression ratio and throttle bodies shape and size as the 2016 R.
Consequently, what are the differences in engines and what makes the R produce 10hp more?

#53 ·
Your guess is as good as mine. If it's just software mapping and not hardware related, why not give it 10hp's more? Ducati has nothing to gain by de-tuning. Again, where's the Motorcycle Press guys as they should be all over this?

#57 ·
I can see both arguments but with that said...

I would have liked the QS and less shitty rear sets but I'm still loving my 2015 1200s that I got back in May with 4800 miles and counting. I actually sat on the 2017 1200S yesterday and the slimmer tank looks nice but the new controls "feels" cheap compared to mine.

#62 ·
This review says IMU, cornering ABS, wheelie control, up AND down quick shift (he actually does it in the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDDoIKmIwGo

Don't know about the 2017 1200s but, yep, that looks like the typical Euro downtown traffic congestion.

Laughed at the "...smells like clutch and brakes in this town" line, oh how true that is...
To my fellow 'Murrican monsteristi : you know nothing about lane-splitting unless you've done it over here:devil

Man, i really do love my continent :grin

Monaco looks friggin' lovely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.