Battery location WORST setup ever created - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 29Likes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery location WORST setup ever created

First off this battery is the biggest pain in the ass to get out. I have 3 additional positive wires I'm trying to connect to the battery but the bolt is only long enough for 2. Is my only option at this point to pay ducati to sodder them into the fuse box? Ive had 3 previous Japanese bikes and was able to get 4 extra positive cables on the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 PM

Make a pigtail to go on the battery post, then connect your extra wires to it rather than the battery post.
shift26 and oldndumb like this.

07 S4RS, 96 900 SS, 06 Busa, 77 Bonny, 00 Superglide, 78 SR500, 85 Sportster
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc96cr View Post
Make a pigtail to go on the battery post, then connect your extra wires to it rather than the battery post.
Exactly!

Why create a sodding problem when all you need is to be smarter than the machine.

An alternative is to crimp 2 wires per terminal.

Personally, I appreciate the fact that Ducati engineered the battery location below the CG. They could have taken the easy way and put it under the seat, above the CG.

BTW, you actually do not need to remove the battery to access the post. Just say to yourself, I'm smarter than this machine.....over and over until it sinks in.
shift26 and BushyAR15 like this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2 of my positives have fuses attached. Currently I can't even get the dust cover to bolt back on because there is no room. I can crimp 2 together but I really doubt they will all cramp under that cover. The fuses would need to go under the dust cover because both of them are too short to run outside. Despite the benefit of dropping COG lower, not worth the tiny space left to work on this bike
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't get all pissy with the machine or the designers when they are doing exactly what they wanted to do with the battery.

You, on the other hand my friend, are trying to shove 7 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag. Whose fault would that be?

Step back and ask yourself, does this battery do what a battery does? Does my bike start when I press the go button? Do the lights work when asked? Then it is working exactly as designed.

Have you considered using a lug at the solenoid? The heavy battery cable comes down to the solenoid and there is a threaded post there. Have you considered not needing so much crap to enjoy the ride? Honestly, you sound like the type of person that overloads the sockets in your home with piggy back plugs for all your gadgets. Go to any auto parts store, or Tractor Supply, and you can buy a 6" or 12" or 14" cable with eyes on each end. Buy a 1/4"x20 bolt and nut, put one end on your battery and one end use the nut and bolt to huuk up your gadgets. Then insulate it from grounding.

Or leave it all at home and enjoy the ride.
Deano747 likes this.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< blew that sum bitch up! New engine build soon. Rest in pieces sweet heart. 10/14/2016.
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spent the afternoon learning to sodder. Got it working and 3 leads is not something I would consider excessive. Mike you don't need to be a d about it, just trying to get my shit working like I have on previous bikes. I live in the northeast need a heated liner to ride through winter, live in a city so have anti theft and need a battery tender lead. Not all of use live in the suburbs with a garage/private parking
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 07:30 PM

I agree... battery location = HUGE fail. Guarantee it was the B or C choice when designing the bike. Oh well. We bought it, gotta live with it.

Which actually raises one hell of a question...

If we went with a lithium battery, could it be located under the seat? Hmmm....

14' Monster 1200S
16' ZX-10R

DIY undertail covers... http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...il-covers.html
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r19matt View Post
Spent the afternoon learning to sodder. Got it working and 3 leads is not something I would consider excessive. Mike you don't need to be a d about it, just trying to get my shit working like I have on previous bikes. I live in the northeast need a heated liner to ride through winter, live in a city so have anti theft and need a battery tender lead. Not all of use live in the suburbs with a garage/private parking
Seriously, if you are an adult and have never learned/needed to solder already, as opposed to sodding, you ought to consider handing the project over to someone who is proficient. You would be much happier.
shift26, icottier and Caswa like this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspd7 View Post
I agree... battery location = HUGE fail. Guarantee it was the B or C choice when designing the bike. Oh well. We bought it, gotta live with it.

Which actually raises one hell of a question...

If we went with a lithium battery, could it be located under the seat? Hmmm....
How can it be a fail if I am happy with it?
And, don't tell me to sod myself.
As for putting a lithium battery under the seat, Samsung has enough of them for a fire sale.
shift26 and 350LCjohnny like this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 AM

If you sir are happy with the battery location, then you are a sadist. haha

Seriously though, if I could fit a lithium battery under there and simply extend and/ or re-route the battery cables to that location? Seems legit. Many of those batteries are quite small nowadays!
Lylas and 350LCjohnny like this.

14' Monster 1200S
16' ZX-10R

DIY undertail covers... http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...il-covers.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode