Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

M1200 weird noise (?)

15K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  dest_77 
#1 · (Edited)
'Evening boys

You know the feeling when as soon as you get a new toy you start scrutinizing everything about it ? :grin well, here it goes :

I keep hearing guys this strange noise that it's driving me mad, remember when we were kids and we'd put a card on the rear wheel of our bicycles ? It's like a constant "HHHHhhhhhRRrrrrrrRRRRrrrr" for a lack of a better explanation and it's coming from the front of the bike.
At first i thought it was water cooler breaking through the wind creating this high pitched sound (or something not screwed properly in like the plastics from the water cooler) but apparently it's not - my mechanic took it out for a ride today and said it was normal(?) and it's because i come from a 2V air-cooled motor that i find this sound strange.
Well, thing is, i don't remember the 848, m821 and Diavel (2nd gen) that i've also ridden making this strange sound, then again, the motors are different so...

These videos "feature" said sound - strange thing is, i'm not sure it's the same sound or wind noise that's getting picked by the action-cam :

^ same guy, camera mounted on the same spot and there's difference in sound between the scrambler and the M821...

and

https://youtu.be/SOxMEwqSFjI?t=4m

I find it kind of worrying to be honest, and while the warranty is there in case anything happens...

"Too long, didn't read" version : Strange "hhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound emanating from the front of the bike, mechanic says it's normal but i still find it weird.

Cheers [thumbsup]

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, after watching about a friggin' gazillion videos on youtube and also reading various posts on various forums in various languages :Dseems like that noise i described is...normal.
****'s driving me crazy though as it's high-pitched, no prob after the 100+km/h mark though as wind-noise takes care of that :grin

My mechanic told me the other day that it's just the engine noise of said motor and also jokingly said "man, no 2 same Ducati engines make the same exact noise" - specifically referring to the TS 11' motor derived form the Multi1200 after having other owners asking about engine noise(s).

Again, i've ridden mostly air-cooled Ducatis so this seems strange to me (the noise that is), wish i could find an MTS1200 or M1200 to test-ride as to compare the noise...

Oh well...

#4 ·
Rosso, wear some ear plugs, problem solved. :laugh

j/k man :grin, I think I know the sound that you're referring to and I believe it's normal, especially after you started this thread, because my bike makes the same sound too. At first I thought maybe something came loose, but my mechanic checked everything and found nothing. Anyway, I'm learning to ignore it.

:devil

#5 · (Edited)
Rosso, wear some ear plugs, problem solved. :laugh

j/k man :grin, I think I know the sound that you're referring to and I believe it's normal, especially after you started this thread, because my bike makes the same sound too. At first I thought maybe something came loose, but my mechanic checked everything and found nothing. Anyway, I'm learning to ignore it.

:devil
Omega, i think i love you :grin

Funny, my first thought was also that - that something came loose...
Since it's apparently normal...guess i'll get used to it, it is bloody annoying though, it gives me a damned headache...

Oh well, Ducatis man, what can you do ? ;)

#6 ·
Although I read that the noise comes from the front of the bike ..... I had a rumbling noise and it was the rear pegs outside metal washer ..... solved it with dental floss in between the washer and the frame ..... couple of loops and a knot
Maybe just maybe

Cheers

#8 · (Edited)
Ok guys, it's not the pegs.

I'm not an OCD type of dude, it's just that this is the weirdest sounding bike i've ever ridden and i'm actually very curious now as to why it sounds like this - i know, different motors = different sounds, still, the Diavel that shares the same motor doesn't have this sound - at least that's what i remember after having test ridden it...

In the 2 videos below you can clearly hear the sound that i'm describing, it's a constant rattle-like sound which seems to emanate from the front(?)

http://youtu.be/hDZizvAq3Y4

and

http://youtu.be/jzpT1xKm9DI

^ start the video at the 2:28 mark

They're both 821's but the sound's exactly the same, besides the (usual) engine noise there's also this constant "chhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" rattle-like sound - thing sounds like a friggin' tractor... :D

Basically gents, could anyone with engine/mechanical knowledge be kind as to explain why the motor sounds like this and why bikes with the same motor don't produce this sound ? The Diavel at least, never ridden an MTS1200 so i wouldn't know.
Unless, again, it's not the motor and said sound's produced from something else - like the huge water cooler for example ?

Really curious about this, apparently it's normal so my mind is at ease, still, i'd like to know the reason.

Cheers

#9 ·
Listened to all the videos, I hear the noise you are concerned about. Mine makes the same, but i've never considered it abnormal.

Maybe it's the difference in the way the exhaust is set up from the Diavel.

Termi's & earplugs............

#12 ·
Yes this sound is normal for this model. And Sonic Duck is basically correct as to the air box being the culprit.
All Ducati engines use light weight/thin wall engine casings and without any sound dampeners such as backlash eliminator gears etc. etc.
Due to this these engines are mechanically noisy and some models are more noisy than others.
As for the Monster 1200 and Diavel motors being the same - not so much - they share the engine displacement but that is about it.
Camshaft timing and valve lift has a drastic effect on engine sounds.
The engine placement in the chassis and the surrounding components such as airbox - electronic components - fuel tank - and cooling methods will effect the outcome of engine sounds that you hear while riding.
Even adding a windscreen to a bike will amplify engine sounds that would not normally be heard by the rider.
In this case the culprit is a combination valve timing - airbox design and placement - and the fueltank material and construction.
Without getting too technical - Do Not Worry - your bike is OK - the sounds in the video are completely normal for this model.

#13 ·
Yes this sound is normal for this model. And Sonic Duck is basically correct as to the air box being the culprit.
All Ducati engines use light weight/thin wall engine casings and without any sound dampeners such as backlash eliminator gears etc. etc.
Due to this these engines are mechanically noisy and some models are more noisy than others.
As for the Monster 1200 and Diavel motors being the same - not so much - they share the engine displacement but that is about it.
Camshaft timing and valve lift has a drastic effect on engine sounds.
The engine placement in the chassis and the surrounding components such as airbox - electronic components - fuel tank - and cooling methods will effect the outcome of engine sounds that you hear while riding.
Even adding a windscreen to a bike will amplify engine sounds that would not normally be heard by the rider.
In this case the culprit is a combination valve timing - airbox design and placement - and the fueltank material and construction.
Without getting too technical - Do Not Worry - your bike is OK - the sounds in the video are completely normal for this model.
mister Ducati, thanks for finding the time to explain all that thoroughly, really appreciate it my good man, if i was close beers would have been on me ;)

After a couple of weeks searching through the intrawebs i concluded that the sound is normal so i stopped worrying and yet, i was still curious as to why this is such a noisy bike since, again, i find said sound incredibly annoying...
Now couple that with the fact (before i knew it was "normal") that "weird" engine noises are not usually a good sign and...

Don't know guys, every one has its own personal pet peeves with this bike - what with the non easily readable dash, footpegs etc etc - that, well, i actually find it strange that no one mentioned it before, i mean, this thing sounds like...a rattling can full of nails for Christ's sake - and i've ridden Ducs with dry clutches... :grin

Footpegs not an issue for me (43Eu size shoes), matte screen protector works wonders for the dash (kind of:grin) but this? It really is a nuisance to say the least and not fixable, sincerely hope it won't drive me mad on my next trip when i'll be 8hours+ on my bike...

Thank you guys for your input and help, cheers

#15 ·
I still wonder what y'all are hearing...guess I can't hear it over the ringing in my ears. Finally an upside to the years of abuse from loud motors and music!

(seriously kids, wear earplugs, wind noise alone can make life annoying later in life. Granted, mostly for those trying to talk to you in noisy places. So if you're an asshole and don't listen to anyone anyways, maybe it's a benefit and you get used to the ringing eventually. Nevermind, totally lose your hearing. It's a gift :devil)

#23 ·
I have a set of custom moulded earplugs. You have to go to a place that does them and they inject a substance into the ear that moulds to your shape.

However, the soft foam ones are good as well.

As others have said, you actually hear better with them in as it filters out all the really crappy noise. So traffic noise is fine, sirens are fine, wind is lowered, engine is sweeter :)

Your in-helmet speakers will work just fine with them, just need it at a higher volume.

#26 ·
Rosso, you should try some plugs too, might slow down the process of driving you crazy. :laugh

Thanks, great to know you guys are also using in-helmet speakers. Custom molded earplugs are probably more comfortable, but not sure where I can get them locally though. I will try some soft foam ones first. :grin

I wear these Moldex ear plugs....mostly cause I get 'em from work, but they work very well.

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/sparkplugs.php
Thanks, the local online store also has these and the Meteors. They have so many it's starting to get confusing. :laugh According to Moldex's website, it seems like the Meteors should be the most comfortable. I guess I will try all of them since I can get them in single pairs. :devil

#31 ·
when I was working in oilfield, we had to wear earplugs. Depending on the outer coating some are smooth and rough. the smooth ones tend to stick to your ear canal and when it was time to remove them it felt like it was sucking your ears out. Licking them before inserting ensured they were able to be removed without discomfort.

#34 ·
I was about to take my 2015 1200s to the dealer for the exact same thing, I too thought it was the wind maybe but then i hear it at idle all the time. 696 never did it. It's like a constant high pitch metallic rattleing sound yeah? If so I wont bother taking it in. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.