Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Killed my 1200s

15K views 79 replies 27 participants last post by  Mikefred 
#1 ·
So, Saturday went for a ride. About 30 minutes in it started to make horrendous noise and locked up.
Get it to the dealer and they drain the oil. All kinds of crap came out.
They pull the oil pan and (see picture) that came out.

6900 miles on it. Got it last October.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
No answer yet on what the cause was.
The regional rep from Ducati pretty much said its done (meaning not worth the time or money to rebuild) and most likely gonna get a new one slapped in.

But if they do a rebuild, since they have to tear it down, I can have some work done like port/polish, cams and other stuff and the labor will be free.

#13 ·
Bitch and complain until they decide sending you away on an R will be cheaper in the long run.

#19 ·
Great relation and all, I think I'd be pissed enough that installing a new motor in that frame wouldn't make me happy.

I'm a matching numbers kind of guy. I'd think that the resale value of that bike just took a $1,500 hit as soon as someone found it had a replacement motor.

New bike time. It's under warranty. Let them install a new motor in the bike and sell it right off the sales floor for whatever they think it will be worth with a replacement motor.

#21 ·
I realize the "numbers" don't match but when a potential buyer asks for the "maintenance receipts" and sees a ticket for "whole new engine" that could be a turn off. Ever hear of CarFax, yeah kinda like how that does when a car looks great but was in a wreck. It might be repaired better than new, but who will pay more for it than a non wrecked and repaired car or, in this case, motorcycle?

You pretty much tear the entire bike apart to get that engine out. Now I'm not trying to talk smack about Ducati repair technicians, but it will never be the same as a bike built in a factory setting. Every nut and bolt gets removed and reused, wire looms will never go back quite like they were, etc.

Once you break that hymen, she can never be a virgin again. This bike can be a born again, but should never wear white on her wedding day.

Am I just talking ****, yes. Yes I am. Does it matter to everyone? No. Does it matter to some? Yes. Does it matter enough? I don't know. Are you a gambler? If answering yes, then it doesn't matter. Would you hide or tell a potential buyer about the huge disclaimer? I know every Ducati I look at I call my local dealer who then checks the history through DNA before I make a used purchase. Will other buyers know to do that? Some yes, many no. What would a dealer offer you as a trade in compared to a non Frankenbike? All very legitimate questions for the OP. I've personally purchased for myself over 200 motorcycles. These are the things I ask and look for when I'm making my offer.

Worse yet would be if DNA does not ship a wooden crate full of shiny bits. God forbid they ship replacement parts. I've seen it. First hand at the local. The dealer begged for a new engine, instead they were told to piecemeal it back together. Now you've got a technician completely building your blown up bits back into a running engine using a little of this, some of that, and more of this. I'd rather drink a glass of stripper tears than deal with that.

Reactions: oldndumb
#23 ·
Where can one acquire said glass of stripper tears?

I completely agree with what you say about it running the potential of a complete FrankinBike.

If it was any other shop in town, I'd be completely 100% about give me a new bike. But these guys do full race builds often and would trust them completely to not "**** it up" so to speak.
Hell, they did all the work my daughters 749 track bike. I trust them with her safety if that says much about my confidence with them.
I ride the hell outta my bike. 6900 mile and on its third set of rubber so far. I've had it to the track a number of things this year as well. (Shameless plug for my video: https://youtu.be/24D14ANrIu4 )

All this being said, I do have a few irons in the fire with this, to maybe spin into an R.
Just with what I've done to this one would kinda suck. I REALLY do like it.

#27 ·
Unless they come out with a completely insane spec'd Monster, I honestly don't plan on getting rid of the bike for a long time.
That little bit more that the R offers doesn't thrill me quite enough to sell my S to "upgrade".

Had it been out when I bought my S, then sure, I would have got the R. But at this point, I don't see the need to change unless my dealer can work something out to spin me into one because of this situation.

So, a new power plant in it doesn't concern me one bit as long as the bike is right

#32 ·
Let me be clear, not saying my S is special or anything different than other ones.
I just don't see losing money on my bike which I got last year, to "upgrade" to an R.

8-10 pounds lighter.
15hp more
8ft pounds more torque
Dampener
Don't recall, but 20mm taller?

So, no, not worth it to lose money to gain that.
Would definitely like one. Just not enough to take the loss.

#33 ·
Agreed ..... nice to have though .. but then again it cost way more
A new engine is a new engine,it is not been rebuilt .... new warranty and everything.
even if you have to sell it .... the receipt says New Engine and is back up by Ducati

Cheers

#36 ·
And now, for something completely from outerspace.......

DNA has denied the warranty on my engine as of today . Awesome huh???
They are stating that the Rexxer flash and Akra system, because they are not "Ducati Performance Approved" it voids my warranty.

A rod broke in the motor.
My Rexxer flash and exhaust has zero to do with it.

Youre going to ask, so I'll give it to you exactly as it came from Dave at Rexxer what was done:

"FB011403 mapping update to disable exhaust servo and retail open loop for best idle and drivability. O2 disabled. No other modifications were performed per your ECU form as stock bike with known low speed drivability issue.
Let me know what additional information you are looking for as this was a very simple map mod. "

Thats it. That was sent right from Rexxer along with all other information to DNA. Ducati Italy denied the claim.
Didnt advance any timing or raise rev limiters or any other horsecrap like that.

I "spoke" with DNA today- twice, and they're standing by their decision. Unless it's an "authorized Ducati Performance modification"- Termi system and Termi up-map, you face the potential, should something occur, of being denied a warranty claim.
Hell, I'm glad I didn't tell them forged magnesium wheels and a 14t on it. Or changed fluid reservoirs......

I've owned 3 Ducs. This isnt my first foray into the brand and I'm not a weekend warrior or a collector.

Maybe this is a premature post, but right now, Ducati can go _____ themselves. I may not ever own one again.
And this fight isnt over either......

#37 ·
Well, that really sucks. It's not at all unreasonable to be mad, and to take an assertive attitude when you get pissed on. You went in looking for a reasonable solution, just to be made whole again, not to try to take advantage of anything, and they screwed you. I wish you good luck in your fight, and hope they will see reason and get you fixed up.

PhilB

#38 ·
Theres a side of me that kinda gets where they are coming from. Here's the guidelines of the warranty. Venture outside those lines and warranty is void.
I would understand if the changes actually were a part of the failure of the motor.
This clearly wasn't.

The other part of this, is my dealer. They're sitting there wondering what the greater impact is of other bikes they have done, and should there be a catastrophic failure like mine, is the same position gonna be taken by Duc.

Not to mention, THEY recommended I have the flash for exhaust done. So I have that little nugget as well.

Had I just liked the Termis, this wouldn't even be an issue. I'm just not a fan of the sound or look on this bike.

I'm going to bed....we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Stay tuned!!!

#40 ·
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives"

Looks like a legit case

#42 ·
They were always going to say no to this at first regardless of how legit it is because of the costs involved and potential implication of acknowledging that "their motors blow up for no good reason" if they just went ahead and approved the claim. They are making you fight or go away. It's not over but they are going to make you work for it even if it does poison you to the brand; they always seem to forget about that part, right GM? (long story!)

#43 ·
It's a bunch of BS. I'm sure they can access information through the ecu to tell them if you caused the problem. A broken rod is not because of an exhaust or the rexxer flash. You should not have to fight but unfortunately most companies now a days don't care about customer loyalty. Every motorcycle mfg. knows people are going to change exhaust and maybe tune the bike. It should not matter unless they can prove that those changes caused the problem. I hope there is someone on this forum that can offer you some legal advice.
Sorry you are going through this. Keep pushing in a professional non threading way. I have had similar situations where perseverance paid off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.