Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

First ride, finally!

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  omegarider 
#1 · (Edited)
Last weekend I finally did my first ride on my new baby! I installed a few mods on her already. This is actually my first Ducati, my previous bikes were all inline fours. So I rode her for about 50 km, when I got off the bike I noticed both my hands were numb! Is the amount of vibration normal? Never had this problem before, but my mechanic said it's normal for twin cylinders. I had the CRG Arrow mirrors installed with ADG weighed mirror adapters, but I don't think this is the problem?

Other than the vibration, loving the machine so far!

:devil

EDITED: I did a quick search on vibration, just for the record I did keep her well over 4K rpm during most of the ride.

:nerd

See less See more
#2 ·
I think its normal, mine vibrates quite a bit as well but nothing excessive. That's what I liked about the bike as it got character and I like to feel the engine. Don't give me a smooth bike that I can't even notice the engine in it because I'll just take it back lol.

#4 ·
I think I will just need some time to get used to it. I have no problem with some vibration, I just have problems with my hands getting numb, which can be dangerous. :grin

You could remove those humongous ADG weights and try riding with the normal setup to see if there is any difference.

If no difference, then something is wrong with the bike, or you are riding with a death grip on the bars.

True, Ducati twins are not as smooth as IL4's, but not to the point of numbing your hands.
Haha they're actually not that humongous, but yeah I think I will try the CRG adapters and see if they will have any improvement. :grin

See, it's not as humongous as you think. :laugh They actually look pretty damn good I think, it will be a shame if they are the real culprit! :crying

#3 ·
.....I noticed both my hands were numb! Is the amount of vibration normal? Never had this problem before, but my mechanic said it's normal for twin cylinders. I had the CRG Arrow mirrors installed with ADG weighed mirror adapters, but I don't think this is the problem?
You could remove those humongous ADG weights and try riding with the normal setup to see if there is any difference.

If no difference, then something is wrong with the bike, or you are riding with a death grip on the bars.

True, Ducati twins are not as smooth as IL4's, but not to the point of numbing your hands.

#6 ·
Indiscriminate addition of weight(s) to dampen vibrations caused by a rotating mass is merely a shot in the dark.

The real problem is why is the bike vibrating to the point of hand numbness? Either something is mechanically wrong, or maybe he is holding the bars extremely tight with rigid arms.

One possible course of action is to have a friend (not a dealer mechanic) who is very familiar with Ducatis do a test ride.

#11 ·
I ride mine since 33'500km now and never had probs with numb hands from vibrations (the same on my 1299S). I get numb hands on a S1000RR with their high frequency vibrations.

If there is not a technical issue and your body position and your grip are ok I would try the ProGRip 717. A further possibility are the gloves. I use on the Monster (compared to my trackbikes with stub handlebars) half a size bigger to be sure that my fingers have enough space (with a little reserve). If the the gloves fit very close I get also numb hands when riding longer distances.

#13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting about the gloves, because the ones I was using on that day were brand new out of the box, so they were still a little tight. I hope this is the actual problem.

Definitely try new grips. Get the gel or duo density grips. I currently have a pair of driven racing dual density grips. They are slightly larger outside diameter than stock which is nice and they will help with vibrations a little bit. A good glove with padded palms will also help. My hands will get numb if I don't support my upper body by squeezing the tank with my legs. The monster definitely has more vibrations than an IL4.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at some grip options. But I think I will try to ride a few hundred kilometers first before changing anything. If I can overcome it without changing anything it would be great.

:grin

#12 ·
Definitely try new grips. Get the gel or duo density grips. I currently have a pair of driven racing dual density grips. They are slightly larger outside diameter than stock which is nice and they will help with vibrations a little bit. A good glove with padded palms will also help. My hands will get numb if I don't support my upper body by squeezing the tank with my legs. The monster definitely has more vibrations than an IL4.

#18 · (Edited)
90 degree twins have a different vibe at a lower frequency that never has bothered me. Though I can't stand the inline 4 cylinder high frequency buzz in the slightest
I've ridden bikes from all the Japanese big four on longer rides and never had any problem with the frequency. Hopefully with more mileage on the 1200S I'll be able to get used to it.

Invest in one of these. You won't be sorry. Best damn mod ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Cruise-2wheelride-Universal-Throttle/dp/B00ERXG4TM
I'm 6'1" with longer arms. I also had issues with undue pressure on my wrists causing numbness and pain with the stock bars. I tried cutting them down, turning them etc. Finally just bought new bars that are flatter and now I'm much happier with the position.
Thanks for the suggestion. Never used one of those before, plus there are quite a lot of traffics where I live, so I don't know if something like that will help.

Good information, I might try turning the original bar first. A flatter bar like the Rizoma drag bar, I've read from another member that the flatter position caused issues in cornering?

I recently experienced this for the first time while riding my M696 on a 350 mile one-way ride, which was 200 miles further than I'd done before. The gloves were my Dainese Carbon Cover, which I'd previously found to be the most comfortable gloves I've owned with more than marginal protection.

On the way home, I didn't have the issue, so maybe the gloves broke in more on the ride out.
Interesting, coincidentally this new pair of gloves that I was using is also a Dainese. I have the 4 Stroke EVO, the short version. I thought it's pretty comfortable, so I hope it will change once it's broken in more.

#16 ·
I'm 6'1" with longer arms. I also had issues with undue pressure on my wrists causing numbness and pain with the stock bars. I tried cutting them down, turning them etc. Finally just bought new bars that are flatter and now I'm much happier with the position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.