Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Chinese knock off mirrors

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Jason Duerr 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
TRK, those are just like the CRG Arrows ;)

From my experience, not all things Chinese are of the same quality and/or equal, case in point, my Rizoma knock-offs (no way in hell i'd spend 90 bucks for just ONE mirror/180 for the pair) were of terrific quality, both the aluminum stalks and the glass/mirror part.
Another buddy got the same mirrors but from a different vendor and...they had nothing to do with mine, imperfections everywhere and the mirror part was like it was cut down by hand with a pair of friggin' scissors before getting fitted into the indentation...
Also -and this goes pretty much for most Chinese anodized parts - their colour fades easily, like, in just a couple of months : black turns into a gold-ish/brown-ish colour, red into pink-ish etc etc, a good option would be to go with brushed aluminum if that's an option.

#3 ·
Thanks. I kind of already knew that but I was hoping that someone was going to tell me they got them and they were amazing.
I would rather just spend the extra money one time instead of buying something that I will just have to replace because of the reasons you mentioned.
Thanks

#4 ·
I haven't bought those exact mirrors but the Chinese mirrors I have bought have been fine, same with adjustable levers. I have had no fading of the anodizing . My bikes are parked inside at night.

#5 ·
Since you are obviously considering trying these why not pop for them and report back? Seems to be a cheap experiment/learning opportunity.

BTW, earlier posts re Chinese quality variances and anodizing deficiencies are quite true. Whenever I go to bike supplier expos the Chinese products can be easily spotted by their garish tones. Having said that, my observation is that regardless of country of origin, most blacks will fade over time. There are exceptions but it can vary across a complete product line; as though they use more than one anodize processor.

#8 ·
And as much as I buy Pit Bull, Shift-Tech, CRG, etc for buy 'Merican blah blah blah, I must admit my CRG Arrows have bronzed even when being equipped on garage kept bikes. That being said, they are 5+ years old so I don't feel like I got gipped and I kinda like the worn patina look.

#7 ·
Thanks for the wise insight oldndumb. I will order them because I'm curious and I will report back. Although I do like to buy made in America, I also agree that the country of origin does not necessarily guarantee the level of quality. Once I bought a USA t-shirt with the American flag on it that was made in China and it lasted me a long time.

#9 ·
Rizoma's anodizing is...pretty good (it should be, considering their prices), seen lots of mirrors/bar-ends etc etc on bikes that i know for a fact that their owners ride all the time and the colour has held extremely well - blacks are still deep even after years etc etc...

But yeah, country of origin means jack and **** most of the time, case in point, my anodized Ducati performance oil filler plug and bar-ends started to fade out after just one year - and i park it in a garage so...yeah ;)

#10 ·
Yes I bought the same mirrors (all black color). They are heavy, well made and seemed like a steal. Until I rode with them a few times. The mirror housing piece that attaches the ball to the mirror comes loose and strips out. I wold say avoid them! i was able to semi repair them by popping the glass out and gluing the inside with some gorilla glue.

#11 ·
Yes I bought the same mirrors (all black color). They are heavy, well made and seemed like a steal. Until I rode with them a few times. The mirror housing piece that attaches the ball to the mirror comes loose and strips out. I wold say avoid them! i was able to semi repair them by popping the glass out and gluing the inside with some gorilla glue.
Well, that settles it then, looks like those 20 bucks would be spent (much) better on beer... :D

#17 ·
There is definitely a difference in items from different vendors. You will notice up close on those items the body of the mirror looks painted, not anodised aluminium. I have bought a number of sets of chinese knockoffs mostly because they are cheap and I was not sure what style I would like, or how they would work. The cheap ones come as painted die cast. The slightly more expensive ones are actually billet. Look very very carefully at the images for the machine marks to spot it.

There is also a big difference in the ball joint material. They cheap ones have cracked for me, and they they move at high speed. The slightly better ones never move at speed and are firmer to adjust. The actual mirror bodies in your item look the same as one of the types I have, although the set I have use different arms to the handlebars. These are the type that failed for me, both of them!

Then there is also a difference in the mounting hardware. Those with a smaller bolt head will usually have the same thread as the factory Ducati brass spreaders that come on the stock bar ends, and you can re-use these as solid mounts. Those with a larger head use a different larger thread, and use those alloy spreaders to lock in. In my experience they move around too much. The Ducati mounting method is the better option.

Of all of the chinese knockoffs I bought, I ended up using the type that come with a bar end, have a small round mirror, and you can mount the mirror on the side or the end of the bar end. These were cheapest, were all solid billet alloy, and the mirror had the best quality and visual range. This type http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1tgAAMXQjUNR1Tmw/s-l500.jpg I just mounted in on the top of the bar end so it does not stick out too far.

I hope this feedback helps someone.

#18 ·
I say get them- I just got some standard mount 'carbon fiber' mirrors from a 'US seller' and the only think American about them was the reflection! but they are solid.. for now, its been 1 week. I don't care who makes it (or the instruction language for that matter) I'm just not trying to wait a month ePacked from Hong Kong....

when I buy parts I want them NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.